Used 2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love and Loathe
By Kelly

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

If you insist on buying a Mini, then buy a new Mini and the extended warranty. The warranty will pay for itself after the first repair. Be sure that you have support in your area in the form of a dealership or a garage that is known for working on Minis. (It is very difficult to find an independent garage that excels on Mini service and maintenance.) Sell the car before the warranty ends. If you keep it after the warranty expires, be ready to pay $1000 and up for each repair, and there will be numerous repairs, for example, the water pump (replaced 2x), thermostat housing, oil pan seal (replaced 2x), moonroof repairs, rear door latch (replaced 2x), cylinders misfiring, oil leaks, axle seal replacement, etc.) I loved how the Mini Cooper looked and drove. The handling, especially around corners, was amazing. This car was truly enjoyable to drive. For the size of the car, it had a lot more cargo space than expected. I used the Mini for trips to warehouse stores like Sam's Club and Costco. I loathe the car, however, because of the cost to maintain and the frequency that it was in the shop being repaired. This car is not reliable or practical in terms of cost and upkeep. Due to the overall cost to purchase and maintain, I will never buy another Mini again.

Mmmm... I got mixed feelings!
By scooterluv1

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely loved it the 1st year! The 2nd year, not so much ($3000.00 sunroof repair, timing belt issues, $700.00 brake job, $300.00 emission issues, etc.). The 3rd year, it's just okay... I still like the car, but am no longer in-love w/it; I'm actually thinking of trading it for a new age Chevy Camaro. I've owned at least 8 BMW's (& loved all for the most part) and I expected much much more a BMW product.

Quickness, high fun level, interior roominess/features/design, exterior features/design, solidness, performance, great gas mileage, etc.

Need for premium gas, seeming poor product material, expensive of repair & poor service at the BMW dealership.

Don't Say You Weren't Warned
By Bryan Parry

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got sucked into the sporty performance and good look and then... I owned a preowned MCS '07 w/ 39k on it for THREE MONTHS before selling. Let me say that again THREE MONTHS. I experienced the following. Random Limp modes and stall outs in the middle of traffic. Timing Chain "death rattle." Carbon build up. Frozen throttle/ unable to start. Multiple engine misfires in cylinders 1 & 2. Inexplicable grinding into third gear (had a brand new clutch btw). Inexplicable problems with power locks including the hatch randomly opening itself. Cabin rattles. This car was clean and maintained right on schedule. I was the third owner. I finally threw in the towel and got a Mazda

It does have super good handling and acceleration...assuming the little monster actually starts, runs, or doesn't cut out in traffic. The body is very well built and the looks of this car are alluring...but DO NOT BE FOOLED, there are MAJOR KNOWN BUILD DEFECTS. I was so proud of this car and then so devastated by it's complete and total unreliability.

Here is a list of defects and reoccurring issues that destroy what should have been an "ultimate driving machine" that you WILL encounter: Timing Chain (under recall but goes repeatedly, could twist your driveshaft). Clutches (expect a new one every 40K even if you know how to shift like Andretti). All manner of electrical system issues (stuck moon roof, mysterious opening hatches, failed locks, etc.). Pwr Fuel and Water pumps (repeatedly). Turbo heat shield recall. Frozen throttle (condensation freezes in throttle box, wont start, no perm. fix per MINI USA), Carbon Build Up (every 30K, this is due to the direct injection system). IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF DRIVE TRAIN/ ENGINE!

Don't but get the Panoramic roof option
By timmylee1958

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had wanted a mini cooper for some years. After finding what I wanted, in my price range, I purchased a 2007 base hatchback with 49k miles. The car was in super nice shape. Mechanically it ran and drove excellent. It has been an absolute blast to drive. It gets some super fuel economy. I was getting better than the average. 34.5 mpg combined. Then the trouble started. Sun roof stuck open. $1100 to install a used Sunroof just 5 days after I owned the car. Dealer said this is Common? The replacement sunroof had so much wind noise it sounded like a wind tunnel. 2 months later the replacement roof failed I just sealed it to help eliminate the wind noise. Dealer

Handling, Fuel Economy, Just a extreme blast to drive.

Don't even offer the Panoramic roof. This option would be a deal breaker for me in the future. Get rid of the smart fob and use a REAL key to start. Make the oil dip stick easier to read.

Lease it dont buy
By vantage01

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

bought this car new i loved it but not the 18 trips (yes 18 i counted )i made to dealership in the first 36 months of ownership for various issues and the six full sets of tires i went through in the first 4.5 years the car hit 80k drank a quart of oil every week drained my pockets for small issues till i sold it to an acquaintance at 101,000 after i did timing chain. new buyer told me engine main seal and turbo went at 114,000 cost him 2500 he sold it after that. i loved the car was so fun to drive but after being so used to the reliability of an Lexus i was so unprepared to own such a problematic car.

6 speed trans, styling, interior mood light, dual sunroof