Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Buyer Beware
By CTMINICOOPER

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I would not recommend MINI Cooper brand. I reside in CT and the brand is not reliable and the maintenance cost is absurd, unless money is not a concern for you. The cost and reliability will trump the fun after the warranty expires. If you live in CT or state similar to CT (climate and roads), if the vehicle will be your sole / primary car, if you want to own it for more than three years, then I would recommend against a Mini Cooper. Based on friends, colleagues, and me, you should research and listen to others who have lived the experience. Your pockets and frustrations will be felt more than the fun in driving it. Headquarters and dealerships do not take ownership of their brand, even when 200,000 of their vehicles have the same issues. Do the deep research and you will find the consistent issues with this brand.

This car was a nightmare!
By Annoyomos

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the worse car I've ever had! A MINI Cooper Convertible 2007 standard version and I was so excited when I first purchased this car. I felt like a celebrity because kids would run up to it and hug it. I just loved the way the wind felt against my hair as I drove with the top down. We all know this car kills you with cuteness. Don't be blinded by its adorable exterior its super sensitive money eating machine. The first year the dash board was lit up with issues. The first two years I drove a loaner and Mini Cooper employees knew my face very well and I should of moved right in. Anyway this car has steering wheel issues that will cost you thousands of dollars to fix it. An airbag recall that Mini will repair but leave you to any other airbag related issue ( dashboard lighting ) that's probably related to the stupid recall but they want you to pay for it. I had plugin problems with the cooling system what ever that means.. The car would be shut off and it would sound like its still on trying to cool off. One issues that drove me crazy was you cant bring this car to any mechanic because this is a foreign car they have no clue what to do with your car. I've had mechanics break parts on the car doing a simple oil change or changing the brake light( broke trunk light by leaning on it during a repair) so I was a slave to MINI cooper. I couldn't take it anywhere else which is super annoying. MINI isn't trustworthy either though. I went in and asked them to check my engine because the light was one. I specifically asked them to check my fluids. They didn't and later my car over heated and was smoking everywhere. They came and served it but I was a scared mess after the experience. They apologize but constantly repeat the same screw-ups due to lack of communication with the mechanics and service reps. Overall I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone and if you want to spend money on two cars to keep one cute one go ahead.. I drove around anxious all the time worrying about what light will come on next and how many thousands of dollars will cost me when the next light comes on. Not away to live

Love and Loathe
By Kelly

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

If you insist on buying a Mini, then buy a new Mini and the extended warranty. The warranty will pay for itself after the first repair. Be sure that you have support in your area in the form of a dealership or a garage that is known for working on Minis. (It is very difficult to find an independent garage that excels on Mini service and maintenance.) Sell the car before the warranty ends. If you keep it after the warranty expires, be ready to pay $1000 and up for each repair, and there will be numerous repairs, for example, the water pump (replaced 2x), thermostat housing, oil pan seal (replaced 2x), moonroof repairs, rear door latch (replaced 2x), cylinders misfiring, oil leaks, axle seal replacement, etc.) I loved how the Mini Cooper looked and drove. The handling, especially around corners, was amazing. This car was truly enjoyable to drive. For the size of the car, it had a lot more cargo space than expected. I used the Mini for trips to warehouse stores like Sam's Club and Costco. I loathe the car, however, because of the cost to maintain and the frequency that it was in the shop being repaired. This car is not reliable or practical in terms of cost and upkeep. Due to the overall cost to purchase and maintain, I will never buy another Mini again.

Mmmm... I got mixed feelings!
By scooterluv1

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely loved it the 1st year! The 2nd year, not so much ($3000.00 sunroof repair, timing belt issues, $700.00 brake job, $300.00 emission issues, etc.). The 3rd year, it's just okay... I still like the car, but am no longer in-love w/it; I'm actually thinking of trading it for a new age Chevy Camaro. I've owned at least 8 BMW's (& loved all for the most part) and I expected much much more a BMW product.

Quickness, high fun level, interior roominess/features/design, exterior features/design, solidness, performance, great gas mileage, etc.

Need for premium gas, seeming poor product material, expensive of repair & poor service at the BMW dealership.

Don't Say You Weren't Warned
By Bryan Parry

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got sucked into the sporty performance and good look and then... I owned a preowned MCS '07 w/ 39k on it for THREE MONTHS before selling. Let me say that again THREE MONTHS. I experienced the following. Random Limp modes and stall outs in the middle of traffic. Timing Chain "death rattle." Carbon build up. Frozen throttle/ unable to start. Multiple engine misfires in cylinders 1 & 2. Inexplicable grinding into third gear (had a brand new clutch btw). Inexplicable problems with power locks including the hatch randomly opening itself. Cabin rattles. This car was clean and maintained right on schedule. I was the third owner. I finally threw in the towel and got a Mazda

It does have super good handling and acceleration...assuming the little monster actually starts, runs, or doesn't cut out in traffic. The body is very well built and the looks of this car are alluring...but DO NOT BE FOOLED, there are MAJOR KNOWN BUILD DEFECTS. I was so proud of this car and then so devastated by it's complete and total unreliability.

Here is a list of defects and reoccurring issues that destroy what should have been an "ultimate driving machine" that you WILL encounter: Timing Chain (under recall but goes repeatedly, could twist your driveshaft). Clutches (expect a new one every 40K even if you know how to shift like Andretti). All manner of electrical system issues (stuck moon roof, mysterious opening hatches, failed locks, etc.). Pwr Fuel and Water pumps (repeatedly). Turbo heat shield recall. Frozen throttle (condensation freezes in throttle box, wont start, no perm. fix per MINI USA), Carbon Build Up (every 30K, this is due to the direct injection system). IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF DRIVE TRAIN/ ENGINE!

• SUV