2007 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
2007 mini cooper S - run now!
By anita28 on 01/27/14 13:16 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used mini cooper S - it had 39000 miles on it and 5 owners before me. I ignored that warning sign because it was so cute and so fun to drive - big mistake. I loved that car and had it for 1 yr before I traded it in - too many problems to list but the last one was a recall. I knew from experience that Mini dealership would say it was something I did so I traded it in. They never covered anything - ever - it was always my fault. I spent over 2,000 bucks on it in a year. I love the car, always will but I can't afford the repairs. For a Mini car it has Major expenses, are you prepared to pay that price? I wasn't - driving a Toyota now and very very happy with it!

Six years in, still love it
By adra21 on 10/21/13 15:01 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in the fall of 2007, and still really love it. It handles well, it's fun to drive, it's good-looking, and it does everything I need it to do. It fits into smaller parking spaces (a very nice perk in a city like Los Angeles). Overall great car and I can't recommend it enough. The thing to bear in mind about my feedback: my prior car was a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, so VERY different. And if you're thinking of transitioning from a bigger car to this car, be aware that you'll use your horn a little more, because sometimes people just don't see the car when changing lanes.

I like it... when it works.
By moosamabob on 09/05/13 21:27 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car used with all the bells and whistles of 2007. Except for a reliable engine. While everything looked great on paper, it just doesn't deliver on the reliability front. B/t 70k and 80k miles, it's been in the shop for the timing chain, high pressure fuel pump, exhaust manifold, and the oil filter housing, each of which cost at least $1000. Plus other misc repairs. In all I've dumped $2300 into it since I got it a year ago. Thankfully I bought a warranty, doesn't cover everything though. On top of this, it has a very harsh suspension w/ the 17" rims, it's pretty noisy inside, it consumes way too much oil, everything for it is expensive, and it's entirely a pain to own. Not happy.

Cute but designed to fail
By garyenum on 12/05/12 21:00 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The time chain self destructed at 40k miles and the engine has to be replaced. The technician said that the parts how that there was a problem for a while, judging the wear marks on certain parts. He also said that timing chains only last 30 or 40k miles. Don't buy a Mini. If you own one sell it before the timing chain breaks and screws up the internal parts such that the engine has to be replaced to the tune of $8,000. Dumb design, I was a dummy for buying it.

Do Not Ever Buy a Mini
By rc_rasmussen on 12/05/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

What a fun car to drive!! What a horrible car to own!! I've had nothing but maintenance issues with my mini. It's too bad really, cuz I was such a huge fan for the first 2yrs I owned the car. Since then though, never again. I've had all the same issues with the timing chain and tensioner, up to the climax when I was told I would need a new engine at 86k miles. Cost 8000$. Mini agreed to help pay for 0!! I'm now at 98k and the engine has started to seize. I was extremely dilligent in maintenance. Other issues include airbag sensors breaking, replacing a water pump at 52k - cost : 1400$. The kicker - I just finished paying it off 3 months ago.... Save yourself the 24k$

Lots of Fun for the Enthusiast
By aburg on 02/17/12 11:13 AM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought our S 6spd used in 2010 with 28k on the clock. We chose a Mini S because we wanted something that got decent MPG was fun to drive and was a little different. It has fulfilled all of those things and we are extremely happy with it. We knew that buying a Civic or Corolla would probably be cheaper and more reliable but it would also be a lot more boring. The Mini has been in the shop now and again but we knew it would probably take some up keep going in. We bought our Mini used, it still had some factory warranty on it and we added an extended warranty ($1,800) which has turned out to be useful.

Expensive to Own
By mnw on 02/16/12 12:14 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had a blast driving my S. It is a sports car noisy and stiff ride but you would expect this. We removed the back useless sets and installed Seat deletes.

Fun to drive when not being fixed
By oliveb on 12/22/11 22:15 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2007 MC used with 24,000 miles. It was the perfect first car for me -- small, easy to park, fun to drive. However, around 50,000 miles the car's reliability took a turn. This year it was in for service 7 times, towed twice. Everything from steering wheel locks to o2 sensors has needed to be replaced. It has started to overheat, and make discontenting sounds. Alignment pins have started rattling (not covered in warranty - $700 to fix). After a recent service trip the service light was at 10,000 miles and two weeks later its at 7,000 - no possible way I drove 3k in two weeks. My mom and sister both have brand new minis and love them, so perhaps this is a car not to be bought used.

SERIOUS problems with this car - do NOT buy
By erica_mini on 12/20/11 19:24 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2007 MINI Cooper S brand new, and I couldn't have been more excited to buy what I expected to be a high-performing, Germany car. I couldln't have been more wrong! I am on my SEVENTH major enjine repair in 107K miles. The vacuum pump for the turbo engine has failed TWICE (the first time for $6k), I have had 3 issues with carbon buildup - the most recent ($3500 repair) was all of 11 day after the dealer claimed that the carbon buildup problem had been resolved. In short, I have spent more than $10K repairing the engine problems in this car, and as 3 of these problems have been within 4 months - I have no confidence in this car and can't wait to trade it in for an AMERICAN car!!!!

Sell it before the warranty runs out
By iautox1 on 12/18/11 22:28 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

MINI had and had multiple defects that it will not fix. Bad automatic transmissions. Bad clutches. Bad vacuum pumps that can cause the need for a complete engine review. And the problems I've had: death rattle dieseling. It's a noise the engine makes on start up. You can find countless posts on Mini forums on this issue. The noise is a symtom of the timing chain and tensioner failing. It usually just costs $1,550 to fix, but the change can jump timing or break causing the valves to contact the pistons and the need for a $8,000 engine replacement. My was replaced at 20,000 miles and now again at under 70,000 miles. It began making noise right after it was replaced the first time.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.