Used 2006 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Fun looking but poor quality
By katefromca

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Mini for 2.5 years; in that time, had an oil leak, brake problems, steering wheel problems, and a dead battery. Good thing it comes with warranty and full maintenance! It is a fun car to drive and people still gawk when seeing a Mini convertible. But, it is an extremely unreliable car and after awhile that does eat into the fun, even with free repairs and maintenance. Finally, traded it in for a not-so-fun but reliable and safe Subaru. If you are considering this car, make sure your Mini dealership is close to where you live, you'll be visiting it often!

Look; styling; fun to drive

Controls in odd places, low visibility in convertible, unreliable for a new (and expensive) car

My Coop
By sandymonet

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the greatest little big car ever! I have no problems with pick up and I can out start my husband in his Corvette! It is beautiful in detailing and comfortable in seating. All controls are right at my finger tips so I do not have to grope around in the dark for anything. The on dash cup holder stinks, but that is minor in comparison to all the fun I have driving (zooming) around town. Glad I bought it especially now with gas prices so high. My gas lasts me about a week and then some. I can hook my ipod up and just go. Just love the way it handles the corners nice and tight at high speeds. The one touch button for top down is an added bonus. You should get one! Be glad you did.

Convertible one touch button ipod hook up speed, quickness, techtronic run flat tires, pressure monitoring style, colors, seating, cockpit, handling, gas mileage, Harmon Kardon stereo

Dash board cup holder

Zippy but chilly
By Sutton86

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Cute, fun car to drive. You'll get lots of compliments! Good power and cornering. Great gas mileage. Visibility is poor when top is up; average when top is down. Roll bars stick up and ruin the line of the car. The Miata is superior for design and visibility. In fact, I miss my old Miata but needed more space.

Cool speedometer. Like knowing the outside temperature. You must get heated seats!

I live in a place where it doesn't get really hot so the heater is completely inadequate when the top is down and the temp drops below 70. Bring a coat and hat.

Annoyances Trump Fun
By goldsbar

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned several fun cars in my life and this one just doesn't measure up. The annoyances really got to me after a while. Not a lot of engine for the price. Run flats had horrible grip off the line. Tires chirped at the slightest provocation. Horrible gas mileage - low 20's - for the size of the car and power. Engine was annoying and very economy car like. Didn't give that "I want to go faster" feeling. Huge blindspot with the top up. Yes, it was fun to drive even at slow speeds which is important. Handling is very good but not great by any means. Better cars for the money out there!

Fun to drive at sane speeds, tight and sporty feeling suspension

Tires, gas mileage, blindspot with convertible, price

Great Fun in a Mini
By harddo in florida

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car. I am a big guy and fit well in it. The seat is a bit soft. The car is a hoot in traffic! I love driving my Mini Cooper JCW convertible. The top is always down!

The JCW kit and the convertible top. The front fascia is a pleasure to stare at. The sound of the exhaust is exciting. All around, the entire experience is fun

The driver's seat needs to be more supportive.