Used 2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Don't Say You Weren't Warned
By Bryan Parry

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got sucked into the sporty performance and good look and then... I owned a preowned MCS '07 w/ 39k on it for THREE MONTHS before selling. Let me say that again THREE MONTHS. I experienced the following. Random Limp modes and stall outs in the middle of traffic. Timing Chain "death rattle." Carbon build up. Frozen throttle/ unable to start. Multiple engine misfires in cylinders 1 & 2. Inexplicable grinding into third gear (had a brand new clutch btw). Inexplicable problems with power locks including the hatch randomly opening itself. Cabin rattles. This car was clean and maintained right on schedule. I was the third owner. I finally threw in the towel and got a Mazda

Favorite Features

It does have super good handling and acceleration...assuming the little monster actually starts, runs, or doesn't cut out in traffic. The body is very well built and the looks of this car are alluring...but DO NOT BE FOOLED, there are MAJOR KNOWN BUILD DEFECTS. I was so proud of this car and then so devastated by it's complete and total unreliability.

Suggested Improvements

Here is a list of defects and reoccurring issues that destroy what should have been an "ultimate driving machine" that you WILL encounter: Timing Chain (under recall but goes repeatedly, could twist your driveshaft). Clutches (expect a new one every 40K even if you know how to shift like Andretti). All manner of electrical system issues (stuck moon roof, mysterious opening hatches, failed locks, etc.). Pwr Fuel and Water pumps (repeatedly). Turbo heat shield recall. Frozen throttle (condensation freezes in throttle box, wont start, no perm. fix per MINI USA), Carbon Build Up (every 30K, this is due to the direct injection system). IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF DRIVE TRAIN/ ENGINE!

Don't but get the Panoramic roof option
By timmylee1958

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had wanted a mini cooper for some years. After finding what I wanted, in my price range, I purchased a 2007 base hatchback with 49k miles. The car was in super nice shape. Mechanically it ran and drove excellent. It has been an absolute blast to drive. It gets some super fuel economy. I was getting better than the average. 34.5 mpg combined. Then the trouble started. Sun roof stuck open. $1100 to install a used Sunroof just 5 days after I owned the car. Dealer said this is Common? The replacement sunroof had so much wind noise it sounded like a wind tunnel. 2 months later the replacement roof failed I just sealed it to help eliminate the wind noise. Dealer

Favorite Features

Handling, Fuel Economy, Just a extreme blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Don't even offer the Panoramic roof. This option would be a deal breaker for me in the future. Get rid of the smart fob and use a REAL key to start. Make the oil dip stick easier to read.

A Very Bad Investment
By choulli

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007. It was a fun & happy ride for a very short time. Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent approx $5K in repairs (not maintenance) including: new brakes new tires tailpipe recall coolant & water pump recall timing chain oil pump (1st tow) water pump & new seals thermostat (2nd tow) driver's side window mechanism driver's side visor Front suspension is shot & clutch is in need of replacement. Car is under 50K miles & less than 8 yrs old I am trading it in for a Subaru & I will not buy another.

Favorite Features

it's cute & packs a punch on the highway

Suggested Improvements

build a better car

2007 mini cooper S - run now!
By anita28

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used mini cooper S - it had 39000 miles on it and 5 owners before me. I ignored that warning sign because it was so cute and so fun to drive - big mistake. I loved that car and had it for 1 yr before I traded it in - too many problems to list but the last one was a recall. I knew from experience that Mini dealership would say it was something I did so I traded it in. They never covered anything - ever - it was always my fault. I spent over 2,000 bucks on it in a year. I love the car, always will but I can't afford the repairs. For a Mini car it has Major expenses, are you prepared to pay that price? I wasn't - driving a Toyota now and very very happy with it!

Favorite Features

A blast to drive, so adorable and sporty. I'll miss it for that always.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service!!!! Can't say that enough! Why does the Mini dealership not provide better service. Oh I know - because they know their product is faulty and it'll cost them lots of money. They wouldn't even cover things under warranty - said it was something I did even though it was a known problem - thermostat issue for instance.

Six years in, still love it
By adra21

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in the fall of 2007, and still really love it. It handles well, it's fun to drive, it's good-looking, and it does everything I need it to do. It fits into smaller parking spaces (a very nice perk in a city like Los Angeles). Overall great car and I can't recommend it enough. The thing to bear in mind about my feedback: my prior car was a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, so VERY different. And if you're thinking of transitioning from a bigger car to this car, be aware that you'll use your horn a little more, because sometimes people just don't see the car when changing lanes.

Favorite Features

- the giant glass sunroof (option) - ipod/aux input - being able to control the stereo from the steering wheel (that might also be an option) - the digital readout behind the steering wheel that shows exterior temperature and the car's speed - keyless entry - the way it looks: I just think this is the cutest car - it fits way more cargo than you'd expect: you can put the rear seats down and fit a ton in the trunk and the back seat (if you're going to have more than one passenger, then obviously I don't recommend this, but the car does great on a road trip for two to wine country, carrying all the wine and all the luggage)

Suggested Improvements

The only less-than-stellar thing about this car is how much it squeaks. There's just something about the materials used in the interior that's a bit cheaper and I notice that there's a lot of squeaking (like of plastic) as the car shakes from movement on the road. It seems to be worse in the heat.