Used 2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2005 Mini S
By Mini S

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Let me first say that I love my Mini. I have never had another car that I felt this way about. I love the feel of it, the size, the leather interior, the ability to get an entire shopping cart in the back. It is fun to drive and has the power I want to get around. I have had some major mechanical problems: rear main seal replaced at 34K and now lost a valve at 39K. Seems problems that shouldn't come up at the mileage.

Favorite Features

Lots of room inside for such a small car. Love the leather interior and funability of the entire car. I simply love my Mini.

Suggested Improvements

Some major repairs that seem excessive for the mileage.

Low miles does not equal low wear.
By Rich

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, sure. Surprisingly comfortable and quiet for size. Mine has 39,000 miles on it. Paint chips everywhere, scratched glass everywhere. Tires lasted only 30k miles. Just put new ball joints on it. Mechanic surprised I don't need new gaskets and seals yet. Service is expensive. Still I enjoy it so much I will probably get another one in two years.

Favorite Features

Mine is fully loaded, love all of them.

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension, better paint and glass.

It's a Keeper
By lombardoca

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought my 2005 Cooper S used (one year old and 12,000 miles on it). Don't put a lot of miles on it, but it is driven most days. Repairs needed by 25,000-30,000 miles indicate that many of the components just aren't the sturdiest (wheels, tires, multiple oil leaks and a power steering fluid leak, suspension parts in need of replacement), but with the work done, it seems like new, and I would like to drive it forever.

Favorite Features

Ride, cornering, PARKING! From day one, I was parallel parking in spaces I would never have considered with any other car I've owned. For a tiny car, the back seat is surprisingly roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller rear-view mirror would improve forward visibility. That thing takes up a whole lot of the windshield.

Love the Look, Spotty Reliability
By UnsureMini

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ordered our MINI back 2004 to exact specs.. We paid MSRP but we got exactly what we wanted. The MINI was nearly perfect with Free oil changes and normal maintenance until 36K. The exception of around 29K, AC unit was replaced. Around 60K the engine mounts and bushings ($700) had to be replaced and then around 100K the oxygen sensor went out with some other parts around it. MINI refused to pay even though it was a known issue ($900 we paid) Later, Clutch 114K ($1700), 114k Cylinder #1 died on the freeway ($2700.) If you keep this car over 100K, find an independent shop, the cost is half. The dealers charges $300 for an oil change, some areas $400.

Favorite Features

The styling, the interior, no real big rattles still at 114K miles. Car still looks new, materials inside are great and solid. Really, really, really fun to drive. And of course the gas mileage - freeway 38 average.

Suggested Improvements

Stiff ride, dealership's prices are laughable ($300 for an oil change? $4,000 for a clutch replacement?) Engine reliability can greatly be improved. My perfect car is a MINI with a Japanese engine.

A Nightmare from Start to Finish
By Molly B

2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

One good thing about my Mini - it's sexy and fun to drive. Well, that's two good things. And that's where the happy story ends. My Mini has had engine recalls, indicator lights fall out (left and right sides), 3 windshield cracks, radiator thermometers explode (twice), random signal lights signaling (i.e. flat tire, check gas cap, service engine) for years on end ("bad computer circuitry"), oil pan leaks, emissions tubes cracked, the metal decal on my steering wheel pop up (twice. who knew that the entire steering wheel has to be replaced when that happens), vanity mirror covers fly off their hinge, battery failures, and more - but I've run out of room. In short, my Mini's been a nightmare.

Favorite Features

It's a good looking car - too bad the performance hasn't lived up to the appeal.

Suggested Improvements

How's about a car that works and doesn't cost loads of money to fix? i.e. $3K in the past 2 months to 'fix' random indicator lights saying "check gas cap" and "service engine soon" (these lights are still on after being "fixed"), full tire replacement, rear break replacement, and random car stalling