Used 2006 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Great Car! But....
By JKPowers67

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini has been a great around town car, providing solid performance and a lot of fun. If my driving were still largely in town I would never get rid of it. However, I now commute 70 miles per day over rougher surface highways and the road noise is very significant. It makes it hard to talk on the phone, and in a quiet car (no music) it's just annoying. Reliability has been good, but the minor things that have come up required a 2 hour drive to pick up the car. The whole experience has been great, but it's time to move on. I pick up my Infinity G37 this afternoon. But I'll really miss my Mini.

Favorite Features

Convertible top is great, and the car looks fantastic with the top down. Great engine, smooth acceleration. The Harmon Kardon sound system sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

Less road noise. Improved build quality geared toward removing the annoying rattles. It needs a little better 0-60 performance.

Fun Commuter
By Fun Commute

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After much research I purchased a used one with 35k miles for local commutes.It's a go cart on steriods. Whole family loves it. It handles as well as anything I've ever driven in the twisty hills we have here and I've driven about every sports car out there. However, at speed on interstate( say 80-90 mph) it gets squirrely. Primarily as a result of torque steer, tight steering and fact it's a square box.I've put 7k on it and have had no maintenance issues except radio. Top is wonderful and surprisingly quiet but you're blind in rear quarterpanels when it's up. Mileage has been so so (24 cty-26 hwy) but pedal has been to floor since I've had it.I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission (6spd), engine and braking. Very roomy for a tiny car and an engineering marvel. Sunroof function on convertible is fabulous. Non-leaking roof.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls and sound system.

Loved it since I bought it.
By Dave Finski

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved my 2006 Mini convertible since I bought it brand new. My wife asked me what I'd get on my next one that I didn't get on the one I bought. My answer, "nothing". There isn't anything I feel I should have opted for. Nothing I opted for that I should have done without. Opted for the basic engine. Saved money and don't need the extra horsepower, extra complexity of the turbo now mileage loss from being assertive with the gas pedal. Got the chrome exterior do-dads to cheer it up, leather bolstered seats, AC, manual transmission, more chrome do-dads inside and heated seats. Must get the heated seats. Awesome when the air gets a bit chilly. Now my wife wants her own!

Favorite Features

Bostered leather, heated seats. We use the back seat for stuff we tote or an extra passenger from time to time. Convertible top is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

Some have scorned the cup holder that pivots from dash. I like it. It's not in the way at all, holds my sunglasses or a drink and can be removed at a whim if I so desire. I haven't desired!

Fun looking but poor quality
By katefromca

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Mini for 2.5 years; in that time, had an oil leak, brake problems, steering wheel problems, and a dead battery. Good thing it comes with warranty and full maintenance! It is a fun car to drive and people still gawk when seeing a Mini convertible. But, it is an extremely unreliable car and after awhile that does eat into the fun, even with free repairs and maintenance. Finally, traded it in for a not-so-fun but reliable and safe Subaru. If you are considering this car, make sure your Mini dealership is close to where you live, you'll be visiting it often!

Favorite Features

Look; styling; fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Controls in odd places, low visibility in convertible, unreliable for a new (and expensive) car

My Coop
By sandymonet

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the greatest little big car ever! I have no problems with pick up and I can out start my husband in his Corvette! It is beautiful in detailing and comfortable in seating. All controls are right at my finger tips so I do not have to grope around in the dark for anything. The on dash cup holder stinks, but that is minor in comparison to all the fun I have driving (zooming) around town. Glad I bought it especially now with gas prices so high. My gas lasts me about a week and then some. I can hook my ipod up and just go. Just love the way it handles the corners nice and tight at high speeds. The one touch button for top down is an added bonus. You should get one! Be glad you did.

Favorite Features

Convertible one touch button ipod hook up speed, quickness, techtronic run flat tires, pressure monitoring style, colors, seating, cockpit, handling, gas mileage, Harmon Kardon stereo

Suggested Improvements

Dash board cup holder