Used 2006 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

too much fun
By gobama1982

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

if you don't like strangers looking,asking questions,or huddled around your car when you go to get in it at the bank,store, restaurant ect . this may not be the car for you because trust me it will happen !!! if you love to drive ,have fun driving,love life,are a happy person then you need to own one !!!!

Favorite Features

plenty of room inside ,comfortable seats,quick response,most fun car to drive @ i've owned corvettes,camaros,@ mustangs to name a few.smallest car i have ever owned but largest conversation piece .very well built to say the least,hugs the road,beautiful @ sporty,convertible top is effortless !!! !!!

Suggested Improvements

rear blind spot with top up

Beware
By martini7721

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car was too expensive to own. Between having to pay for run flat tires and synthetic oil changes, a broken timing belt at 50k and a busted head gasket at 100k, this car cost me just a hair under $15,000 in repairs and maintenance over a period of seven years. I bought it brand new in 2006 for $28,000. Couldn't even allow myself to sell it privately because I was so angry at the cost of owning this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I can't deny it was a wonderful driving experience. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 300 pounds, and found this car to be very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I found Mini's Service to dismissive and under qualified. At one point I had a wheel barring that was making noise, and they deduced it was the tires.

smiling everyday
By sarahbeara

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

If you want to cheer yourself up everytime you get behind the wheel, then the Mini Cooper is for you! This is the zippiest little car I've ever driven. Every detail is thoughtfully designed and I've loved every minute I've had it. For a few thousand dollars more (we were looking for a used prius or civic) I realized that I could buy a car that I seriously love. I now LOOK FORWARD to driving. It's the kind of a treat that I highly recommend - better than an expensive vacation. Spend a few more dollars on a mini cooper, and you will be investing in a decade of smiles!

Favorite Features

Sporty Blue chrome dashboard and amazingly cool doors, seat-warmer, stereo system, leather- wrapped steering wheel, relatively quiet ride, assability to merge into heavy traffic effortlessly.

Suggested Improvements

The passenger door handle sticks sometimes. The trunk light will come on every now and then - it's a little finicky. Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, I'm driving a mini cooper S convertible - I have nothing to complain about.

Some issues, but a joy to drive
By driverone

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was at the dealership taking advantage of the 36,000 mile maintenance warranty more often than I'd like. First 36,000 miles: ball joint wore down, three sets of front tires (too much fun to drive), thermostat went out, front brake rotors replaced, tailgate sensor replaced, cd player skipped (radio replaced). After all is said and done, the MINI was a great car to drive. Even the convertible is faster than most cars on the road. It's easy to play leap frog in traffic with this little go-kart. Too bad they went to turbo, because hearing the whine of the supercharger was very comforting. I will miss the MINI, but not its potential for high maintenance costs and the small cargo area.

Favorite Features

remote convertible top, sunroof feature, manual shifting for automatic transmission, heads-up tach, great Harmon-Kardon stereo system, sport suspension is phenomenal, reverse alarm sensors, xenon headlights, headlights rise with hood (find cats in trees), tailgate nice for a seat (up to 150 lbs.)

Suggested Improvements

tranny has problems shifting in high- rpm range through middle gears (I manually shifted to keep rpms low), needs armrest, more horsepower, rollbars behind rear seat greatly affect visibility, headlights powerwash never worked properly, conv. top creaks when opening/closing

Devil in the Details
By jim

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Loud...very loud road noise from lack of any soundproofing insulation whatsoever and those iron run-flat tires. At speeds over 30mph, be prepared to blast the radio/CD player. Windows...could the doors have been made just a little taller to fully retract the side windows? Underpowered in the automatic transmission. In urban traffic where one has to floor it to enter a lane, the darn thing goes to top rpm and dies. Overall the car needs about 50-75 additional horsepower.

Favorite Features

Good/above average seats, leg room seated height. I'm 6'5" and have lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Sound proofing!!! I fly Army helicopters and the road noise with everything closed up, is comparable to a UH-1. Blue/green instrument backlighting, never, never, never use red! Fix the windows so they fully retract with the top of the doors.