2006 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

Mini Cooper S Couldn't Be Better
By Muschki

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have wanted a Mini Cooper since the day they first came out. I'm glad I waited though because they have only gotten better. I really have fun driving my Mini Maus and the GPS system really rocks!

Favorite Features

GPS, heated seats, auto windshield wipers, and auto headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Add a heated steering wheel!

Sports Car Moves in Retro Style Package
By MiniMan

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the MINI because it looks great. We love the MINI because it is a sportscar in hatchback clothing. This little car begs to be driven. You'll find yourself searching out winding roads to go blasting down. It is a real treat. If you are on the fence about this car, spend some test drive time driving on a twisty 2 lane road and you will be signing your order immediately. After an hour you will feel like you have been driving this car for years. All the moves on the road inspire confidence. It has plenty of room up front for someone 6'4", however there will be no backseat room behind someone of this height.

Favorite Features

The styling inside and out, an engine that loves to rev, a suspension that keeps the car stuck to the road like superglue, free maintenance for three years, and the smile I can't get off my face.

The Most Fun You Can Have in a Car
By J. Cooper

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The MINI Cooper S is as fun as driving gets. According to every woman the see it it's "adorable" I've not yet been impressed with the fuel economy but it's still new and still can't get used to the center console gauges, but it's a small price to pay for this much fun.

Favorite Features

All the features are great but I like the size and power of this car. It was between the Mini S and the Scion tC and the tC is so heavy the handeling suffered and although it's about as powerful as the Mini S it felt less powerful than the standard Mini.

Suggested Improvements

A little higher gearing, I'm almost at 3,000 rpm in sixth when I hit 65 mph.

better than my corvette
By Mr. B

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had the competition and this is the best. I had a porche 914, a mazda miata and a corvette. The mini blows them away. Everyone said i was crazy foe selling my 2002 corvette for a mini cooper but it was a good choice. The mini is not tempermental and can be driven as a daily driver instaed of just a sunday driver like my other "Toy" cars have been. I can't stop revving and driving it hard. I am a big guy (300lbs) and fit very comfortably in it. It also has goos storage whwn the rear seats are folded down. Mine is pepper white with a black top and black stripes. I also upgraded the wheels to 17's. I also got the automatic transmission which I highly recommend. Its exactly like a stick!

Favorite Features

Definately recommend the automatic transmission. I had a six speed in my corvette and got real tired of shifting all the time. Six speeds are cool but require just that much more shifting. The automatic performs exactly like a manuel. You can hear and feel it downshift on declines etc.

Suggested Improvements

There is literally no legroom in the back seat. I drive it with the seat forward a little and it leaves about2" of legroom. It really should have been a two seater but I must admit, I like putting my son,s baby seat in the back so I can take him with me. The 17" wheel make a rough ride but its cool!

WOW!
By cphoebus

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just got my MINI Cooper S and I love it! Everyone wants to drive it and tells me how cool it is. I didn't like the looks of them at first but they grew on me. I am super happy with my new purchase! If you can afford it, definitely get the S model.

Favorite Features

I love that there are so many options. My heated seats rock!

Suggested Improvements

Either make the backseat bigger or get rid of it all together.

My third Mini
By fabworks

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have purchased three MINIs since 2002 and also own a Porsche 911 Cabriolet. The only reason my Porsche gets driven is to get washed and on a once a month drive down the coast. I love driving my Minis for everyday use.

Favorite Features

I can park anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

The car's interior and dealership service seems to be lacking.

Cooper S the thrill is back
By RM Joy

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have been driving my MINI Cooper S for about 6 months, and it still a blast. The S comes stock with a 168 hp engine, which is plenty of fun, but I did an aftermarket upgrade ($280.00) to bring it up to about 190 hp. I am a lover of small cars, and these cars handle marvelously on the highway or on Oregon's twisty country rodes. Above all, this little car has "character".

Suggested Improvements

For marketing reasons the standard hp was set at 168, but it is very easy to upgrade the supercharger pulley to get about 190 hp, which shifts the torque curve and gives instant-response at lower rpms.

Excellent car
By Blitz

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the best small car you can find. It's like buying a small BMW 3-Series because the interior has lots of BMW parts. It is very fun to drive, and a very unique car. 2006 is the last year for this generation so the build quality is perfect. I look forward to driving in my Mini every morning.

Favorite Features

Very customizable. Scion advertise their cars can be customized with lots of aftermarket parts. I think the Mini has just as many choices and JCW aftermarket parts.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully there's an even smaller Mini 2 seater coming soon.

I Love My Car
By MJM

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mini Cooper for only a week however I love this car and just about everyone that sees its ask me questions about it.

Favorite Features

The looks and the way its drives. Tthe gas milage is great.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a larger clock display for its a bit hard to read. Also I would suggest if anyone is looking to buy a Mini if you can afford the extra money get the S Model.