2005 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
The most fun car to drive
By Peeweee on 09/16/08 16:47 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Finally kids are grown - no hockey bags to haul or kids to move to college. This little car is so road hugging and is so responsive - it is just the most fun I've had in 35 years of driving. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't stop me and ask "what is that car?" or "do you like it?" This little car gets me high fives when driving down the highway and many smiles at his license plate (PeeWeee). A great brotherhood (or sisterhood) as I get waves from other mini drivers. Often I come out of the mall or grocery store and find another mini parked right next to me. Love to surprise large men who think they will be cramped inside the car. Wonderful little car I will have for years!

Smile!
By Sophie on 08/25/08 18:53 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I am so lucky to be driving a Mini Cooper S for my first car. I bought it last June and it's never going to have another owner. Everytime I drive her, I can't help but smile. The supercharger is fun, and the handling is amazing. I learned to drive on a Buick Park Avenue, so the Mini was a dream. With the back seats down, I can fit my 152cm snowboard. Good cargo space. I autocross with my mini, and it's beyond words. Acceleration is good. The auto-manual is a great option! Also, the winter package, Harmon/Kardon sound system, and sunroof are definitely worth the extra money! The runflat tires that came with her are terrible, though. I recommend replacing them as soon as possible.

My dream car....finally comes true
By ultrarider on 08/08/08 11:39 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

While I have not owned my used Cooper convertible very long, I've been looking for 3 years. It was babied in the first 44K miles. It's a dream to drive. 5 speed shifts like new, handles better than anything I've owned (38 cars and counting).

First of MINI
By Gretta0326 on 07/25/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. I went with the automatic but really wish I had gone with the manual S version. It handles fabulously and is a must-have if you have to park in the city.

2005 Mini Cooper S
By catseye on 07/01/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I sold my beloved BMW M3 to get this car, so I had high expectations for this car as a daily driver and weekend track car. I have not been disappointed. The car is solid in every way, quick, and sticks like glue. I continue to be impressed as time goes on, and understand why so many people own more than one and sell theirs to buy another one. wow! What a car.

7670226
By 7670226 on 06/28/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We dumped our Jetta for a Mini, and it was a great decision. It feels so exhilirating to ride. The vroom of the 1.6-liter four makes me want to go faster. The transmission, though is a different story. But there is so little body lean, it corners perfectly, why get an S model if this is enough? The rear seat is surprisingly roomy for a car this small. Most controls are simple to use. The outside is just adorable. The white goes perfectly with the black roof. Driving lamps help at night. It's sad that there isn't enough room for us and our luggage, so we can't go to Chicago with it. But it's so much fun just to drive through the city. It's so playful.

I may be small, but I am safe and solid.
By autooracle on 04/18/08 10:56 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Great car. Handles better than a 911. If that corner says 30 and you are going 60. Hold on!! Very solid. Rattles can be a bit annoying. The dealer had to intall an anti rattle kit. So-far-so-good. Get rid of the run flat tires as fast as you can wear them out. Replacing them with another brand of tire will drastically improve your ride.

Gotta love the Mini!
By bttrflyscales on 11/20/07 09:42 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car all around! This vehicle is fun to drive the style is like nothing I've ever seen and I love the fact that I can be unique with my car. I don't know any other car that matches it.

The greatest car I've ever owned
By nkasoff on 10/30/07 17:42 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my MINI convertible. I've owned all sorts of cars in the past, and nothing even comes close. I got a base model, the only option was the CVT. It's not a performance car by any means, but I didn't want that - if I did, I'd have bought the S. I don't need the speed, or the tickets.

Overall not bad
By jmargolis on 07/22/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Generally, I've been very happy with my Mini. I've had one ABS sensor go bad and my power steering hose needed replacing for a leak. There are very occasional inexplicable computer problems, as well. Overall, performance and handling are very good, though the stock run-flats on a sport suspension and springs make for a rough ride. The interior is nice (I prefer the pre-2007 interior) but a little "plasticky"; would be nice if they offered JCW leather upgrade for more than just the dash and down tubes (e.g., the door panels).