Used 2005 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2005 Mini S
By Mini S

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Let me first say that I love my Mini. I have never had another car that I felt this way about. I love the feel of it, the size, the leather interior, the ability to get an entire shopping cart in the back. It is fun to drive and has the power I want to get around. I have had some major mechanical problems: rear main seal replaced at 34K and now lost a valve at 39K. Seems problems that shouldn't come up at the mileage.

Favorite Features

Lots of room inside for such a small car. Love the leather interior and funability of the entire car. I simply love my Mini.

Suggested Improvements

Some major repairs that seem excessive for the mileage.

Low miles does not equal low wear.
By Rich

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, sure. Surprisingly comfortable and quiet for size. Mine has 39,000 miles on it. Paint chips everywhere, scratched glass everywhere. Tires lasted only 30k miles. Just put new ball joints on it. Mechanic surprised I don't need new gaskets and seals yet. Service is expensive. Still I enjoy it so much I will probably get another one in two years.

Favorite Features

Mine is fully loaded, love all of them.

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension, better paint and glass.

It's a Keeper
By lombardoca

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought my 2005 Cooper S used (one year old and 12,000 miles on it). Don't put a lot of miles on it, but it is driven most days. Repairs needed by 25,000-30,000 miles indicate that many of the components just aren't the sturdiest (wheels, tires, multiple oil leaks and a power steering fluid leak, suspension parts in need of replacement), but with the work done, it seems like new, and I would like to drive it forever.

Favorite Features

Ride, cornering, PARKING! From day one, I was parallel parking in spaces I would never have considered with any other car I've owned. For a tiny car, the back seat is surprisingly roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller rear-view mirror would improve forward visibility. That thing takes up a whole lot of the windshield.

Cute Sexy but not for everyone
By minime

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Forever contemplated getting a brand new VS. used. Found a used on Craigslist for a reasonable price so took the plunge. Mine is a decked out Mini Cooper S convertible with all the options and JCW package (except the nav system). Quick & nimble but harsh and jolting ride (17" run flats + stiff suspension = good looks+performance but uncomfortable) While no match for a hardcore RWD sports car, it has a very good vehicle dynamics characteristics for a FWD. Neutral steer with a hint of tail-out oversteering when pushed. Overly intrusive ESP (but you can turn it off). Not recommended if this is going to be your one and only car. Not many 4 seater convertible that can match fun factor as Mini Cooper

Favorite Features

I hate people saying "GO-KART handling" while they have never even been on a GO KART. GO KART is rough. Bumpy. Uncomfortable. Just like Mini Cooper S with 17" run flats and sports suspension. So in a sense, it IS like a go-kart, and that's what I like. Don't expect 3-series-like ride. Great 2nd car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything is just about perfect when it's working as it should. It has some electrical quirks, but not as deadly as sticky gas pedals. Stock rear suspension setup has too much camber (Typical BMW setup) and it'll wear out rear tires if not rotated frequently. Horrible dealer price on service.

Poor Quality
By riverbendmike

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. I have spent thousands of dollars in out of warranty repair bills. My problems have been. 1. Convertible mechanism cable replacement. 2. Oil gasket replacement. 3. Power steering failure (safety issue) 4. Trunk latch replacement. 5. Shift mechanism replacement. The car is at the dealer and the oil issue is being looked at again because I've had to add oil too often. So that may need to get done again. I'm seriously thinking of just leaving the car there. There is a reason it has go-cart handling. - It's built like a go-cart.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car.