Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

too much fun
By gobama1982

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

if you don't like strangers looking,asking questions,or huddled around your car when you go to get in it at the bank,store, restaurant ect . this may not be the car for you because trust me it will happen !!! if you love to drive ,have fun driving,love life,are a happy person then you need to own one !!!!

plenty of room inside ,comfortable seats,quick response,most fun car to drive @ i've owned corvettes,camaros,@ mustangs to name a few.smallest car i have ever owned but largest conversation piece .very well built to say the least,hugs the road,beautiful @ sporty,convertible top is effortless !!! !!!

rear blind spot with top up

Beware
By martini7721

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car was too expensive to own. Between having to pay for run flat tires and synthetic oil changes, a broken timing belt at 50k and a busted head gasket at 100k, this car cost me just a hair under $15,000 in repairs and maintenance over a period of seven years. I bought it brand new in 2006 for $28,000. Couldn't even allow myself to sell it privately because I was so angry at the cost of owning this vehicle.

I can't deny it was a wonderful driving experience. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 300 pounds, and found this car to be very comfortable.

I found Mini's Service to dismissive and under qualified. At one point I had a wheel barring that was making noise, and they deduced it was the tires.

Love my SCOOTER!
By scooterluv1

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned many cars in my day, but this scooter (Mini Cooper S) is the most fun to drive. This car is quick, roomy (I am 6'2", 200#), a sure head-turner and financially economical. Warning: If you are looking for a smooth ride and back seat roominess, pick another car... I bought it 2 years ago w/21000 miles on it and now it has 50000 miles. I have had few issues w/it; (thankfully, I did purchase a good aftermarket warranty) most major issue was w/carbon dirt build-up/clogging up the fuel injectors, but a fuel system flesh ($100.00) and 93/100 octane gas cleared that right up. I am very well pleased w/this blend of Mini/BWN.

My favorite car I've ever owned
By fervidmuse

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My 2006 MINI Cooper S was the second MINI Cooper S that I owned, my first being a 2003 There were so many improvements made to the 2005 and 2006 body style over the 2002-2004 models. The 2002-2004 models are just as fun but not as easy to live with. The MINI is a car that you buy if you love driving; it simply puts a smile on your face every time you get in it, even the non-S models. I particularly like the cheeky British styling altho not everyone does. It was tied for highest resale value (w/Honda Civic) for compacts! If reliability, interior space or a quiet ride (MINIs have lots of interior squeaks/rattles) are at the top of your shopping this, this probably isn't the car for you.

Reving the engine on the supercharged S-model is exhilarating. I've driven many cars which are faster than this, but the engine has such a willingness that just implores you to explore the whole tachometer unlike most other cars. The exhaust note is perfect and the 2005-2006 S have a slight burble/bark when you let off the throttle which makes it feel so much more alive. The interior materials are fairly good and up to what you'd expect in a less expensive BMW as it is. Due to the pedal placement you can effortlessly heel-toe. I much prefer the clutch feel to the lighter 2007+ turbo S cars in addition to the sound although the 2007+ models are quieter, ride better and get better mileage.

As much as I loved both of my MINIs, the amazing community of MINI drivers that organize fun driving events, neither of my MINIs were particularly reliable. Even my 2006 which was supposed to be the best of the first gen R53 MINIs had its share of problems including multiple issues with the horn, ECU computer, water leaks, stuck shifter, thermostat, power steering fan, dead key, a stuck valve lifter, climate control switches, etc. My 2003 had its sunroof leak, the emergency brake cable seize and the steering column fail(!), and the door handle only intermittently worked in cold weather. Besides those items I'd still highly recommend any MINI if you can afford the BMW-priced maintenance.

My Mini has driven me off the deep end!
By jaimief

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 mini cooper hatchback automatic and have had nothing but HORRIFIC problems from the start! Where to begin, well all of the internal accessories have either fallen off broke, or cracked within the first year, including: cup holder, visor, change cup holder lid, and cigarette lighter!! Then someone smashed into my car and nearly totaled it, Prestige mini was responsible for fixing the damage and had me drive up there three times because they could not fix it properly. After the third time, it still was not fixed, the better business needed to get involved and still to this day, 4 years later, my car still is the most unreliable car imaginable. Terrible customer service!