Used 2006 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My MINI Soulmate - A Total Joy !
By AliMia/MINI-Neemo

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I never thought that it was possible to love a car so much!! I Truly feel as as if it were my kindred spirit! I custom built this MINI Cooper-S Convertible on the MINI USA Website at least seven months before I bought it. I test drove four other convertibles, but they just didn't capture the spirit of who I am. Even though my test drive MINI wasn't a convertible, I loved the tight response the steering wheel delivered and was totally surprised by the room inside. Yes, it's actually very spacious and accomodates all kinds of "personal junk" inside and out of sight from curious lookers. If you're a kid at heart - this is the car for you. It's a go-kart with soul. Plus it has super safety features and great power! It is exclusive and unique!

Favorite Features

The Car is Perfect! And with three years of service included what else can you ask for? My favorite features?! I like getting surprise gift boxes in the mail from MINI-USA. I've also been included in a very unique family! By simply ordering my new MINI, their site offers tips on caring for your new car and a message board on events offered Nationwide and by local clubs. I love putting the top down and feeling free!

Suggested Improvements

Getting the key to lower the top without pressing it so much as I approach the car - like the salespeople did in the showroom. Better training from them on how the unique features work.

Love, Love, Love my MINI
By flying high girl

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is truly a fun car to drive. It is so small, but with the S motor it's got killer pickup. I love the sound of the engine. It's a quiet ride, with the seats folded down, you can get some storage. Be prepared to get stopped a lot, people love asking questions about it. I hit a deer late at night and it only did minimal damage. I was stunned. The only downfall is since it's so low and small, I have to wash it a lot. Beware of truckers, rocks hit me a lot on highway. Its pickup is wonderful. I love the one button everything goes down with the top feature. The heated leather seats are great. It has lots of leg room upfront. When going on trips that require lots of luggage, you have to think MINI. My pug Matilda and I love it!

Favorite Features

With the S model, the pick up is incredible. The roomy front is large. I like the tachometer, fold down back seats, very clean lines, and minimal goofy stuff. Everything is compact, yet big.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the small cup holders. I can't hold but a Coke in them. Also, add more enclosed pockets or storage compartments that are hidden.

Fun to Drive
By david a walsh

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The 2006 Mini Cooper S is the most fun I've had in 50 years! It's like a go kart on steroids, that turns heads. With the top down everyone feels free to talk to you. Most say "looks cute and fun to drive." I agree! This is a well built vehicle. It feels solid and tight. I have been getting 18 to 28 mpg in city driving depending upon how heavy my foot is. If I'm careful, I think that I could average around 25 mpg city. This car has a very stiff suspension hard on bumps, but it is great in turns. I love my mini

Favorite Features

I like how this car has lots of power with the super charger. I also like the power convertable top,

Suggested Improvements

The glove box needs to be changed. Everything falls out when opening. I bought an orgnaizer which helped. Also, the door pocketes are hard to use.

Take It for a Long Test Drive
By Orlando

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had a Mini S Convertibe for four months and got rid of it. The car is nice to look at it but my sincere opinion is that is more of marketing hype that truly a good purchase. Various sites rate the Mini as having great resale value, but I found the hard way that not to be true. If you are really considering one take it for a really long test drive and please do not buy it with leatherete which is very hot and unconfortable. Also, I would recommend an automatic with paddle shifters, because of the weak engine you shift all the time in order to find the right gear. The Sport package is a great value and the convertible top with two functions is great. Finally for the money ($31,000) there better buys out there!

Favorite Features

The convertible top and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better engine, better seats, shorter shifting, less expensive options and better service at the dealer.

Cooper S Report Card
By T.C.

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven...BUT it rides like my Grandfather's 1958 pickup, there's no give and you feel every bump in the road which causes bent/broken struts and or the brackets. It has seating for four with the LATCH system but it's really a 2 seater. When a carseat is installed there's no room for it to be occupied unless the person in the front seat is 4 feet tall with their seat all the way forward. Being small doesn't mean saving money at the pump due to using premium gas. The limited number of dealerships creates problems for the consumer both buying/selling and getting repairs/maintanence done. When there's only one dealership in the state it's very detramental for everyone.

Favorite Features

The convertibles are great because of the ability to open and close the top to sunroof status at speeds up to 75 MPH. The S model has a lot of get up and go. It has a roomy boot (trunk) as the top doesn't take away any room for storage. The back seats fold down to make more room for carrying packages.

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning vents need to have more options for directional flow or need to be relocated. The convertible model has too many blind spots with the top up, so much so that it's bordering on being unsafe to drive. I would suggest that the rear head rests be lowered to open up visabiltiy for the driver.