2005 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Love after test drive
By LoveMINI on 02/25/10 18:05 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I spent extensive time researching MINI models and years, contacting dealerships, and ended up finding the perfect MINI from a private seller down the street. I spend an extensive amount of time driving due to work and a long-distance relationship, and have never been disappointed. I am a careful driver and take good care of my car, but made the mistake of using summer performance tires throughout the Wisconsin winter...still handled fabulously! There really is nothing this little car can't do; I read through thousands of reviews before purchasing, and while the dealership inconvenience and fairly high prices for repair remain true, I have had little to no problems otherwise

Love the Look, Spotty Reliability
By UnsureMini on 11/23/09 13:34 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ordered our MINI back 2004 to exact specs.. We paid MSRP but we got exactly what we wanted. The MINI was nearly perfect with Free oil changes and normal maintenance until 36K. The exception of around 29K, AC unit was replaced. Around 60K the engine mounts and bushings ($700) had to be replaced and then around 100K the oxygen sensor went out with some other parts around it. MINI refused to pay even though it was a known issue ($900 we paid) Later, Clutch 114K ($1700), 114k Cylinder #1 died on the freeway ($2700.) If you keep this car over 100K, find an independent shop, the cost is half. The dealers charges $300 for an oil change, some areas $400.

A Nightmare from Start to Finish
By Molly B on 11/17/09 12:19 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

One good thing about my Mini - it's sexy and fun to drive. Well, that's two good things. And that's where the happy story ends. My Mini has had engine recalls, indicator lights fall out (left and right sides), 3 windshield cracks, radiator thermometers explode (twice), random signal lights signaling (i.e. flat tire, check gas cap, service engine) for years on end ("bad computer circuitry"), oil pan leaks, emissions tubes cracked, the metal decal on my steering wheel pop up (twice. who knew that the entire steering wheel has to be replaced when that happens), vanity mirror covers fly off their hinge, battery failures, and more - but I've run out of room. In short, my Mini's been a nightmare.

ROAD HUGGER
By HappyMINI on 08/20/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven many sport cars, BMW, Porsche, Mercedez and Lexus....but this MINI is right there with them when it comes to ROAD HANDLING and CORNERING IS AWESOME!!! And not mention fuel efficiency. I get lots of smiles from my neighboor whenever I cruise. Just being lucky to have one of these. Keeping this one for long time!!!

So much fun!
By Marie on 08/12/09 15:24 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun that you can have driving! Everytime that I get behind the wheel the Mini is ready to go. It handles beautifully, hugs the curves, and loves to accelerate up hills. With the top down and wind in my face- what could be better?

I am going to miss my MINI !!!!
By Happy MiniOwner on 07/24/09 06:06 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my MINI since it was a pup, straight from it's mother teat! But after 4 years, it's time to get an automatic since the wife can't drive a stick. This has been one of my favorite cars I have owned, being in my forties, that's been a lot. It is a blast to drive. I agree the seats could be a little more comfortable, but they're not that bad. The cup holder situation is bad, very bad. Mechanically, I have only had an O2 sensor fail. and those ridiculously expensive tires were replaced too early with normal high performance tires (it is also a weird size had to special order them). The passenger seat has stopped reclining. I will miss waving at other MINI owners and being in the family.

Needs better quality control
By big john on 07/15/09 14:40 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

04/20/2006 Passenger door reflector fell off, passenger seat spring loose, clock runs very fast (new speedometer assy. required to repair) 06/29/2006 Passenger seat airbag sensor not properly installed 09/17/2006 Driver window would not operate 05/17/2007 SES light. Replaced oxygen sensor 01/23/2008 Replaced heater thermostat housing. Front tires needed replacement at 26,000 miles 06/09/2008 Replaced ignition switch & control unit for electronic drive away protection 07/15/2008 Replaced power steering fan and grille

Fun, Fast, And Darn good looking
By 2008GLI on 06/17/09 12:32 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love the s-model, ive owned it a year and have never had any problems, it is good on gas, quick in traffic, i always get compliments on it, but the interior design stinks, seating is not to comftorable, but overall this car is very quick from point a-b, and it has been very reliable, services are pricey though, If your looking for a small hatchback thats quick and good looking get the Mini cooper, another Good one is a 2006+ Gti, looks better, alot smoother and interior design is way better, not to mention its good on gas and very comfy, but overall mini is king.

It's a love/hate relationship
By bebonic84 on 11/10/08 18:42 PM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Since I bought the car in Nov I've had to make the trip to the dealer four times. They had to replace the hood latch, headlights, seatbelt and power steering pump. When the power steering pump started to go it made this tremendously loud noise. So loud I'd have to turn off my car in the bank drive thru. It's on its way into the shop this week actually to have the front end looked at. The tires were so incredibly expensive that I had to go out and buy run of the mill tires just to make it through this winter.

Love hate relationship
By Loosenut on 10/30/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The car is so much fun to drive it's addictive. It corners smoothly and accelerates well. The front seats aren't the most comfortable but are very adjustable. The biggest problem I have had is with the new gas containing ethanol. Seems the gas companies add more than the 10% they say they do and the Mini runs lousy because of it. At least that is what the dealer says. Oh yeah, and now the CD player died.