2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Annoyances Trump Fun
By goldsbar on 04/26/07 06:29 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned several fun cars in my life and this one just doesn't measure up. The annoyances really got to me after a while. Not a lot of engine for the price. Run flats had horrible grip off the line. Tires chirped at the slightest provocation. Horrible gas mileage - low 20's - for the size of the car and power. Engine was annoying and very economy car like. Didn't give that "I want to go faster" feeling. Huge blindspot with the top up. Yes, it was fun to drive even at slow speeds which is important. Handling is very good but not great by any means. Better cars for the money out there!

After a Year and a Half
By Robert on 03/10/07 07:01 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car and I'm glad that I bought it. I purchased the S model and added the moonroof, fog lamps and DSC. The moonroof is outstanding, I like the DSC but if I didn't have the fog lamps, I wouldn't notice. I haven't had any problems, but after 20,000 miles there are a few rattles and squeaks (particularly in the brakes on a cold day - the dealer told me that that was because of the brake pad composition). Its gas mileage is good, even with having to buy premium gas (I just filled it today and spent $32 in NJ). All in all, this car is still a blast to drive and I always get a question or two at the car wash about it. I'm happy with my '06 Mini Cooper S!

GP - From 0019 in the US
By AprilWhine on 02/26/07 05:17 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is my fourth MINI, not bad on a car only that has only been available in the US since 2002! I've loved them all, but the GP is really something special. From the sound of the supercharger winding up to the road hugging dynamics, it's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned.

Great Fun in a Mini
By harddo in florida on 02/09/07 21:06 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car. I am a big guy and fit well in it. The seat is a bit soft. The car is a hoot in traffic! I love driving my Mini Cooper JCW convertible. The top is always down!

Fun to Drive
By Stuart on 02/03/07 10:40 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini Cooper is roomier than most people think, so if you are considering one, sit in it. If you like to drive, this car is a blast. I thought that getting the automatic would reduce the fun, but it was for my wife and what she wanted. Living in the congested Portland, OR metro area, I have to say that it is the right choice. I do use the manual mode at times and can either maximize my fuel economy or power by shifting myself. We got the sport package with the 17" wheels. The ride is a little rough, but we don't mind and the handling is great. Its fuel economy in mostly city driving has been around 19-21 MPG. The door locks stopped working on the first day, but after the switch panel was replaced we haven't had any issues.

Awesome Car!
By ohblackwater on 01/28/07 14:42 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The MINI Cooper is an awesome car. I have driven 8,500 miles in mine and I have averaged 32.2 mpg with mostly in town driving. The power is good especially between 50 and 80 mph (I know that surprised me as well). The fit and finish are perfect. I'm very picky and I've owned this car for 6 months. I have yet to find a SINGLE defect in the car. I got the Premium and Sport packages. I will absolutely buy another MINI product. They're phenomenal quality and "Oh My GOD" fun to drive! This car is a go cart!

Great Car for the Money
By Kevin on 01/14/07 00:42 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've driven my MINI 3,200 miles so far. Although there are some bad reviews about the reliability of Minis, I haven't experienced any problems with mine. I drove many cars including Porsche and Lotus before Mini, and I have to say Mini tops the chart in most fun to drive category. My appreciation for the car's design in and out grows every time I look at it. Finally, its resale value is amazing. I don't think there are people who buy a cars and sell them for higher prices than Mini owners, true story.

Driving While Smiling
By Jim W. on 01/02/07 22:00 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've been driving my MINI S 6-speed since August, and always buckle up smiling... something I can't say about my previous car - the '03 Jetta 5-speed from VW (a great car itself). This car has very sporty handling, great styling inside and out, and an engine which I would rather listen to than any radio or music! I love the bright red and chrome accents inside. You just never forget that you are driving a special car. I don't race about, but any time a curve comes along I can't help but raise the revs and enjoy the thrill of this car's cornering. The fit and reliability so far have been excellent - some features like the toggles may seem quirky but that's the British touch!

How Fun is This?
By GuitarBabe on 12/12/06 05:54 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! Having always owned a 4-cyl. car, I feel it has plenty of power. It's fun to drive. It gets good gas millage. This car is just right for one or two people.

So far, so good
By fedssocr on 12/01/06 11:55 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MINI Cooper in March 2006. I placed the order in January but had to wait a couple of months to get my car. I don't drive very much so I only have about 3,500 miles on it so far. At first, the gas mileage seemed low, but now that everything is broken in it's great. I average over 40 mpg on the highway and about 30 or so combined city/hwy. I am also fairly small so I am quite comfortable. The handling is great. Even though it's "only" a base Cooper I still have plenty of passing power and zip when I need it. It's really a great little car. This car is easy to drive, easy to park.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.