Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Almost Perfect
By Suzanna

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A lot of fun, but lacks some practicality. Got rid of the run-flat tires to improve gas mileage and my dog kept stepping on the reset button anyway. Warning: no matter how considerate of a driver you might be, there are other drivers who are outright hostile to Mini Coopers (I've had other people confirm this). Maybe it's jealousy. Either way, watch out for it.

Favorite Features

The extra driving lights are great for back roads, the toggle switch controls are always fun, and the mileage/trip computer is addictive.

Suggested Improvements

I think they already fixed the cupholder. Better chrome plating- it keeps peeling. Relocate the run-flat reset button to the toggle switch area. What IS that empty space for, anyway?

Some issues, but a joy to drive
By driverone

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was at the dealership taking advantage of the 36,000 mile maintenance warranty more often than I'd like. First 36,000 miles: ball joint wore down, three sets of front tires (too much fun to drive), thermostat went out, front brake rotors replaced, tailgate sensor replaced, cd player skipped (radio replaced). After all is said and done, the MINI was a great car to drive. Even the convertible is faster than most cars on the road. It's easy to play leap frog in traffic with this little go-kart. Too bad they went to turbo, because hearing the whine of the supercharger was very comforting. I will miss the MINI, but not its potential for high maintenance costs and the small cargo area.

Favorite Features

remote convertible top, sunroof feature, manual shifting for automatic transmission, heads-up tach, great Harmon-Kardon stereo system, sport suspension is phenomenal, reverse alarm sensors, xenon headlights, headlights rise with hood (find cats in trees), tailgate nice for a seat (up to 150 lbs.)

Suggested Improvements

tranny has problems shifting in high- rpm range through middle gears (I manually shifted to keep rpms low), needs armrest, more horsepower, rollbars behind rear seat greatly affect visibility, headlights powerwash never worked properly, conv. top creaks when opening/closing

The all mighty MINI
By E-money

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a lot of fun but it comes with a lot of quirks too. The overall design (in and out) is smooth and pleasing to look at. We have the Racing Pulley accesory which adds horsepower and creates an intoxicating turbo sound when u punch the gas. The only real complaints I have with this car is the fact that with the run flat tires it rides severely stiff. The second is the reliability, from one day to the next the car will act strange (engine sounds, random jumps in electric). But never the less if you are looking to buy one I would highly reccomend it!

Favorite Features

Looks,Engine(with Racing Pulley), Bumpin' Sound System, Turns Heads :)

Suggested Improvements

Ride stiffness, UNRELIABLE, A little more Torque/HP

Buy A John Cooper Works
By sportscarnut

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 06 JCW over a year ago, and I have no regrets. This is my third BMW, and reliability has been on par with my prior cars (about average), but it is a blast to drive! The ride is certainly on the rough side, and there is a good amount of noise from the wind and a/c, so be prepared to crank up the radio. My JCW is rated at about 40 more hp than the S, but you really don't notice the difference in power unless you rev it hard. The noticeable difference w/ the JCW is in the limited slip differential, the aero body kit, and the brakes. Cornering versus the standard S is night-and-day difference. If you are a guy, stay with dark colors as light colors look cutesy on this car.

Favorite Features

The John Cooper Works Kit, limited slip, great exhaust sound, rock solid brakes, non-run-flat tires (I use Bridgestones), multitude of wheel designs from MINI, good gas mileage even when driven hard, good reliability for a performance car, corners like a car costing three times as much.

Suggested Improvements

If you live in the South, think twice about getting a sunroof, the dual glass with the perforated shade will absolutely bake you during the summer. Non-sunroof S cars are rare, but it is worth the cooler interior and the reduced weight and lowered center of gravity.

So Much Fun!
By jfied

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cooper Hatchback used with 13.4k miles, and I absolutely love it. Yes, it's a little on the loud side, and rough roads make for a bumpy ride. But this is absolutely "the most fun" car I have ever driven! It absolutely hugs the road - I love putting the sunroof down (and the seat heaters on if it's chilly) on a sunny day, especially if I have the luxury of a drive across the back roads. However, I live in an urban area, and most of my driving is a rush-hour commute. I still wouldn't change the car. I get about 27 MPG in town (bumper-to-bumper) and 33 MPG on the highway.

Favorite Features

Incredible control on curvy roads, plus the sunroof and seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

It is a little loud, and it would be nice if potholes weren't so noticeable.