2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Almost as fun to drive as my P

2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual)

Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche
By Steve on

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought w/15,000 miles on it. Now has 37,000.6 spd manual. Unusual instrumentation with smaller speedo and tach mounted side by side on steering wheel. Love driving the car. It's almost as fun to drive as a Porsche 911 I had. Supercharged engine has plenty of power. Handling is very good, although ride is more unforgiving than the Porsche due to the run flat tires. If you don't know, minis don't come with a spare tire, thus the run flats. Repairs that I had to deal with include a leak around the thermostat (twice), a leaky hydraulic motor mount, a minor oil leak, and a faulty passenger airbag sensor that required replacing the passenger seat cover ($1200, but covered by warranty).

Favorite Features

Engine power (I have the Cooper Works air intake and exhaust) Looks Driving fun It doesn't take long to wash it!

Suggested Improvements

Water collects in doors after washing or rain, causing windows to get REALLY messed up when you roll them down and up. Build quality, particularly on interior could be better. Taller 6th gear to get RPM below 3000 at 80 mph.