2005 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2005 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

Sam's Mini Cooper
By Sam Mannos

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This vehicle is the best small auto I have ever owned. As soon as a 4 door model is available, we will be shopping for a second Mini Cooper for our family. This automobile is comfortable, fun to drive, very responsive and has power to spare.

Favorite Features

The performance, mileage, and body style are my favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

A factory center console should be included in the S model. A four door model needs to be made available in the USA.

Wow. I'd buy it again.
By jt

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

German engineering + classy design. My Cooper S is 600 lbs. heavier than my previous 4 door cars (Jetta, Saturn, Accord) but handles like a fighter jet. The power brings out my lead foot, which hurts gas mileage, but I squeeze 350 miles out of each tank of 93 octane (mostly highway driving on my Manhattan to Warrenvile NJ commute). I considered Hybrids, but their fuel economy evaporates on highway driving. Mini's handling and standard features make me feel safer (ABS, traction control, 6x airbags, and a really solid, heavy body.) Street parking in NYC is a dream. I paid $30,000 with all options and have no buyer's regret. Consider getting insurance on your tires / rims: run-flats are $250 each. In NYC you will get a flat. I already had one and the insurance has paid for itself.

Favorite Features

The handling is increadible. The Cooper has pep, but the S is astonishingly fast. Don't get a ticket! There's a lot of room and very comfortable for a big guy (I'm 6', 250lbs) Make no mistake- this is a 2 person car.

Suggested Improvements

The center exhaust on the Cooper S makes no place to mount a spare, like in the regular Cooper. That's too bad, because run-flats don't do too well in the snow, and are expensive ($250 each). I'd rather have a spare, but there really is no room for one unless you take up half the boot (hatchback).

Cool Ride
By romeo427

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just picked-up my '05 Mini Cooper "S." Its handling is, well, unbelievable! I am geting 27 mpg in combined driving. I have not gotten anywhere near the rated 32 mpg (automatic). This car is bigger than it looks. It is fun to drive. I was not impressed with the "go" factor in the recent east coast snow.

Favorite Features

The handling and size.

Suggested Improvements

I am not to pleased with the gas mileage.

Super Pleased
By Chris

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just picked up a slightly pre-owned 2005 Mini Cooper S. I'm here to tell you that I absolutely love it. I had a chance to sit in one of these cars at an auto show earlier this year. I never guessed to give it a try because I'm a big guy. I tell you what, I had loads of room left over. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a sports car. So don't complain about space or convenience. You don't buy this car for those things, you buy a Honsa Civic. You buy the Mini for fun and that's what it is, FUN, with a capital "F" baby. Its very quick on its feet and handles like there is no possibility of slidinig. Sure its stiff but its supposed to be, again its a Sports Car...and I am LOVING it, Giddy Up!

Favorite Features

The handling is incredible. If you love to drive go-karts, then you'll love owning a Mini because it will be like going to the go-kart trac every time you drive it. Also, the gauges are awesome. They are big and almost caricature like. They are easy to read and they drive home that race car feel!

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, I can't think of any. I love it! I noticed that some people said that the car should have more storage space or that it should be more convenient. Hello, its not that type of car. Its a sports car. Its an enthusiasts car. This is not a car meant for commuting or convenience. FUN FUN.

Only in the Summer
By KOW

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The MINI Cooper S is a great little car. It's lots of fun to drive and corners as if on rails...but only on dry roads. If the road is wet or worse (snowy) this thing is scary dangerous. The run flat tires are hard and stiff and provide scant traction. We live in the foothills outside of Denver and value our lives more than the car. Also, resale value is NOT as good as we had expected.

Favorite Features

We love the style & zip. I truly hated to part with it.

Suggested Improvements

The rear side windows should open a smidge to provide air. Pay attention to noise when sunroof is open.

2005 MINI Cooper S
By Sam Mannos

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The S Cooper is not only fun to drive, it is practicle. Everyone that sees it or has an opportunity to drive one, wants one. We are looking forward to the new Mini Cooper S models coming out. We will probably add a second one to our family next year. When they build a 4 door Cooper S, we will immediately order one.

Favorite Features

The handling.

Suggested Improvements

Build a 4 door Cooper S.

I Love My Mini
By sojurn79

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 MINI Cooper is truly a fantastic car with so many options available that you get a completely customizable ride straight from the factory. I recommend this car to anyone who has to commute far, for in-town driving, or for someone who just wants a nice economical show-piece in your driveway. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Favorite Features

The fuel economy is great and the handling on turns is a thrill.

Suggested Improvements

Make more of them.

Boxster Killer
By Da-Works

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased my Pepper White John Cooper Works MINI S last May and Iíve had a permagrin ever sense. The performance is almost scary and surprising to many who try to follow me on a back road. If you're thinking of buying a MINI, do it. It's more than just another sports car. The build quality is excellent and, so far, the reliability has been great. I bought my car with several features that the autocrosser would think of ordering. Full sunroof, upgraded seats and auto ac/heat, as well as auto headlights dimming rear view mirror, etc. Overall the added features make the car a great cruiser and weekend get-away car.

Favorite Features

The performance, unique styling, comfort, build quality and economy.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the runflat tires. They were gone for max performance summer tires within the first 50 miles.

Fun to drive, needs better build quality
By Sun195

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We've had a 5-speed MINI Cooper for about a year. It's a lot of fun to drive around town and twisty roads, but not very comfortable on long trips. The gas milage has been "ok", but not great. The build quality is seriously lacking - wheel center caps fell off, rattles all over the interior, problems getting car into reverse. If you buy one of these, make sure your dealer provides good service - our local dealer has been difficult to work with and they are only dealer in state. We had better luck driving out of state for service, which needless to say is not very convenient. I expected much better service and build quality from a subsidary of BMW.

Favorite Features

Great handling, zippy to drive, neat features, and more interior room than I expected.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seats, build quality, and dealer support.

Jasmine's mini
By Jaye

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Although it isn't a car I would drive from Washington State to California again, it is an excellent car for commuting and driving around town. So much fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, heated seats, turning radias, attention, heated wing mirrors, heated everything, auto transmission.

Suggested Improvements

I'm a big woman and would like a bigger/wider seat.