2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Sad but True
By mangopop on 03/01/09 18:29 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mini in 2006. It was the ONLY car I wanted and I fell in love with it instantly. After 1 1/2 years, and about 12K miles I started having all sorts of electrical problems. Ive had more sensors go off than I knew were in the car! Airbag sensor, Gas sensor..and a few more that I don't remember the name for. I have now been in and out of the dealership every month for the last 5 months and i'm really disappointed that my Mini cooper did not live up to my expectations. I was hoping for it to be around for a while, now I'm looking to let it go before the warranty is up.

Fun to Drive! when not being repaired.
By Hillary on 01/18/09 13:01 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After 2 months of having it, I had the EML light go on and the car went into fail safe mode (9 mph). It did this on the 405 freeway, not very safe and very scary! I had the extended warranty and MINI roadside assistance came to pick it up. Apparantly it was the throttle body. 4 months later the same issue. This time it was the computer. 6 months later the same thing, this time they said it was just a fluke, everythings fine. Again 2 more times in the past 5 months. The MINI dealership is 35 miles away from my home, so this started to become a huge inconvenience especially with no rental car.

My Ford was more reliable.
By bstndance on 08/24/08 18:05 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Mini and had a great two year relationship with the car. Suddenly, after the two year mark its all downhill. It started with the fan always running even when the car was off. That turned into a water pump problem. Then the check engine light comes on randomly. The interior falls apart easily. The mini emblem on the steering wheel popped off when I pressed the horn. The windows and sunroof sometimes open when I unlock the car using the electronic fob. Now, the battery suddenly up and died in the middle of the day. I ran into a store for 15 mintues, came out and it was dead. Got jumped but the car died again the next day. Can't wait for my lease to finish!

The greatest thing since sliced bread!
By UKDragon on 06/09/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

What's not to like? The best exterior and interior designed car ever, great fuel economy, you can park it anywhere, still has a great kick in performance, it takes turns like nothing else! Ridiculously fun to drive, and you get to be part of the MINI community- don't forget to wave to other passing MINI owners on the road! One of the best things about this car is that you get to customize it's appearance however you wish. Go explore their website and virtually design your own MINI! I have had no technical issues with mine, and it's been 2 years. Plus it has a great warranty and the service is BMW quality. Nothing bad to say about it!

'06 Hyper Blue Cooper!
By BK on 11/15/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car screams! I always look forward to driving it, whether on an 800 mile round trip to the mountains, or a 2 mile trip to the store. Acceleration is super, as is braking. Cornering is something to look forward to, as there is no detectable lean, even when pushing what I would call normal "around town" driving. I have never had trouble merging onto the freeway, making that last-minute 3-lane lane change if I have to, or parking. My biggest worry is if someone dings one of the doors. I have the GPS system, which is not only hugely useful, but great fun. It gets twice the mileage of my V-8 SUV, which I keep because it's paid off, and sometimes I need to haul wood or dirt - not for a Mini!

My Favorite Car to Date!
By Mom loves Mini on 08/29/07 11:29 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Mini is excellent in the snow. Forget the 4-wheel big SUV, this little car handles the snow better than any other car I owned. In the summer, the Mini begs to be driven on the open road. Also, I have yet to find a parking spot that I can't fit into. I went to New York in the winter. At first the parking garage said there was no room, but when they saw my Mini, they found room for that car! I have yet to use my husbands truck to go grocery shopping. My Mini holds it all and then some!! I have yet to have a bad experience with my car. Just seeing my car makes me smile and I say "Mini, mini, mini!!"

After a Year and a Half
By Robert on 03/10/07 07:01 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car and I'm glad that I bought it. I purchased the S model and added the moonroof, fog lamps and DSC. The moonroof is outstanding, I like the DSC but if I didn't have the fog lamps, I wouldn't notice. I haven't had any problems, but after 20,000 miles there are a few rattles and squeaks (particularly in the brakes on a cold day - the dealer told me that that was because of the brake pad composition). Its gas mileage is good, even with having to buy premium gas (I just filled it today and spent $32 in NJ). All in all, this car is still a blast to drive and I always get a question or two at the car wash about it. I'm happy with my '06 Mini Cooper S!

Fun to Drive
By Stuart on 02/03/07 10:40 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini Cooper is roomier than most people think, so if you are considering one, sit in it. If you like to drive, this car is a blast. I thought that getting the automatic would reduce the fun, but it was for my wife and what she wanted. Living in the congested Portland, OR metro area, I have to say that it is the right choice. I do use the manual mode at times and can either maximize my fuel economy or power by shifting myself. We got the sport package with the 17" wheels. The ride is a little rough, but we don't mind and the handling is great. Its fuel economy in mostly city driving has been around 19-21 MPG. The door locks stopped working on the first day, but after the switch panel was replaced we haven't had any issues.

Awesome Car!
By ohblackwater on 01/28/07 14:42 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The MINI Cooper is an awesome car. I have driven 8,500 miles in mine and I have averaged 32.2 mpg with mostly in town driving. The power is good especially between 50 and 80 mph (I know that surprised me as well). The fit and finish are perfect. I'm very picky and I've owned this car for 6 months. I have yet to find a SINGLE defect in the car. I got the Premium and Sport packages. I will absolutely buy another MINI product. They're phenomenal quality and "Oh My GOD" fun to drive! This car is a go cart!

Great Car for the Money
By Kevin on 01/14/07 00:42 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've driven my MINI 3,200 miles so far. Although there are some bad reviews about the reliability of Minis, I haven't experienced any problems with mine. I drove many cars including Porsche and Lotus before Mini, and I have to say Mini tops the chart in most fun to drive category. My appreciation for the car's design in and out grows every time I look at it. Finally, its resale value is amazing. I don't think there are people who buy a cars and sell them for higher prices than Mini owners, true story.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.