Used 2005 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

The greatest car I've ever owned
By nkasoff

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my MINI convertible. I've owned all sorts of cars in the past, and nothing even comes close. I got a base model, the only option was the CVT. It's not a performance car by any means, but I didn't want that - if I did, I'd have bought the S. I don't need the speed, or the tickets.

Favorite Features

Beautiful styling, amazing maneuverability, and it's plain cute.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, really. My only suggestion to BMW is, don't change too much in future model years. The thought of them watering down the name with the proposed "MINI SUV" disgusts me.

Love after test drive
By LoveMINI

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I spent extensive time researching MINI models and years, contacting dealerships, and ended up finding the perfect MINI from a private seller down the street. I spend an extensive amount of time driving due to work and a long-distance relationship, and have never been disappointed. I am a careful driver and take good care of my car, but made the mistake of using summer performance tires throughout the Wisconsin winter...still handled fabulously! There really is nothing this little car can't do; I read through thousands of reviews before purchasing, and while the dealership inconvenience and fairly high prices for repair remain true, I have had little to no problems otherwise

Favorite Features

Style, size, go-cart maneuverability, amazing reliability in all sorts of weather and conditions, LOVE the supercharger (although speeding tickets suggest a little less love may be appropriate)...I have put a TON of miles on it, and no decrease in quality, no problems. Fantastic MPG

Suggested Improvements

Like everybody else, cupholder placement and size is a bit inconvenient. Tires are expensive and wear down quicker than I would like (my front ones lasted about 40k miles), premium gas is obnoxious, but expected, only one (but one more to come!)service center in the state, back seats are cramped

Cute Sexy but not for everyone
By minime

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Forever contemplated getting a brand new VS. used. Found a used on Craigslist for a reasonable price so took the plunge. Mine is a decked out Mini Cooper S convertible with all the options and JCW package (except the nav system). Quick & nimble but harsh and jolting ride (17" run flats + stiff suspension = good looks+performance but uncomfortable) While no match for a hardcore RWD sports car, it has a very good vehicle dynamics characteristics for a FWD. Neutral steer with a hint of tail-out oversteering when pushed. Overly intrusive ESP (but you can turn it off). Not recommended if this is going to be your one and only car. Not many 4 seater convertible that can match fun factor as Mini Cooper

Favorite Features

I hate people saying "GO-KART handling" while they have never even been on a GO KART. GO KART is rough. Bumpy. Uncomfortable. Just like Mini Cooper S with 17" run flats and sports suspension. So in a sense, it IS like a go-kart, and that's what I like. Don't expect 3-series-like ride. Great 2nd car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything is just about perfect when it's working as it should. It has some electrical quirks, but not as deadly as sticky gas pedals. Stock rear suspension setup has too much camber (Typical BMW setup) and it'll wear out rear tires if not rotated frequently. Horrible dealer price on service.

Poor Quality
By riverbendmike

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. I have spent thousands of dollars in out of warranty repair bills. My problems have been. 1. Convertible mechanism cable replacement. 2. Oil gasket replacement. 3. Power steering failure (safety issue) 4. Trunk latch replacement. 5. Shift mechanism replacement. The car is at the dealer and the oil issue is being looked at again because I've had to add oil too often. So that may need to get done again. I'm seriously thinking of just leaving the car there. There is a reason it has go-cart handling. - It's built like a go-cart.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car.

So much fun!
By Marie

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun that you can have driving! Everytime that I get behind the wheel the Mini is ready to go. It handles beautifully, hugs the curves, and loves to accelerate up hills. With the top down and wind in my face- what could be better?

Favorite Features

She is a convertible- say no more!

Suggested Improvements

Ok, she's a bit noisy on the highways and can be a tad bumpy over railroad tracks and such but well worth the noise and bumps to enjoy the other features.