Used 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Most Helpful|
'06 Hyper Blue Cooper!
By BK

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car screams! I always look forward to driving it, whether on an 800 mile round trip to the mountains, or a 2 mile trip to the store. Acceleration is super, as is braking. Cornering is something to look forward to, as there is no detectable lean, even when pushing what I would call normal "around town" driving. I have never had trouble merging onto the freeway, making that last-minute 3-lane lane change if I have to, or parking. My biggest worry is if someone dings one of the doors. I have the GPS system, which is not only hugely useful, but great fun. It gets twice the mileage of my V-8 SUV, which I keep because it's paid off, and sometimes I need to haul wood or dirt - not for a Mini!

Favorite Features

6-speed tranny, GPS, halogens, winter package, huge (I mean huge) sunroof + second moonroof, stereo controls on steering wheel, mpg computer

Suggested Improvements

"all season" tires are not great in snow/ice - if I drove this car a lot in the snow, I'd get dedicated studded snows, but deep snow is one reason I kept the SUV

New owner
By skip2211

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2006S in October 2010. i get about 27 mpg city and 30-34 mpg highway. Sunroof will bake the driver as there is no shade ! I am having it limo tinted. Performance is great but ride is VERY stiff. Potholes feel like craters. Great handling and fun to drive. Oil change at Mini dealer is over $100.. Had to buy a bra for it as the front attracts all rocks. I am 65 and feel like a kid again! Holds resale value well but Mini dealers are few and far away and costly. Get rid of the run flat tires but then you have no spare ! It turns heads wherever I go and is bright red.

Favorite Features

Performance , fun to drive and fuel economy. Seating is very comfortable and accommodates tall drivers easily.

Suggested Improvements

Sun Shade needed for sunroof. Spare tire needed.

The greatest thing since sliced bread!
By UKDragon

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

What's not to like? The best exterior and interior designed car ever, great fuel economy, you can park it anywhere, still has a great kick in performance, it takes turns like nothing else! Ridiculously fun to drive, and you get to be part of the MINI community- don't forget to wave to other passing MINI owners on the road! One of the best things about this car is that you get to customize it's appearance however you wish. Go explore their website and virtually design your own MINI! I have had no technical issues with mine, and it's been 2 years. Plus it has a great warranty and the service is BMW quality. Nothing bad to say about it!

Favorite Features

Custom design options: put a decal on the roof, bonnet strips on the bonnet, lots of great color options, etc., ipod friendly, and easy to add mods (mods aren't costly either!)

Suggested Improvements

Stop trying to improve on perfection BMW MINI! That's how the 2007 MINI and then the Clubman happened.

The all mighty MINI
By E-money

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a lot of fun but it comes with a lot of quirks too. The overall design (in and out) is smooth and pleasing to look at. We have the Racing Pulley accesory which adds horsepower and creates an intoxicating turbo sound when u punch the gas. The only real complaints I have with this car is the fact that with the run flat tires it rides severely stiff. The second is the reliability, from one day to the next the car will act strange (engine sounds, random jumps in electric). But never the less if you are looking to buy one I would highly reccomend it!

Favorite Features

Looks,Engine(with Racing Pulley), Bumpin' Sound System, Turns Heads :)

Suggested Improvements

Ride stiffness, UNRELIABLE, A little more Torque/HP

Fun to Drive! when not being repaired.
By Hillary

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After 2 months of having it, I had the EML light go on and the car went into fail safe mode (9 mph). It did this on the 405 freeway, not very safe and very scary! I had the extended warranty and MINI roadside assistance came to pick it up. Apparantly it was the throttle body. 4 months later the same issue. This time it was the computer. 6 months later the same thing, this time they said it was just a fluke, everythings fine. Again 2 more times in the past 5 months. The MINI dealership is 35 miles away from my home, so this started to become a huge inconvenience especially with no rental car.

Favorite Features

The tight steering and unique look.

Suggested Improvements

The moon roof is loud when open and driving faster than 15mph. Quality of the car is not so good. Live close to a MINI dealer if you own a MINI!