2007 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Lease it dont buy
By vantage01 on 10/26/14 18:38 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

bought this car new i loved it but not the 18 trips (yes 18 i counted )i made to dealership in the first 36 months of ownership for various issues and the six full sets of tires i went through in the first 4.5 years the car hit 80k drank a quart of oil every week drained my pockets for small issues till i sold it to an acquaintance at 101,000 after i did timing chain. new buyer told me engine main seal and turbo went at 114,000 cost him 2500 he sold it after that. i loved the car was so fun to drive but after being so used to the reliability of an Lexus i was so unprepared to own such a problematic car.

A Very Bad Investment
By choulli on 05/04/14 05:48 AM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007. It was a fun & happy ride for a very short time. Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent approx $5K in repairs (not maintenance) including: new brakes new tires tailpipe recall coolant & water pump recall timing chain oil pump (1st tow) water pump & new seals thermostat (2nd tow) driver's side window mechanism driver's side visor Front suspension is shot & clutch is in need of replacement. Car is under 50K miles & less than 8 yrs old I am trading it in for a Subaru & I will not buy another.

2007 mini cooper S - run now!
By anita28 on 01/27/14 13:16 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used mini cooper S - it had 39000 miles on it and 5 owners before me. I ignored that warning sign because it was so cute and so fun to drive - big mistake. I loved that car and had it for 1 yr before I traded it in - too many problems to list but the last one was a recall. I knew from experience that Mini dealership would say it was something I did so I traded it in. They never covered anything - ever - it was always my fault. I spent over 2,000 bucks on it in a year. I love the car, always will but I can't afford the repairs. For a Mini car it has Major expenses, are you prepared to pay that price? I wasn't - driving a Toyota now and very very happy with it!

Six years in, still love it
By adra21 on 10/21/13 15:01 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in the fall of 2007, and still really love it. It handles well, it's fun to drive, it's good-looking, and it does everything I need it to do. It fits into smaller parking spaces (a very nice perk in a city like Los Angeles). Overall great car and I can't recommend it enough. The thing to bear in mind about my feedback: my prior car was a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, so VERY different. And if you're thinking of transitioning from a bigger car to this car, be aware that you'll use your horn a little more, because sometimes people just don't see the car when changing lanes.

I like it... when it works.
By moosamabob on 09/05/13 21:27 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car used with all the bells and whistles of 2007. Except for a reliable engine. While everything looked great on paper, it just doesn't deliver on the reliability front. B/t 70k and 80k miles, it's been in the shop for the timing chain, high pressure fuel pump, exhaust manifold, and the oil filter housing, each of which cost at least $1000. Plus other misc repairs. In all I've dumped $2300 into it since I got it a year ago. Thankfully I bought a warranty, doesn't cover everything though. On top of this, it has a very harsh suspension w/ the 17" rims, it's pretty noisy inside, it consumes way too much oil, everything for it is expensive, and it's entirely a pain to own. Not happy.

Cute but designed to fail
By garyenum on 12/05/12 21:00 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The time chain self destructed at 40k miles and the engine has to be replaced. The technician said that the parts how that there was a problem for a while, judging the wear marks on certain parts. He also said that timing chains only last 30 or 40k miles. Don't buy a Mini. If you own one sell it before the timing chain breaks and screws up the internal parts such that the engine has to be replaced to the tune of $8,000. Dumb design, I was a dummy for buying it.

Do Not Ever Buy a Mini
By rc_rasmussen on 12/05/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

What a fun car to drive!! What a horrible car to own!! I've had nothing but maintenance issues with my mini. It's too bad really, cuz I was such a huge fan for the first 2yrs I owned the car. Since then though, never again. I've had all the same issues with the timing chain and tensioner, up to the climax when I was told I would need a new engine at 86k miles. Cost 8000$. Mini agreed to help pay for 0!! I'm now at 98k and the engine has started to seize. I was extremely dilligent in maintenance. Other issues include airbag sensors breaking, replacing a water pump at 52k - cost : 1400$. The kicker - I just finished paying it off 3 months ago.... Save yourself the 24k$

Lots of Fun for the Enthusiast
By aburg on 02/17/12 11:13 AM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought our S 6spd used in 2010 with 28k on the clock. We chose a Mini S because we wanted something that got decent MPG was fun to drive and was a little different. It has fulfilled all of those things and we are extremely happy with it. We knew that buying a Civic or Corolla would probably be cheaper and more reliable but it would also be a lot more boring. The Mini has been in the shop now and again but we knew it would probably take some up keep going in. We bought our Mini used, it still had some factory warranty on it and we added an extended warranty ($1,800) which has turned out to be useful.

Expensive to Own
By mnw on 02/16/12 12:14 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had a blast driving my S. It is a sports car noisy and stiff ride but you would expect this. We removed the back useless sets and installed Seat deletes.

Fun to drive when not being fixed
By oliveb on 12/22/11 22:15 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2007 MC used with 24,000 miles. It was the perfect first car for me -- small, easy to park, fun to drive. However, around 50,000 miles the car's reliability took a turn. This year it was in for service 7 times, towed twice. Everything from steering wheel locks to o2 sensors has needed to be replaced. It has started to overheat, and make discontenting sounds. Alignment pins have started rattling (not covered in warranty - $700 to fix). After a recent service trip the service light was at 10,000 miles and two weeks later its at 7,000 - no possible way I drove 3k in two weeks. My mom and sister both have brand new minis and love them, so perhaps this is a car not to be bought used.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.