Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Where Form Meets Function
By Bill Prueter

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I looked at Mini over a two year period. I test drove it three times before my purchase. I could not be happier. I am impressed that it is the smallest car (143 inches) yet holds four people. My son is 6' 2" and says it is the nicest car he has ever driven (for fun he and I often test drive cars on Saturdays). His leg length does mean that someone can not sit behind him. Other wise we have had four people in the car ride comfortably. This car has zip. My Miata (former car) cornered very well, but this car performs even better. Its acceleration is wonderful. However, on a trip to New York I achieved 44.1 mpg one time and 41.5 another. I live in a small town and typically get 30 mpg.

I can not overstate how well this car rides. I have a good sense of the road. My wife loves this car. She wants one now. The sound system is excellent. This car is very quiet at high speeds. The interior is very well designed and the exterior is different in a good sense. I love the way it handles.

None, the car is superb.

Take It for a Long Test Drive
By Orlando

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had a Mini S Convertibe for four months and got rid of it. The car is nice to look at it but my sincere opinion is that is more of marketing hype that truly a good purchase. Various sites rate the Mini as having great resale value, but I found the hard way that not to be true. If you are really considering one take it for a really long test drive and please do not buy it with leatherete which is very hot and unconfortable. Also, I would recommend an automatic with paddle shifters, because of the weak engine you shift all the time in order to find the right gear. The Sport package is a great value and the convertible top with two functions is great. Finally for the money ($31,000) there better buys out there!

The convertible top and sound system.

Give it a better engine, better seats, shorter shifting, less expensive options and better service at the dealer.

What a Great Car
By Ernfun

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love my 2006 Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper Works Kit. I have been to "performance driving" schools at Limerock and New Hampsire International Speedway and was able to keep up with cars costing many times more. You really can't describe how the Mini accelerates and handles until you drive it. The six-speed transmission is unbelievably responsive. I commute 45 minutes each way to work and a boring drive has become an adventure. The sound system is excellent. The back seat is small but I'm able to drive my 12 and 14 year old kids comfortably and they love riding in the car.

The 207 HP combined with the six-speed transmission, great steering, and solid brakes. It's as if you can think where you want to go and the car goes there.

MINI has done a great job managing the tradeoffs. This car works.

Cooper S Report Card
By T.C.

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven...BUT it rides like my Grandfather's 1958 pickup, there's no give and you feel every bump in the road which causes bent/broken struts and or the brackets. It has seating for four with the LATCH system but it's really a 2 seater. When a carseat is installed there's no room for it to be occupied unless the person in the front seat is 4 feet tall with their seat all the way forward. Being small doesn't mean saving money at the pump due to using premium gas. The limited number of dealerships creates problems for the consumer both buying/selling and getting repairs/maintanence done. When there's only one dealership in the state it's very detramental for everyone.

The convertibles are great because of the ability to open and close the top to sunroof status at speeds up to 75 MPH. The S model has a lot of get up and go. It has a roomy boot (trunk) as the top doesn't take away any room for storage. The back seats fold down to make more room for carrying packages.

The air conditioning vents need to have more options for directional flow or need to be relocated. The convertible model has too many blind spots with the top up, so much so that it's bordering on being unsafe to drive. I would suggest that the rear head rests be lowered to open up visabiltiy for the driver.

Little Hot Chili
By d

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the best car to be resurrected. Unlike many movies, this sequel is equally as great as the original.

THe super responsive handling and go-kart-like agility

Lose the run flats, their ride is too harsh. Also, give it better brakes.