Used 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Driving While Smiling
By Jim W.

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've been driving my MINI S 6-speed since August, and always buckle up smiling... something I can't say about my previous car - the '03 Jetta 5-speed from VW (a great car itself). This car has very sporty handling, great styling inside and out, and an engine which I would rather listen to than any radio or music! I love the bright red and chrome accents inside. You just never forget that you are driving a special car. I don't race about, but any time a curve comes along I can't help but raise the revs and enjoy the thrill of this car's cornering. The fit and reliability so far have been excellent - some features like the toggles may seem quirky but that's the British touch!

Favorite Features

The body contours, distinctive dash and speedo, night lighting, engine performance, handling, and fold-down rear seats. Look at the unique headlight design - in the bonnet - for something no other car has, as well as that functioning bonnet scoop!

Suggested Improvements

Tweak out some better gas mileage (done in '07) and skip the run flat tires.

So far, so good
By fedssocr

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MINI Cooper in March 2006. I placed the order in January but had to wait a couple of months to get my car. I don't drive very much so I only have about 3,500 miles on it so far. At first, the gas mileage seemed low, but now that everything is broken in it's great. I average over 40 mpg on the highway and about 30 or so combined city/hwy. I am also fairly small so I am quite comfortable. The handling is great. Even though it's "only" a base Cooper I still have plenty of passing power and zip when I need it. It's really a great little car. This car is easy to drive, easy to park.

Favorite Features

The HK sound system sounds great, It has great handling and a small size.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the digital speedo to work with the cockpit chrono pack, but this is a moot point with the new model.

Great Little Car!
By DH

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Mini base model in mid October '06 (red body and white roof) and it's been so much fun to drive! It has great handling and solid steering, true to its BMW heritage and it really drives like a BMW! Though only 115 hps, it does not feel under-powered if you know how to work a stick shift. It is wonderful that the base Mini comes with Leatherette and not fabric since fabric covers eventually get all icky and can't be wiped down.

Favorite Features

Everything and with the aux input jack, you can listen to your iPod.

Suggested Improvements

The rear directional lights should not be blinking red - this is inherently less safe than blinking yellow or white - since BMW's have blinking yellow or white. This is one little feature, in additional to gazillion others, that separates the premier German cars from the also-run American cars!

My Mini
By safetydriven

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love my Mini. We use her in a driving school and the students love driving her. In a Mini, height is not a problem, if the student is short the seat can easily be raised and if they are tall there is plenty of leg room. Students learn from the very beginning how easy it is to move the steering wheel just a little and the direction changes quickly.

Favorite Features

The car has great handling. I love the sunroof. When driving by myself, I open the sunroof and windows, turn up the music, and enjoy the day.

Suggested Improvements

When changing gears (automatic trans.) there is a hesitation after the car is put in gear. That could be changed, but for the most part I would not change a thing.

Great car
By jean

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my MINI. It's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage in town and on the highway, and fits into tight places.