Used 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My Mini has driven me off the deep end!
By jaimief

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 mini cooper hatchback automatic and have had nothing but HORRIFIC problems from the start! Where to begin, well all of the internal accessories have either fallen off broke, or cracked within the first year, including: cup holder, visor, change cup holder lid, and cigarette lighter!! Then someone smashed into my car and nearly totaled it, Prestige mini was responsible for fixing the damage and had me drive up there three times because they could not fix it properly. After the third time, it still was not fixed, the better business needed to get involved and still to this day, 4 years later, my car still is the most unreliable car imaginable. Terrible customer service!

MINI, Test drive one to understand...
By 14characters

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first MINI & I would buy another, given the chance. Fun to Drive, always. Reliable? After logging 73,000 miles without incident, I can say yes. Great service from the dealer from new. As Small as it seems, I can easily carry 8' pieces of lumber inside if needed. Plenty 'o' leg room in the front. Fine for my young one in the back. Glued to the road. I slid on some gravel on a back country road moving at a good pace, yep! handles like a go-cart, I felt safe.

Favorite Features

Sport Package, handling, speedy at 4000 rpm & up, heated seats, Dealer service. (Flow MINI, NC)

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in front were better in later years.

New owner
By skip2211

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2006S in October 2010. i get about 27 mpg city and 30-34 mpg highway. Sunroof will bake the driver as there is no shade ! I am having it limo tinted. Performance is great but ride is VERY stiff. Potholes feel like craters. Great handling and fun to drive. Oil change at Mini dealer is over $100.. Had to buy a bra for it as the front attracts all rocks. I am 65 and feel like a kid again! Holds resale value well but Mini dealers are few and far away and costly. Get rid of the run flat tires but then you have no spare ! It turns heads wherever I go and is bright red.

Favorite Features

Performance , fun to drive and fuel economy. Seating is very comfortable and accommodates tall drivers easily.

Suggested Improvements

Sun Shade needed for sunroof. Spare tire needed.

Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche
By Steve

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought w/15,000 miles on it. Now has 37,000.6 spd manual. Unusual instrumentation with smaller speedo and tach mounted side by side on steering wheel. Love driving the car. It's almost as fun to drive as a Porsche 911 I had. Supercharged engine has plenty of power. Handling is very good, although ride is more unforgiving than the Porsche due to the run flat tires. If you don't know, minis don't come with a spare tire, thus the run flats. Repairs that I had to deal with include a leak around the thermostat (twice), a leaky hydraulic motor mount, a minor oil leak, and a faulty passenger airbag sensor that required replacing the passenger seat cover ($1200, but covered by warranty).

Favorite Features

Engine power (I have the Cooper Works air intake and exhaust) Looks Driving fun It doesn't take long to wash it!

Suggested Improvements

Water collects in doors after washing or rain, causing windows to get REALLY messed up when you roll them down and up. Build quality, particularly on interior could be better. Taller 6th gear to get RPM below 3000 at 80 mph.

Failed at only 23,000 miles
By Trevor

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Mini Cooper was fun. I think everyone already knows this. Ownership wasn't so fun. The trim around the windows is poorly done, I was going on my 3rd windshield due to previous windshields cracking and the main computer command board failed. It could no longer tell the automatic transmission what to do. At only 23,000 miles! Not good. I got rid of it. Oh, the dealership claimed the car wasn't wired properly either. On the 4th visit? Yikes!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage of course. Paint was very good-a glittery blue. Heated seats! Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Windshields, somehow body flexing caused cracking, trim around body of car and surrounding windshield needs to be made more sturdy. Inside of car seems cheesy and cheap.