2006 MINI Cooper Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
too much fun
By gobama1982 on 08/09/13 20:21 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

if you don't like strangers looking,asking questions,or huddled around your car when you go to get in it at the bank,store, restaurant ect . this may not be the car for you because trust me it will happen !!! if you love to drive ,have fun driving,love life,are a happy person then you need to own one !!!!

Beware
By martini7721 on 06/24/13 11:20 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car was too expensive to own. Between having to pay for run flat tires and synthetic oil changes, a broken timing belt at 50k and a busted head gasket at 100k, this car cost me just a hair under $15,000 in repairs and maintenance over a period of seven years. I bought it brand new in 2006 for $28,000. Couldn't even allow myself to sell it privately because I was so angry at the cost of owning this vehicle.

smiling everyday
By sarahbeara on 06/21/10 09:40 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

If you want to cheer yourself up everytime you get behind the wheel, then the Mini Cooper is for you! This is the zippiest little car I've ever driven. Every detail is thoughtfully designed and I've loved every minute I've had it. For a few thousand dollars more (we were looking for a used prius or civic) I realized that I could buy a car that I seriously love. I now LOOK FORWARD to driving. It's the kind of a treat that I highly recommend - better than an expensive vacation. Spend a few more dollars on a mini cooper, and you will be investing in a decade of smiles!

Some issues, but a joy to drive
By driverone on 07/11/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was at the dealership taking advantage of the 36,000 mile maintenance warranty more often than I'd like. First 36,000 miles: ball joint wore down, three sets of front tires (too much fun to drive), thermostat went out, front brake rotors replaced, tailgate sensor replaced, cd player skipped (radio replaced). After all is said and done, the MINI was a great car to drive. Even the convertible is faster than most cars on the road. It's easy to play leap frog in traffic with this little go-kart. Too bad they went to turbo, because hearing the whine of the supercharger was very comforting. I will miss the MINI, but not its potential for high maintenance costs and the small cargo area.

Devil in the Details
By jim on 05/29/09 08:30 AM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Loud...very loud road noise from lack of any soundproofing insulation whatsoever and those iron run-flat tires. At speeds over 30mph, be prepared to blast the radio/CD player. Windows...could the doors have been made just a little taller to fully retract the side windows? Underpowered in the automatic transmission. In urban traffic where one has to floor it to enter a lane, the darn thing goes to top rpm and dies. Overall the car needs about 50-75 additional horsepower.

Great Car! But....
By JKPowers67 on 01/13/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini has been a great around town car, providing solid performance and a lot of fun. If my driving were still largely in town I would never get rid of it. However, I now commute 70 miles per day over rougher surface highways and the road noise is very significant. It makes it hard to talk on the phone, and in a quiet car (no music) it's just annoying. Reliability has been good, but the minor things that have come up required a 2 hour drive to pick up the car. The whole experience has been great, but it's time to move on. I pick up my Infinity G37 this afternoon. But I'll really miss my Mini.

Fun Commuter
By Fun Commute on 01/01/09 09:29 AM (PST)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After much research I purchased a used one with 35k miles for local commutes.It's a go cart on steriods. Whole family loves it. It handles as well as anything I've ever driven in the twisty hills we have here and I've driven about every sports car out there. However, at speed on interstate( say 80-90 mph) it gets squirrely. Primarily as a result of torque steer, tight steering and fact it's a square box.I've put 7k on it and have had no maintenance issues except radio. Top is wonderful and surprisingly quiet but you're blind in rear quarterpanels when it's up. Mileage has been so so (24 cty-26 hwy) but pedal has been to floor since I've had it.I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Loved it since I bought it.
By Dave Finski on 10/27/08 14:03 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved my 2006 Mini convertible since I bought it brand new. My wife asked me what I'd get on my next one that I didn't get on the one I bought. My answer, "nothing". There isn't anything I feel I should have opted for. Nothing I opted for that I should have done without. Opted for the basic engine. Saved money and don't need the extra horsepower, extra complexity of the turbo now mileage loss from being assertive with the gas pedal. Got the chrome exterior do-dads to cheer it up, leather bolstered seats, AC, manual transmission, more chrome do-dads inside and heated seats. Must get the heated seats. Awesome when the air gets a bit chilly. Now my wife wants her own!

Fun looking but poor quality
By katefromca on 05/19/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Mini for 2.5 years; in that time, had an oil leak, brake problems, steering wheel problems, and a dead battery. Good thing it comes with warranty and full maintenance! It is a fun car to drive and people still gawk when seeing a Mini convertible. But, it is an extremely unreliable car and after awhile that does eat into the fun, even with free repairs and maintenance. Finally, traded it in for a not-so-fun but reliable and safe Subaru. If you are considering this car, make sure your Mini dealership is close to where you live, you'll be visiting it often!

My Coop
By sandymonet on 05/10/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the greatest little big car ever! I have no problems with pick up and I can out start my husband in his Corvette! It is beautiful in detailing and comfortable in seating. All controls are right at my finger tips so I do not have to grope around in the dark for anything. The on dash cup holder stinks, but that is minor in comparison to all the fun I have driving (zooming) around town. Glad I bought it especially now with gas prices so high. My gas lasts me about a week and then some. I can hook my ipod up and just go. Just love the way it handles the corners nice and tight at high speeds. The one touch button for top down is an added bonus. You should get one! Be glad you did.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.