Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Don't Say You Weren't Warned
By Bryan Parry

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got sucked into the sporty performance and good look and then... I owned a preowned MCS '07 w/ 39k on it for THREE MONTHS before selling. Let me say that again THREE MONTHS. I experienced the following. Random Limp modes and stall outs in the middle of traffic. Timing Chain "death rattle." Carbon build up. Frozen throttle/ unable to start. Multiple engine misfires in cylinders 1 & 2. Inexplicable grinding into third gear (had a brand new clutch btw). Inexplicable problems with power locks including the hatch randomly opening itself. Cabin rattles. This car was clean and maintained right on schedule. I was the third owner. I finally threw in the towel and got a Mazda

Favorite Features

It does have super good handling and acceleration...assuming the little monster actually starts, runs, or doesn't cut out in traffic. The body is very well built and the looks of this car are alluring...but DO NOT BE FOOLED, there are MAJOR KNOWN BUILD DEFECTS. I was so proud of this car and then so devastated by it's complete and total unreliability.

Suggested Improvements

Here is a list of defects and reoccurring issues that destroy what should have been an "ultimate driving machine" that you WILL encounter: Timing Chain (under recall but goes repeatedly, could twist your driveshaft). Clutches (expect a new one every 40K even if you know how to shift like Andretti). All manner of electrical system issues (stuck moon roof, mysterious opening hatches, failed locks, etc.). Pwr Fuel and Water pumps (repeatedly). Turbo heat shield recall. Frozen throttle (condensation freezes in throttle box, wont start, no perm. fix per MINI USA), Carbon Build Up (every 30K, this is due to the direct injection system). IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF DRIVE TRAIN/ ENGINE!

Don't but get the Panoramic roof option
By timmylee1958

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had wanted a mini cooper for some years. After finding what I wanted, in my price range, I purchased a 2007 base hatchback with 49k miles. The car was in super nice shape. Mechanically it ran and drove excellent. It has been an absolute blast to drive. It gets some super fuel economy. I was getting better than the average. 34.5 mpg combined. Then the trouble started. Sun roof stuck open. $1100 to install a used Sunroof just 5 days after I owned the car. Dealer said this is Common? The replacement sunroof had so much wind noise it sounded like a wind tunnel. 2 months later the replacement roof failed I just sealed it to help eliminate the wind noise. Dealer

Favorite Features

Handling, Fuel Economy, Just a extreme blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Don't even offer the Panoramic roof. This option would be a deal breaker for me in the future. Get rid of the smart fob and use a REAL key to start. Make the oil dip stick easier to read.

Lease it dont buy
By vantage01

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

bought this car new i loved it but not the 18 trips (yes 18 i counted )i made to dealership in the first 36 months of ownership for various issues and the six full sets of tires i went through in the first 4.5 years the car hit 80k drank a quart of oil every week drained my pockets for small issues till i sold it to an acquaintance at 101,000 after i did timing chain. new buyer told me engine main seal and turbo went at 114,000 cost him 2500 he sold it after that. i loved the car was so fun to drive but after being so used to the reliability of an Lexus i was so unprepared to own such a problematic car.

Favorite Features

6 speed trans, styling, interior mood light, dual sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Engine reliability

A Very Bad Investment
By choulli

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007. It was a fun & happy ride for a very short time. Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent approx $5K in repairs (not maintenance) including: new brakes new tires tailpipe recall coolant & water pump recall timing chain oil pump (1st tow) water pump & new seals thermostat (2nd tow) driver's side window mechanism driver's side visor Front suspension is shot & clutch is in need of replacement. Car is under 50K miles & less than 8 yrs old I am trading it in for a Subaru & I will not buy another.

Favorite Features

it's cute & packs a punch on the highway

Suggested Improvements

build a better car

2007 mini cooper S - run now!
By anita28

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used mini cooper S - it had 39000 miles on it and 5 owners before me. I ignored that warning sign because it was so cute and so fun to drive - big mistake. I loved that car and had it for 1 yr before I traded it in - too many problems to list but the last one was a recall. I knew from experience that Mini dealership would say it was something I did so I traded it in. They never covered anything - ever - it was always my fault. I spent over 2,000 bucks on it in a year. I love the car, always will but I can't afford the repairs. For a Mini car it has Major expenses, are you prepared to pay that price? I wasn't - driving a Toyota now and very very happy with it!

Favorite Features

A blast to drive, so adorable and sporty. I'll miss it for that always.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service!!!! Can't say that enough! Why does the Mini dealership not provide better service. Oh I know - because they know their product is faulty and it'll cost them lots of money. They wouldn't even cover things under warranty - said it was something I did even though it was a known problem - thermostat issue for instance.