2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
My Mini has driven me off the deep end!
By jaimief on 08/29/11 16:33 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 mini cooper hatchback automatic and have had nothing but HORRIFIC problems from the start! Where to begin, well all of the internal accessories have either fallen off broke, or cracked within the first year, including: cup holder, visor, change cup holder lid, and cigarette lighter!! Then someone smashed into my car and nearly totaled it, Prestige mini was responsible for fixing the damage and had me drive up there three times because they could not fix it properly. After the third time, it still was not fixed, the better business needed to get involved and still to this day, 4 years later, my car still is the most unreliable car imaginable. Terrible customer service!

MINI, Test drive one to understand...
By 14characters on 07/16/11 10:44 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first MINI & I would buy another, given the chance. Fun to Drive, always. Reliable? After logging 73,000 miles without incident, I can say yes. Great service from the dealer from new. As Small as it seems, I can easily carry 8' pieces of lumber inside if needed. Plenty 'o' leg room in the front. Fine for my young one in the back. Glued to the road. I slid on some gravel on a back country road moving at a good pace, yep! handles like a go-cart, I felt safe.

New owner
By skip2211 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2006S in October 2010. i get about 27 mpg city and 30-34 mpg highway. Sunroof will bake the driver as there is no shade ! I am having it limo tinted. Performance is great but ride is VERY stiff. Potholes feel like craters. Great handling and fun to drive. Oil change at Mini dealer is over $100.. Had to buy a bra for it as the front attracts all rocks. I am 65 and feel like a kid again! Holds resale value well but Mini dealers are few and far away and costly. Get rid of the run flat tires but then you have no spare ! It turns heads wherever I go and is bright red.

Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche
By Steve on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought w/15,000 miles on it. Now has 37,000.6 spd manual. Unusual instrumentation with smaller speedo and tach mounted side by side on steering wheel. Love driving the car. It's almost as fun to drive as a Porsche 911 I had. Supercharged engine has plenty of power. Handling is very good, although ride is more unforgiving than the Porsche due to the run flat tires. If you don't know, minis don't come with a spare tire, thus the run flats. Repairs that I had to deal with include a leak around the thermostat (twice), a leaky hydraulic motor mount, a minor oil leak, and a faulty passenger airbag sensor that required replacing the passenger seat cover ($1200, but covered by warranty).

Failed at only 23,000 miles
By Trevor on 08/06/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Mini Cooper was fun. I think everyone already knows this. Ownership wasn't so fun. The trim around the windows is poorly done, I was going on my 3rd windshield due to previous windshields cracking and the main computer command board failed. It could no longer tell the automatic transmission what to do. At only 23,000 miles! Not good. I got rid of it. Oh, the dealership claimed the car wasn't wired properly either. On the 4th visit? Yikes!

Almost Perfect
By Suzanna on 10/01/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A lot of fun, but lacks some practicality. Got rid of the run-flat tires to improve gas mileage and my dog kept stepping on the reset button anyway. Warning: no matter how considerate of a driver you might be, there are other drivers who are outright hostile to Mini Coopers (I've had other people confirm this). Maybe it's jealousy. Either way, watch out for it.

The all mighty MINI
By E-money on 07/01/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a lot of fun but it comes with a lot of quirks too. The overall design (in and out) is smooth and pleasing to look at. We have the Racing Pulley accesory which adds horsepower and creates an intoxicating turbo sound when u punch the gas. The only real complaints I have with this car is the fact that with the run flat tires it rides severely stiff. The second is the reliability, from one day to the next the car will act strange (engine sounds, random jumps in electric). But never the less if you are looking to buy one I would highly reccomend it!

Buy A John Cooper Works
By sportscarnut on 06/23/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 06 JCW over a year ago, and I have no regrets. This is my third BMW, and reliability has been on par with my prior cars (about average), but it is a blast to drive! The ride is certainly on the rough side, and there is a good amount of noise from the wind and a/c, so be prepared to crank up the radio. My JCW is rated at about 40 more hp than the S, but you really don't notice the difference in power unless you rev it hard. The noticeable difference w/ the JCW is in the limited slip differential, the aero body kit, and the brakes. Cornering versus the standard S is night-and-day difference. If you are a guy, stay with dark colors as light colors look cutesy on this car.

So Much Fun!
By jfied on 06/15/09 19:29 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cooper Hatchback used with 13.4k miles, and I absolutely love it. Yes, it's a little on the loud side, and rough roads make for a bumpy ride. But this is absolutely "the most fun" car I have ever driven! It absolutely hugs the road - I love putting the sunroof down (and the seat heaters on if it's chilly) on a sunny day, especially if I have the luxury of a drive across the back roads. However, I live in an urban area, and most of my driving is a rush-hour commute. I still wouldn't change the car. I get about 27 MPG in town (bumper-to-bumper) and 33 MPG on the highway.

Think About It
By Bob S on 04/19/09 06:13 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love the personality of this car! I love the overall design--inside and out, but this car is not really meant for urban driving, especially in areas where there are potholes. In two years I have had to replace the struts twice and the brakes once and the run-flat tires while convenient provide for a jarring ride. The ride on expressways is great and acceleration is great. Think about how much the car costs and if you're ready to deal with it's quirky issues. Also, not as good on gas as one would expect--I averaged 19 mpg, not the best for a car of this size.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.