2005 MINI Cooper Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2005 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

Mini Car - Max Fun
By COOPER

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a delight! The only problem that I have had with it was rubbed wiring and it was fixed quickly at the dealer. We enjoy this car so much. It's velcroed to the road! It performs perfectly on the interstate at 75 mph or crawling in the city. I can't wait to see what MINI comes up with next!

Makes me feel young.
By Ted

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My 2005 MINI Cooper S Convertible is my weekend car. It is extremely fun to drive. I park my SUV in the driveway after work and just take off with my MINI. It is a throw back to my younger days.

Favorite Features

I love the 6 speed manual transmission, it gets to to speed in seconds. With top down it just feels invigerating.

Suggested Improvements

It is hard to see behind you with the top down, it sticks up to much.

Fun to drive? You better believe it!
By Brian

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the first car I've owned in a while (10 years or so of truck ownership preceeded it) and I've always wanted a convertible. WOW. There are not enough adjectives to describe what it's like to drive this car. From handling corners like they're not even there, to lots of punch in acceleration, you can't help but have a huge grin on your face when you're putting this car through it's paces. Still, nearly a year after I bought it, I still get people daily asking me about it, if it's fun to drive, where I got it...it's the most fun I've ever had driving a car. To the editors ratings..7.8? How can you possibly put as much weight into 'cupholders' as you do 'fun to drive'?

Favorite Features

The sunroof top...those days when it's not warm enough for the full drop top, just roll the 'sunroof' back and still let lots of fresh air in!

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have is the back window becoming very unclear in the rain.

Cool Ride
By romeo427

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just picked-up my '05 Mini Cooper "S." Its handling is, well, unbelievable! I am geting 27 mpg in combined driving. I have not gotten anywhere near the rated 32 mpg (automatic). This car is bigger than it looks. It is fun to drive. I was not impressed with the "go" factor in the recent east coast snow.

Favorite Features

The handling and size.

Suggested Improvements

I am not to pleased with the gas mileage.

Fun, Responsive, Yeah Baby!
By Kim

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 MINI Cooper Convertible is a terrific little car. It handles beautifully, has fantastic braking, and good acceleration (especially with available clutchless manual). Plus it's a real headturner. The convertible top operation is a breeze. Rear seating and trunk space are nominal, but who cares? I have had no problems at all with it in first 9 months of ownership.

Favorite Features

I like the quick and easy convertible top. It even has a neat sunroof option for days whether the weather is unpredictable. I also like the great brakes. This car looks marvelous.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the supersized cupholder for the US market. I don't need it and don't want it. Move the other cupholders away from the toggle switches. Improve the rear visibility in the convertible model.

Super Pleased
By Chris

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just picked up a slightly pre-owned 2005 Mini Cooper S. I'm here to tell you that I absolutely love it. I had a chance to sit in one of these cars at an auto show earlier this year. I never guessed to give it a try because I'm a big guy. I tell you what, I had loads of room left over. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a sports car. So don't complain about space or convenience. You don't buy this car for those things, you buy a Honsa Civic. You buy the Mini for fun and that's what it is, FUN, with a capital "F" baby. Its very quick on its feet and handles like there is no possibility of slidinig. Sure its stiff but its supposed to be, again its a Sports Car...and I am LOVING it, Giddy Up!

Favorite Features

The handling is incredible. If you love to drive go-karts, then you'll love owning a Mini because it will be like going to the go-kart trac every time you drive it. Also, the gauges are awesome. They are big and almost caricature like. They are easy to read and they drive home that race car feel!

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, I can't think of any. I love it! I noticed that some people said that the car should have more storage space or that it should be more convenient. Hello, its not that type of car. Its a sports car. Its an enthusiasts car. This is not a car meant for commuting or convenience. FUN FUN.

Only in the Summer
By KOW

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The MINI Cooper S is a great little car. It's lots of fun to drive and corners as if on rails...but only on dry roads. If the road is wet or worse (snowy) this thing is scary dangerous. The run flat tires are hard and stiff and provide scant traction. We live in the foothills outside of Denver and value our lives more than the car. Also, resale value is NOT as good as we had expected.

Favorite Features

We love the style & zip. I truly hated to part with it.

Suggested Improvements

The rear side windows should open a smidge to provide air. Pay attention to noise when sunroof is open.

2005 MINI Cooper S
By Sam Mannos

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The S Cooper is not only fun to drive, it is practicle. Everyone that sees it or has an opportunity to drive one, wants one. We are looking forward to the new Mini Cooper S models coming out. We will probably add a second one to our family next year. When they build a 4 door Cooper S, we will immediately order one.

Favorite Features

The handling.

Suggested Improvements

Build a 4 door Cooper S.

Convertible Top Problem
By jean

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Only one problem has turned up with my MINI. The convertible top got a wire rubbed and shorted out the wiring harness. They replaced the whole harness at no charge. Other than that, we love that little sweetheart!

Favorite Features

Motoring with the top down and the sun on my back!

Suggested Improvements

Power seats would be nice.

I Love My Mini
By sojurn79

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 MINI Cooper is truly a fantastic car with so many options available that you get a completely customizable ride straight from the factory. I recommend this car to anyone who has to commute far, for in-town driving, or for someone who just wants a nice economical show-piece in your driveway. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Favorite Features

The fuel economy is great and the handling on turns is a thrill.

Suggested Improvements

Make more of them.