2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Fun Commuter
By Fun Commute on 01/01/09 09:29 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After much research I purchased a used one with 35k miles for local commutes.It's a go cart on steriods. Whole family loves it. It handles as well as anything I've ever driven in the twisty hills we have here and I've driven about every sports car out there. However, at speed on interstate( say 80-90 mph) it gets squirrely. Primarily as a result of torque steer, tight steering and fact it's a square box.I've put 7k on it and have had no maintenance issues except radio. Top is wonderful and surprisingly quiet but you're blind in rear quarterpanels when it's up. Mileage has been so so (24 cty-26 hwy) but pedal has been to floor since I've had it.I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Loved it since I bought it.
By Dave Finski on 10/27/08 14:03 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved my 2006 Mini convertible since I bought it brand new. My wife asked me what I'd get on my next one that I didn't get on the one I bought. My answer, "nothing". There isn't anything I feel I should have opted for. Nothing I opted for that I should have done without. Opted for the basic engine. Saved money and don't need the extra horsepower, extra complexity of the turbo now mileage loss from being assertive with the gas pedal. Got the chrome exterior do-dads to cheer it up, leather bolstered seats, AC, manual transmission, more chrome do-dads inside and heated seats. Must get the heated seats. Awesome when the air gets a bit chilly. Now my wife wants her own!

My Ford was more reliable.
By bstndance on 08/24/08 18:05 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Mini and had a great two year relationship with the car. Suddenly, after the two year mark its all downhill. It started with the fan always running even when the car was off. That turned into a water pump problem. Then the check engine light comes on randomly. The interior falls apart easily. The mini emblem on the steering wheel popped off when I pressed the horn. The windows and sunroof sometimes open when I unlock the car using the electronic fob. Now, the battery suddenly up and died in the middle of the day. I ran into a store for 15 mintues, came out and it was dead. Got jumped but the car died again the next day. Can't wait for my lease to finish!

The greatest thing since sliced bread!
By UKDragon on 06/09/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

What's not to like? The best exterior and interior designed car ever, great fuel economy, you can park it anywhere, still has a great kick in performance, it takes turns like nothing else! Ridiculously fun to drive, and you get to be part of the MINI community- don't forget to wave to other passing MINI owners on the road! One of the best things about this car is that you get to customize it's appearance however you wish. Go explore their website and virtually design your own MINI! I have had no technical issues with mine, and it's been 2 years. Plus it has a great warranty and the service is BMW quality. Nothing bad to say about it!

Fun looking but poor quality
By katefromca on 05/19/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Mini for 2.5 years; in that time, had an oil leak, brake problems, steering wheel problems, and a dead battery. Good thing it comes with warranty and full maintenance! It is a fun car to drive and people still gawk when seeing a Mini convertible. But, it is an extremely unreliable car and after awhile that does eat into the fun, even with free repairs and maintenance. Finally, traded it in for a not-so-fun but reliable and safe Subaru. If you are considering this car, make sure your Mini dealership is close to where you live, you'll be visiting it often!

My Coop
By sandymonet on 05/10/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the greatest little big car ever! I have no problems with pick up and I can out start my husband in his Corvette! It is beautiful in detailing and comfortable in seating. All controls are right at my finger tips so I do not have to grope around in the dark for anything. The on dash cup holder stinks, but that is minor in comparison to all the fun I have driving (zooming) around town. Glad I bought it especially now with gas prices so high. My gas lasts me about a week and then some. I can hook my ipod up and just go. Just love the way it handles the corners nice and tight at high speeds. The one touch button for top down is an added bonus. You should get one! Be glad you did.

Zippy but chilly
By Sutton86 on 05/02/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Cute, fun car to drive. You'll get lots of compliments! Good power and cornering. Great gas mileage. Visibility is poor when top is up; average when top is down. Roll bars stick up and ruin the line of the car. The Miata is superior for design and visibility. In fact, I miss my old Miata but needed more space.

'06 Hyper Blue Cooper!
By BK on 11/15/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car screams! I always look forward to driving it, whether on an 800 mile round trip to the mountains, or a 2 mile trip to the store. Acceleration is super, as is braking. Cornering is something to look forward to, as there is no detectable lean, even when pushing what I would call normal "around town" driving. I have never had trouble merging onto the freeway, making that last-minute 3-lane lane change if I have to, or parking. My biggest worry is if someone dings one of the doors. I have the GPS system, which is not only hugely useful, but great fun. It gets twice the mileage of my V-8 SUV, which I keep because it's paid off, and sometimes I need to haul wood or dirt - not for a Mini!

Good things come in small packages
By 2MANYCARS on 11/13/07 18:54 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

A pocket hot rod, Goliath killer. I have all the high perf. options and love the overall package performance. A couple of laps at Sebring surprised my brother who races a Porsche there. Stable, fast, excellent brakes, peppy engine. If you want thrifty car, buy a VW diesel. This is about fun and "low self esteem ", they will look at you for sure. Bought HK Sound and Chrono Package. Love them. Chili Red with Silver top different look altogether from Red/White. Would buy again.

My Favorite Car to Date!
By Mom loves Mini on 08/29/07 11:29 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Mini is excellent in the snow. Forget the 4-wheel big SUV, this little car handles the snow better than any other car I owned. In the summer, the Mini begs to be driven on the open road. Also, I have yet to find a parking spot that I can't fit into. I went to New York in the winter. At first the parking garage said there was no room, but when they saw my Mini, they found room for that car! I have yet to use my husbands truck to go grocery shopping. My Mini holds it all and then some!! I have yet to have a bad experience with my car. Just seeing my car makes me smile and I say "Mini, mini, mini!!"

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.