Used 2006 MINI Cooper S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 MINI Cooper S - Consumer Reviews

S 1.6L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual w/John Cooper Works GP Kit - (6 reviews )

Love my SCOOTER!
By scooterluv1

2006 MINI Cooper S S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned many cars in my day, but this scooter (Mini Cooper S) is the most fun to drive. This car is quick, roomy (I am 6'2", 200#), a sure head-turner and financially economical. Warning: If you are looking for a smooth ride and back seat roominess, pick another car... I bought it 2 years ago w/21000 miles on it and now it has 50000 miles. I have had few issues w/it; (thankfully, I did purchase a good aftermarket warranty) most major issue was w/carbon dirt build-up/clogging up the fuel injectors, but a fuel system flesh ($100.00) and 93/100 octane gas cleared that right up. I am very well pleased w/this blend of Mini/BWN.

My favorite car I've ever owned
By fervidmuse

My 2006 MINI Cooper S was the second MINI Cooper S that I owned, my first being a 2003 There were so many improvements made to the 2005 and 2006 body style over the 2002-2004 models. The 2002-2004 models are just as fun but not as easy to live with. The MINI is a car that you buy if you love driving; it simply puts a smile on your face every time you get in it, even the non-S models. I particularly like the cheeky British styling altho not everyone does. It was tied for highest resale value (w/Honda Civic) for compacts! If reliability, interior space or a quiet ride (MINIs have lots of interior squeaks/rattles) are at the top of your shopping this, this probably isn't the car for you.

Reving the engine on the supercharged S-model is exhilarating. I've driven many cars which are faster than this, but the engine has such a willingness that just implores you to explore the whole tachometer unlike most other cars. The exhaust note is perfect and the 2005-2006 S have a slight burble/bark when you let off the throttle which makes it feel so much more alive. The interior materials are fairly good and up to what you'd expect in a less expensive BMW as it is. Due to the pedal placement you can effortlessly heel-toe. I much prefer the clutch feel to the lighter 2007+ turbo S cars in addition to the sound although the 2007+ models are quieter, ride better and get better mileage.

As much as I loved both of my MINIs, the amazing community of MINI drivers that organize fun driving events, neither of my MINIs were particularly reliable. Even my 2006 which was supposed to be the best of the first gen R53 MINIs had its share of problems including multiple issues with the horn, ECU computer, water leaks, stuck shifter, thermostat, power steering fan, dead key, a stuck valve lifter, climate control switches, etc. My 2003 had its sunroof leak, the emergency brake cable seize and the steering column fail(!), and the door handle only intermittently worked in cold weather. Besides those items I'd still highly recommend any MINI if you can afford the BMW-priced maintenance.

Good things come in small packages
By 2MANYCARS

A pocket hot rod, Goliath killer. I have all the high perf. options and love the overall package performance. A couple of laps at Sebring surprised my brother who races a Porsche there. Stable, fast, excellent brakes, peppy engine. If you want thrifty car, buy a VW diesel. This is about fun and "low self esteem ", they will look at you for sure. Bought HK Sound and Chrono Package. Love them. Chili Red with Silver top different look altogether from Red/White. Would buy again.

S with JCW package can't be beat . HK sound is great. Prefer Chrono package layout with Speedo and Tach in front of driver .

Get rid of run flats.

GP - From 0019 in the US
By AprilWhine

This is my fourth MINI, not bad on a car only that has only been available in the US since 2002! I've loved them all, but the GP is really something special. From the sound of the supercharger winding up to the road hugging dynamics, it's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned.

The JCW tuned engine.

The OEM Navigation in the 2007 model needs improvement.

Chili Red 2006 Mini
By ChiliRed2006

I am tall, but have plenty of head and leg room in my Mini. The hatchback with back seats that lay flat allows me to get a lot of cargo in the back. It has great visibility, gas mileage, and it's just fun to drive. I love this car!

The great gas mileage, large instrument dials, extra side sunshade, how it is loaded with airbags, iPod adapter, spacious front seats, and ample leg room

It could use 2-3 inches more backseat leg room, 4-doors, a standard intermittent windshield wiper setting, and a standard auto head light feature