2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Almost Perfect
By Suzanna on 10/01/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A lot of fun, but lacks some practicality. Got rid of the run-flat tires to improve gas mileage and my dog kept stepping on the reset button anyway. Warning: no matter how considerate of a driver you might be, there are other drivers who are outright hostile to Mini Coopers (I've had other people confirm this). Maybe it's jealousy. Either way, watch out for it.

Some issues, but a joy to drive
By driverone on 07/11/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was at the dealership taking advantage of the 36,000 mile maintenance warranty more often than I'd like. First 36,000 miles: ball joint wore down, three sets of front tires (too much fun to drive), thermostat went out, front brake rotors replaced, tailgate sensor replaced, cd player skipped (radio replaced). After all is said and done, the MINI was a great car to drive. Even the convertible is faster than most cars on the road. It's easy to play leap frog in traffic with this little go-kart. Too bad they went to turbo, because hearing the whine of the supercharger was very comforting. I will miss the MINI, but not its potential for high maintenance costs and the small cargo area.

The all mighty MINI
By E-money on 07/01/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a lot of fun but it comes with a lot of quirks too. The overall design (in and out) is smooth and pleasing to look at. We have the Racing Pulley accesory which adds horsepower and creates an intoxicating turbo sound when u punch the gas. The only real complaints I have with this car is the fact that with the run flat tires it rides severely stiff. The second is the reliability, from one day to the next the car will act strange (engine sounds, random jumps in electric). But never the less if you are looking to buy one I would highly reccomend it!

Buy A John Cooper Works
By sportscarnut on 06/23/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 06 JCW over a year ago, and I have no regrets. This is my third BMW, and reliability has been on par with my prior cars (about average), but it is a blast to drive! The ride is certainly on the rough side, and there is a good amount of noise from the wind and a/c, so be prepared to crank up the radio. My JCW is rated at about 40 more hp than the S, but you really don't notice the difference in power unless you rev it hard. The noticeable difference w/ the JCW is in the limited slip differential, the aero body kit, and the brakes. Cornering versus the standard S is night-and-day difference. If you are a guy, stay with dark colors as light colors look cutesy on this car.

So Much Fun!
By jfied on 06/15/09 19:29 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cooper Hatchback used with 13.4k miles, and I absolutely love it. Yes, it's a little on the loud side, and rough roads make for a bumpy ride. But this is absolutely "the most fun" car I have ever driven! It absolutely hugs the road - I love putting the sunroof down (and the seat heaters on if it's chilly) on a sunny day, especially if I have the luxury of a drive across the back roads. However, I live in an urban area, and most of my driving is a rush-hour commute. I still wouldn't change the car. I get about 27 MPG in town (bumper-to-bumper) and 33 MPG on the highway.

Devil in the Details
By jim on 05/29/09 08:30 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Loud...very loud road noise from lack of any soundproofing insulation whatsoever and those iron run-flat tires. At speeds over 30mph, be prepared to blast the radio/CD player. Windows...could the doors have been made just a little taller to fully retract the side windows? Underpowered in the automatic transmission. In urban traffic where one has to floor it to enter a lane, the darn thing goes to top rpm and dies. Overall the car needs about 50-75 additional horsepower.

Think About It
By Bob S on 04/19/09 06:13 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love the personality of this car! I love the overall design--inside and out, but this car is not really meant for urban driving, especially in areas where there are potholes. In two years I have had to replace the struts twice and the brakes once and the run-flat tires while convenient provide for a jarring ride. The ride on expressways is great and acceleration is great. Think about how much the car costs and if you're ready to deal with it's quirky issues. Also, not as good on gas as one would expect--I averaged 19 mpg, not the best for a car of this size.

Sad but True
By mangopop on 03/01/09 18:29 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mini in 2006. It was the ONLY car I wanted and I fell in love with it instantly. After 1 1/2 years, and about 12K miles I started having all sorts of electrical problems. Ive had more sensors go off than I knew were in the car! Airbag sensor, Gas sensor..and a few more that I don't remember the name for. I have now been in and out of the dealership every month for the last 5 months and i'm really disappointed that my Mini cooper did not live up to my expectations. I was hoping for it to be around for a while, now I'm looking to let it go before the warranty is up.

Fun to Drive! when not being repaired.
By Hillary on 01/18/09 13:01 PM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After 2 months of having it, I had the EML light go on and the car went into fail safe mode (9 mph). It did this on the 405 freeway, not very safe and very scary! I had the extended warranty and MINI roadside assistance came to pick it up. Apparantly it was the throttle body. 4 months later the same issue. This time it was the computer. 6 months later the same thing, this time they said it was just a fluke, everythings fine. Again 2 more times in the past 5 months. The MINI dealership is 35 miles away from my home, so this started to become a huge inconvenience especially with no rental car.

Great Car! But....
By JKPowers67 on 01/13/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini has been a great around town car, providing solid performance and a lot of fun. If my driving were still largely in town I would never get rid of it. However, I now commute 70 miles per day over rougher surface highways and the road noise is very significant. It makes it hard to talk on the phone, and in a quiet car (no music) it's just annoying. Reliability has been good, but the minor things that have come up required a 2 hour drive to pick up the car. The whole experience has been great, but it's time to move on. I pick up my Infinity G37 this afternoon. But I'll really miss my Mini.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.