Used 2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love hate relationship
By Loosenut

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The car is so much fun to drive it's addictive. It corners smoothly and accelerates well. The front seats aren't the most comfortable but are very adjustable. The biggest problem I have had is with the new gas containing ethanol. Seems the gas companies add more than the 10% they say they do and the Mini runs lousy because of it. At least that is what the dealer says. Oh yeah, and now the CD player died.

Favorite Features

Awesome handling, fun power, fun, fun, fun.

Suggested Improvements

Need to do something to allow the car to run on today's fuel. Some remapping of the ecu or something to make it run properly is needed. As it is now I'm ready to get rid of it.

The most fun car to drive
By Peeweee

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Finally kids are grown - no hockey bags to haul or kids to move to college. This little car is so road hugging and is so responsive - it is just the most fun I've had in 35 years of driving. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't stop me and ask "what is that car?" or "do you like it?" This little car gets me high fives when driving down the highway and many smiles at his license plate (PeeWeee). A great brotherhood (or sisterhood) as I get waves from other mini drivers. Often I come out of the mall or grocery store and find another mini parked right next to me. Love to surprise large men who think they will be cramped inside the car. Wonderful little car I will have for years!

Favorite Features

The six speed shift so easily and after having large cars and SUV's - I was afraid it would be a little drudge - not so...matter of fact - have to watch the speedometer as when you go to pass...you can be going faster than you think in just a fraction of a second!

Suggested Improvements

The suspension is a little rough riding but the seat fit and are well cushioned. A little worrisome about the ground clearance when pulling into or out of driveways or roads.

Smile!
By Sophie

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I am so lucky to be driving a Mini Cooper S for my first car. I bought it last June and it's never going to have another owner. Everytime I drive her, I can't help but smile. The supercharger is fun, and the handling is amazing. I learned to drive on a Buick Park Avenue, so the Mini was a dream. With the back seats down, I can fit my 152cm snowboard. Good cargo space. I autocross with my mini, and it's beyond words. Acceleration is good. The auto-manual is a great option! Also, the winter package, Harmon/Kardon sound system, and sunroof are definitely worth the extra money! The runflat tires that came with her are terrible, though. I recommend replacing them as soon as possible.

Favorite Features

Harmon/Kardon sound system, folding back seats, heated front seats, sunroof, handling, compact size, the Mini community, all of the endless options, really.

Suggested Improvements

No runflat tires! I've heard of some body problems that can happen, although it hasn't happened to me. If you drive it hard, I suggest you buy a strut and/or sway bar.

2005 Mini Cooper S
By catseye

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I sold my beloved BMW M3 to get this car, so I had high expectations for this car as a daily driver and weekend track car. I have not been disappointed. The car is solid in every way, quick, and sticks like glue. I continue to be impressed as time goes on, and understand why so many people own more than one and sell theirs to buy another one. wow! What a car.

Favorite Features

Very nimble, fairly quick, great gas mileage, solid and reliable. It is also a total hoot to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger rear sway bar, cold air induction, smaller supercharger pulley, coilover suspension, all which are available at reasonable prices.

7670226
By 7670226

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We dumped our Jetta for a Mini, and it was a great decision. It feels so exhilirating to ride. The vroom of the 1.6-liter four makes me want to go faster. The transmission, though is a different story. But there is so little body lean, it corners perfectly, why get an S model if this is enough? The rear seat is surprisingly roomy for a car this small. Most controls are simple to use. The outside is just adorable. The white goes perfectly with the black roof. Driving lamps help at night. It's sad that there isn't enough room for us and our luggage, so we can't go to Chicago with it. But it's so much fun just to drive through the city. It's so playful.

Favorite Features

Driving lamps, awesome manual tranny, cornering, tire grip, rips through the campus with the guys's jaws open, so cute, accurate speedometer, acceleration, MPG, heated seats, easy cabin access

Suggested Improvements

An extra cupholder, trunk space, wish I got the Nav system, why exactly does it need premium fuel?