Used 2005 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Dream car turned into nightmare car.
By Vanessa Nobrega

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Growing up I'd always dreamed of owning a mini cooper, and last April, that dream became true when I purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S. The Carfax report looked good and there were no issues with it. I bought it with 75,000 miles on it, and within the past year, I have put thousands into fixing things. My tachometer stopped work, my break lights would stay on when the car was off, I had to replace the alternator, the pulley system, serpentine belt, and alternator clip. Luckily, the dealer I bought it from is a family owned and willing to help anyone out, and took it right off my hands this past weekend. I would never buy a used Mini again, because all of the problems came out of nowhere, and my Local Mini Dealership did not have any clue how to fix most of the problems. After replacing the body control module, my tach still does not work, and when it is dark out, I can't see how fast I am going as the lighting is out. Luckily I only have a couple of days left with my ex-dream car. LESSON LEARNED!!

Cute Sexy but not for everyone
By minime

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Forever contemplated getting a brand new VS. used. Found a used on Craigslist for a reasonable price so took the plunge. Mine is a decked out Mini Cooper S convertible with all the options and JCW package (except the nav system). Quick & nimble but harsh and jolting ride (17" run flats + stiff suspension = good looks+performance but uncomfortable) While no match for a hardcore RWD sports car, it has a very good vehicle dynamics characteristics for a FWD. Neutral steer with a hint of tail-out oversteering when pushed. Overly intrusive ESP (but you can turn it off). Not recommended if this is going to be your one and only car. Not many 4 seater convertible that can match fun factor as Mini Cooper

I hate people saying "GO-KART handling" while they have never even been on a GO KART. GO KART is rough. Bumpy. Uncomfortable. Just like Mini Cooper S with 17" run flats and sports suspension. So in a sense, it IS like a go-kart, and that's what I like. Don't expect 3-series-like ride. Great 2nd car.

Everything is just about perfect when it's working as it should. It has some electrical quirks, but not as deadly as sticky gas pedals. Stock rear suspension setup has too much camber (Typical BMW setup) and it'll wear out rear tires if not rotated frequently. Horrible dealer price on service.

Poor Quality
By riverbendmike

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. I have spent thousands of dollars in out of warranty repair bills. My problems have been. 1. Convertible mechanism cable replacement. 2. Oil gasket replacement. 3. Power steering failure (safety issue) 4. Trunk latch replacement. 5. Shift mechanism replacement. The car is at the dealer and the oil issue is being looked at again because I've had to add oil too often. So that may need to get done again. I'm seriously thinking of just leaving the car there. There is a reason it has go-cart handling. - It's built like a go-cart.

Build a better car.

Love after test drive
By LoveMINI

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I spent extensive time researching MINI models and years, contacting dealerships, and ended up finding the perfect MINI from a private seller down the street. I spend an extensive amount of time driving due to work and a long-distance relationship, and have never been disappointed. I am a careful driver and take good care of my car, but made the mistake of using summer performance tires throughout the Wisconsin winter...still handled fabulously! There really is nothing this little car can't do; I read through thousands of reviews before purchasing, and while the dealership inconvenience and fairly high prices for repair remain true, I have had little to no problems otherwise

Style, size, go-cart maneuverability, amazing reliability in all sorts of weather and conditions, LOVE the supercharger (although speeding tickets suggest a little less love may be appropriate)...I have put a TON of miles on it, and no decrease in quality, no problems. Fantastic MPG

Like everybody else, cupholder placement and size is a bit inconvenient. Tires are expensive and wear down quicker than I would like (my front ones lasted about 40k miles), premium gas is obnoxious, but expected, only one (but one more to come!)service center in the state, back seats are cramped

So much fun!
By Marie

2005 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun that you can have driving! Everytime that I get behind the wheel the Mini is ready to go. It handles beautifully, hugs the curves, and loves to accelerate up hills. With the top down and wind in my face- what could be better?

She is a convertible- say no more!

Ok, she's a bit noisy on the highways and can be a tad bumpy over railroad tracks and such but well worth the noise and bumps to enjoy the other features.