Used 2005 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love after test drive
By LoveMINI

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I spent extensive time researching MINI models and years, contacting dealerships, and ended up finding the perfect MINI from a private seller down the street. I spend an extensive amount of time driving due to work and a long-distance relationship, and have never been disappointed. I am a careful driver and take good care of my car, but made the mistake of using summer performance tires throughout the Wisconsin winter...still handled fabulously! There really is nothing this little car can't do; I read through thousands of reviews before purchasing, and while the dealership inconvenience and fairly high prices for repair remain true, I have had little to no problems otherwise

Style, size, go-cart maneuverability, amazing reliability in all sorts of weather and conditions, LOVE the supercharger (although speeding tickets suggest a little less love may be appropriate)...I have put a TON of miles on it, and no decrease in quality, no problems. Fantastic MPG

Like everybody else, cupholder placement and size is a bit inconvenient. Tires are expensive and wear down quicker than I would like (my front ones lasted about 40k miles), premium gas is obnoxious, but expected, only one (but one more to come!)service center in the state, back seats are cramped

Love the Look, Spotty Reliability
By UnsureMini

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ordered our MINI back 2004 to exact specs.. We paid MSRP but we got exactly what we wanted. The MINI was nearly perfect with Free oil changes and normal maintenance until 36K. The exception of around 29K, AC unit was replaced. Around 60K the engine mounts and bushings ($700) had to be replaced and then around 100K the oxygen sensor went out with some other parts around it. MINI refused to pay even though it was a known issue ($900 we paid) Later, Clutch 114K ($1700), 114k Cylinder #1 died on the freeway ($2700.) If you keep this car over 100K, find an independent shop, the cost is half. The dealers charges $300 for an oil change, some areas $400.

The styling, the interior, no real big rattles still at 114K miles. Car still looks new, materials inside are great and solid. Really, really, really fun to drive. And of course the gas mileage - freeway 38 average.

Stiff ride, dealership's prices are laughable ($300 for an oil change? $4,000 for a clutch replacement?) Engine reliability can greatly be improved. My perfect car is a MINI with a Japanese engine.

A Nightmare from Start to Finish
By Molly B

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

One good thing about my Mini - it's sexy and fun to drive. Well, that's two good things. And that's where the happy story ends. My Mini has had engine recalls, indicator lights fall out (left and right sides), 3 windshield cracks, radiator thermometers explode (twice), random signal lights signaling (i.e. flat tire, check gas cap, service engine) for years on end ("bad computer circuitry"), oil pan leaks, emissions tubes cracked, the metal decal on my steering wheel pop up (twice. who knew that the entire steering wheel has to be replaced when that happens), vanity mirror covers fly off their hinge, battery failures, and more - but I've run out of room. In short, my Mini's been a nightmare.

It's a good looking car - too bad the performance hasn't lived up to the appeal.

How's about a car that works and doesn't cost loads of money to fix? i.e. $3K in the past 2 months to 'fix' random indicator lights saying "check gas cap" and "service engine soon" (these lights are still on after being "fixed"), full tire replacement, rear break replacement, and random car stalling

ROAD HUGGER
By HappyMINI

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven many sport cars, BMW, Porsche, Mercedez and Lexus....but this MINI is right there with them when it comes to ROAD HANDLING and CORNERING IS AWESOME!!! And not mention fuel efficiency. I get lots of smiles from my neighboor whenever I cruise. Just being lucky to have one of these. Keeping this one for long time!!!

Cornering speed upto 50mph - road hugger. EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD!

RECARO SEATS

So much fun!
By Marie

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun that you can have driving! Everytime that I get behind the wheel the Mini is ready to go. It handles beautifully, hugs the curves, and loves to accelerate up hills. With the top down and wind in my face- what could be better?

She is a convertible- say no more!

Ok, she's a bit noisy on the highways and can be a tad bumpy over railroad tracks and such but well worth the noise and bumps to enjoy the other features.