Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

MINI, Test drive one to understand...
By 14characters

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first MINI & I would buy another, given the chance. Fun to Drive, always. Reliable?
After logging 73,000 miles without incident, I can say yes. Great service from the dealer from new.
As Small as it seems, I can easily carry 8' pieces of lumber inside if needed. Plenty 'o' leg room in the front. Fine for my young one in the back. Glued to the road. I slid on some gravel on a back country road moving at a good pace, yep! handles like a go-cart, I felt safe.

Sport Package, handling, speedy at 4000 rpm & up, heated seats, Dealer service. (Flow MINI, NC)

Cup holders in front were better in later years.

New owner
By skip2211

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2006S in October 2010. i get about 27 mpg city and 30-34 mpg highway. Sunroof will bake the driver as there is no shade ! I am having it limo tinted. Performance is great but ride is VERY stiff. Potholes feel like craters. Great handling and fun to drive. Oil change at Mini dealer is over $100.. Had to buy a bra for it as the front attracts all rocks. I am 65 and feel like a kid again! Holds resale value well but Mini dealers are few and far away and costly. Get rid of the run flat tires but then you have no spare ! It turns heads wherever I go and is bright red.

Performance , fun to drive and fuel economy. Seating is very comfortable and accommodates tall drivers easily.

Sun Shade needed for sunroof. Spare tire needed.

Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche
By Steve

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought w/15,000 miles on it. Now has 37,000.6 spd manual. Unusual instrumentation with smaller speedo and tach mounted side by side on steering wheel. Love driving the car. It's almost as fun to drive as a Porsche 911 I had. Supercharged engine has plenty of power. Handling is very good, although ride is more unforgiving than the Porsche due to the run flat tires. If you don't know, minis don't come with a spare tire, thus the run flats. Repairs that I had to deal with include a leak around the thermostat (twice), a leaky hydraulic motor mount, a minor oil leak, and a faulty passenger airbag sensor that required replacing the passenger seat cover ($1200, but covered by warranty).

Engine power (I have the Cooper Works air intake and exhaust) Looks Driving fun It doesn't take long to wash it!

Water collects in doors after washing or rain, causing windows to get REALLY messed up when you roll them down and up. Build quality, particularly on interior could be better. Taller 6th gear to get RPM below 3000 at 80 mph.

Failed at only 23,000 miles
By Trevor

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Mini Cooper was fun. I think everyone already knows this. Ownership wasn't so fun. The trim around the windows is poorly done, I was going on my 3rd windshield due to previous windshields cracking and the main computer command board failed. It could no longer tell the automatic transmission what to do. At only 23,000 miles! Not good. I got rid of it. Oh, the dealership claimed the car wasn't wired properly either. On the 4th visit? Yikes!

Gas mileage of course. Paint was very good-a glittery blue. Heated seats! Handling.

Windshields, somehow body flexing caused cracking, trim around body of car and surrounding windshield needs to be made more sturdy. Inside of car seems cheesy and cheap.

smiling everyday
By sarahbeara

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

If you want to cheer yourself up everytime you get behind the wheel, then the Mini Cooper is for you! This is the zippiest little car I've ever driven. Every detail is thoughtfully designed and I've loved every minute I've had it. For a few thousand dollars more (we were looking for a used prius or civic) I realized that I could buy a car that I seriously love. I now LOOK FORWARD to driving. It's the kind of a treat that I highly recommend - better than an expensive vacation. Spend a few more dollars on a mini cooper, and you will be investing in a decade of smiles!

Sporty Blue chrome dashboard and amazingly cool doors, seat-warmer, stereo system, leather- wrapped steering wheel, relatively quiet ride, assability to merge into heavy traffic effortlessly.

The passenger door handle sticks sometimes. The trunk light will come on every now and then - it's a little finicky. Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, I'm driving a mini cooper S convertible - I have nothing to complain about.