Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Most Helpful|
Love This Car
By melissa

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is every bit as much fun as it looks. It's also very solid. I was recently rear-ended and couldn't believe how sturdy the car is.

Favorite Features

It drives like a go-cart, but faster and parks anywhere. It has an iPod connection built in. It gets great gas mileage. It has a navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation on the stereo isn't the greatest. The interface with the iPod is really basic and a little dissappointing, although the sound is great.

Zippy but chilly
By Sutton86

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Cute, fun car to drive. You'll get lots of compliments! Good power and cornering. Great gas mileage. Visibility is poor when top is up; average when top is down. Roll bars stick up and ruin the line of the car. The Miata is superior for design and visibility. In fact, I miss my old Miata but needed more space.

Favorite Features

Cool speedometer. Like knowing the outside temperature. You must get heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

I live in a place where it doesn't get really hot so the heater is completely inadequate when the top is down and the temp drops below 70. Bring a coat and hat.

Sad but True
By mangopop

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mini in 2006. It was the ONLY car I wanted and I fell in love with it instantly. After 1 1/2 years, and about 12K miles I started having all sorts of electrical problems. Ive had more sensors go off than I knew were in the car! Airbag sensor, Gas sensor..and a few more that I don't remember the name for. I have now been in and out of the dealership every month for the last 5 months and i'm really disappointed that my Mini cooper did not live up to my expectations. I was hoping for it to be around for a while, now I'm looking to let it go before the warranty is up.

Favorite Features

It has so much character! The chrome interior/exterior bits really add to the design and I'm so glad I got them. Customization is great. Surprisingly holds a lot when the rear seats come down. Never a problem fitting all I needed in this little car.

Suggested Improvements

The drive is rough and loud! Open up the sunroof and you have to yell for your passengers to be able to hear you. Just swapped out my run-flats for regular tires and the ride is a bit better, but every time I hit a rough street I tense up because it handles the bumps so poorly.

My Ford was more reliable.
By bstndance

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Mini and had a great two year relationship with the car. Suddenly, after the two year mark its all downhill. It started with the fan always running even when the car was off. That turned into a water pump problem. Then the check engine light comes on randomly. The interior falls apart easily. The mini emblem on the steering wheel popped off when I pressed the horn. The windows and sunroof sometimes open when I unlock the car using the electronic fob. Now, the battery suddenly up and died in the middle of the day. I ran into a store for 15 mintues, came out and it was dead. Got jumped but the car died again the next day. Can't wait for my lease to finish!

Favorite Features

Size, handling, popularity. Very easy to park.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical issues. But hey, it's a German car. What do you expect?

Failed at only 23,000 miles
By Trevor

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Mini Cooper was fun. I think everyone already knows this. Ownership wasn't so fun. The trim around the windows is poorly done, I was going on my 3rd windshield due to previous windshields cracking and the main computer command board failed. It could no longer tell the automatic transmission what to do. At only 23,000 miles! Not good. I got rid of it. Oh, the dealership claimed the car wasn't wired properly either. On the 4th visit? Yikes!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage of course. Paint was very good-a glittery blue. Heated seats! Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Windshields, somehow body flexing caused cracking, trim around body of car and surrounding windshield needs to be made more sturdy. Inside of car seems cheesy and cheap.