2006 MINI Cooper Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

Annoyances Trump Fun
By goldsbar

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned several fun cars in my life and this one just doesn't measure up. The annoyances really got to me after a while. Not a lot of engine for the price. Run flats had horrible grip off the line. Tires chirped at the slightest provocation. Horrible gas mileage - low 20's - for the size of the car and power. Engine was annoying and very economy car like. Didn't give that "I want to go faster" feeling. Huge blindspot with the top up. Yes, it was fun to drive even at slow speeds which is important. Handling is very good but not great by any means. Better cars for the money out there!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive at sane speeds, tight and sporty feeling suspension

Suggested Improvements

Tires, gas mileage, blindspot with convertible, price

After a Year and a Half
By Robert

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car and I'm glad that I bought it. I purchased the S model and added the moonroof, fog lamps and DSC. The moonroof is outstanding, I like the DSC but if I didn't have the fog lamps, I wouldn't notice. I haven't had any problems, but after 20,000 miles there are a few rattles and squeaks (particularly in the brakes on a cold day - the dealer told me that that was because of the brake pad composition). Its gas mileage is good, even with having to buy premium gas (I just filled it today and spent $32 in NJ). All in all, this car is still a blast to drive and I always get a question or two at the car wash about it. I'm happy with my '06 Mini Cooper S!

Favorite Features

The moonroof and the tach in the center.

GP - From 0019 in the US
By AprilWhine

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is my fourth MINI, not bad on a car only that has only been available in the US since 2002! I've loved them all, but the GP is really something special. From the sound of the supercharger winding up to the road hugging dynamics, it's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

The JCW tuned engine.

Suggested Improvements

The OEM Navigation in the 2007 model needs improvement.

Great Fun in a Mini
By harddo in florida

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car. I am a big guy and fit well in it. The seat is a bit soft. The car is a hoot in traffic! I love driving my Mini Cooper JCW convertible. The top is always down!

Favorite Features

The JCW kit and the convertible top. The front fascia is a pleasure to stare at. The sound of the exhaust is exciting. All around, the entire experience is fun

Suggested Improvements

The driver's seat needs to be more supportive.

Fun to Drive
By Stuart

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini Cooper is roomier than most people think, so if you are considering one, sit in it. If you like to drive, this car is a blast. I thought that getting the automatic would reduce the fun, but it was for my wife and what she wanted. Living in the congested Portland, OR metro area, I have to say that it is the right choice. I do use the manual mode at times and can either maximize my fuel economy or power by shifting myself. We got the sport package with the 17" wheels. The ride is a little rough, but we don't mind and the handling is great. Its fuel economy in mostly city driving has been around 19-21 MPG. The door locks stopped working on the first day, but after the switch panel was replaced we haven't had any issues.

Favorite Features

This car is fun to drive, handles great, the S model has sufficient power, and I love the manual shift mode on the auto transmission. It is roomier than I expected.

Suggested Improvements

Add electric seats with memory (my wife is 5'2" and I am 6'), better lumbar support, and better cup holders. I would be nice to have even better gas mileage (the new model does).

Awesome Car!
By ohblackwater

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The MINI Cooper is an awesome car. I have driven 8,500 miles in mine and I have averaged 32.2 mpg with mostly in town driving. The power is good especially between 50 and 80 mph (I know that surprised me as well). The fit and finish are perfect. I'm very picky and I've owned this car for 6 months. I have yet to find a SINGLE defect in the car. I got the Premium and Sport packages. I will absolutely buy another MINI product. They're phenomenal quality and "Oh My GOD" fun to drive! This car is a go cart!

Favorite Features

I love the handling! It's excellent! I also love the fuel economy. Even with my spirited/heavy-footed driving, I'm still averaging 32.2 mpg. The on-board computer is excellent as well!

Suggested Improvements

I can't imagine any improvements other than giving the car 300 hp and the same fuel economy for the same price. Ha!

Great Car for the Money
By Kevin

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've driven my MINI 3,200 miles so far. Although there are some bad reviews about the reliability of Minis, I haven't experienced any problems with mine. I drove many cars including Porsche and Lotus before Mini, and I have to say Mini tops the chart in most fun to drive category. My appreciation for the car's design in and out grows every time I look at it. Finally, its resale value is amazing. I don't think there are people who buy a cars and sell them for higher prices than Mini owners, true story.

Favorite Features

The super charger, RDS, awesome suspension, and great steering feel,

Suggested Improvements

Add automatic window controls. The rear glass roof should slide,

Driving While Smiling
By Jim W.

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've been driving my MINI S 6-speed since August, and always buckle up smiling... something I can't say about my previous car - the '03 Jetta 5-speed from VW (a great car itself). This car has very sporty handling, great styling inside and out, and an engine which I would rather listen to than any radio or music! I love the bright red and chrome accents inside. You just never forget that you are driving a special car. I don't race about, but any time a curve comes along I can't help but raise the revs and enjoy the thrill of this car's cornering. The fit and reliability so far have been excellent - some features like the toggles may seem quirky but that's the British touch!

Favorite Features

The body contours, distinctive dash and speedo, night lighting, engine performance, handling, and fold-down rear seats. Look at the unique headlight design - in the bonnet - for something no other car has, as well as that functioning bonnet scoop!

Suggested Improvements

Tweak out some better gas mileage (done in '07) and skip the run flat tires.

How Fun is This?
By GuitarBabe

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! Having always owned a 4-cyl. car, I feel it has plenty of power. It's fun to drive. It gets good gas millage. This car is just right for one or two people.

Favorite Features

I love the moonroof, power windows, locks and mirrors. The sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

The interior knobs could be of higher quality.

So far, so good
By fedssocr

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MINI Cooper in March 2006. I placed the order in January but had to wait a couple of months to get my car. I don't drive very much so I only have about 3,500 miles on it so far. At first, the gas mileage seemed low, but now that everything is broken in it's great. I average over 40 mpg on the highway and about 30 or so combined city/hwy. I am also fairly small so I am quite comfortable. The handling is great. Even though it's "only" a base Cooper I still have plenty of passing power and zip when I need it. It's really a great little car. This car is easy to drive, easy to park.

Favorite Features

The HK sound system sounds great, It has great handling and a small size.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the digital speedo to work with the cockpit chrono pack, but this is a moot point with the new model.