2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Sam's Mini Cooper
By Sam Mannos on 04/06/06 21:35 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This vehicle is the best small auto I have ever owned. As soon as a 4 door model is available, we will be shopping for a second Mini Cooper for our family. This automobile is comfortable, fun to drive, very responsive and has power to spare.

Wow. I'd buy it again.
By jt on 03/25/06 08:01 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

German engineering + classy design. My Cooper S is 600 lbs. heavier than my previous 4 door cars (Jetta, Saturn, Accord) but handles like a fighter jet. The power brings out my lead foot, which hurts gas mileage, but I squeeze 350 miles out of each tank of 93 octane (mostly highway driving on my Manhattan to Warrenvile NJ commute). I considered Hybrids, but their fuel economy evaporates on highway driving. Mini's handling and standard features make me feel safer (ABS, traction control, 6x airbags, and a really solid, heavy body.) Street parking in NYC is a dream. I paid $30,000 with all options and have no buyer's regret. Consider getting insurance on your tires / rims: run-flats are $250 each. In NYC you will get a flat. I already had one and the insurance has paid for itself.

Cool Ride
By romeo427 on 02/19/06 09:42 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just picked-up my '05 Mini Cooper "S." Its handling is, well, unbelievable! I am geting 27 mpg in combined driving. I have not gotten anywhere near the rated 32 mpg (automatic). This car is bigger than it looks. It is fun to drive. I was not impressed with the "go" factor in the recent east coast snow.

Super Pleased
By Chris on 02/15/06 14:37 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I just picked up a slightly pre-owned 2005 Mini Cooper S. I'm here to tell you that I absolutely love it. I had a chance to sit in one of these cars at an auto show earlier this year. I never guessed to give it a try because I'm a big guy. I tell you what, I had loads of room left over. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a sports car. So don't complain about space or convenience. You don't buy this car for those things, you buy a Honsa Civic. You buy the Mini for fun and that's what it is, FUN, with a capital "F" baby. Its very quick on its feet and handles like there is no possibility of slidinig. Sure its stiff but its supposed to be, again its a Sports Car...and I am LOVING it, Giddy Up!

Only in the Summer
By KOW on 01/30/06 20:17 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The MINI Cooper S is a great little car. It's lots of fun to drive and corners as if on rails...but only on dry roads. If the road is wet or worse (snowy) this thing is scary dangerous. The run flat tires are hard and stiff and provide scant traction. We live in the foothills outside of Denver and value our lives more than the car. Also, resale value is NOT as good as we had expected.

2005 MINI Cooper S
By Sam Mannos on 01/28/06 09:16 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The S Cooper is not only fun to drive, it is practicle. Everyone that sees it or has an opportunity to drive one, wants one. We are looking forward to the new Mini Cooper S models coming out. We will probably add a second one to our family next year. When they build a 4 door Cooper S, we will immediately order one.

I Love My Mini
By sojurn79 on 01/10/06 11:48 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 MINI Cooper is truly a fantastic car with so many options available that you get a completely customizable ride straight from the factory. I recommend this car to anyone who has to commute far, for in-town driving, or for someone who just wants a nice economical show-piece in your driveway. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Boxster Killer
By Da-Works on 01/04/06 13:09 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased my Pepper White John Cooper Works MINI S last May and I’ve had a permagrin ever sense. The performance is almost scary and surprising to many who try to follow me on a back road. If you're thinking of buying a MINI, do it. It's more than just another sports car. The build quality is excellent and, so far, the reliability has been great. I bought my car with several features that the autocrosser would think of ordering. Full sunroof, upgraded seats and auto ac/heat, as well as auto headlights dimming rear view mirror, etc. Overall the added features make the car a great cruiser and weekend get-away car.

Fun to drive, needs better build quality
By Sun195 on 12/27/05 18:10 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We've had a 5-speed MINI Cooper for about a year. It's a lot of fun to drive around town and twisty roads, but not very comfortable on long trips. The gas milage has been "ok", but not great. The build quality is seriously lacking - wheel center caps fell off, rattles all over the interior, problems getting car into reverse. If you buy one of these, make sure your dealer provides good service - our local dealer has been difficult to work with and they are only dealer in state. We had better luck driving out of state for service, which needless to say is not very convenient. I expected much better service and build quality from a subsidary of BMW.

Jasmine's mini
By Jaye on 12/03/05 02:19 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Although it isn't a car I would drive from Washington State to California again, it is an excellent car for commuting and driving around town. So much fun to drive.