Used 2005 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 258 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2005 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

A colossal piece of Euro garbage!!!!
By Michael Street

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The only positives are, they're cute to look at. They get good mileage per gallon. If you can ever keep them running they are fun to drive.
Everything beyond those points is negative.
After 50-60 K miles, they are junk. The parts are incredibly high priced and it's difficult to find anyone who will work on them! Most mechanics make it very clear, I hate working on Mini's of any kind, any year, etc!!!
I spent a fortune on this poorly designed, poor running, undependable, rattling ,shaking, rarely working piece of junk!! Mini/BMW should be embarrassed to have created, designed and manufactured these rolling disasters.
The engine is weak. The transmissions are terrible! Both Auto and manual. They are going to fail!! It's only a matter of when and where!!!
I will never, ever consider another Mini/BMW product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dream car turned into nightmare car.
By Vanessa Nobrega

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Growing up I'd always dreamed of owning a mini cooper, and last April, that dream became true when I purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S. The Carfax report looked good and there were no issues with it. I bought it with 75,000 miles on it, and within the past year, I have put thousands into fixing things. My tachometer stopped work, my break lights would stay on when the car was off, I had to replace the alternator, the pulley system, serpentine belt, and alternator clip. Luckily, the dealer I bought it from is a family owned and willing to help anyone out, and took it right off my hands this past weekend. I would never buy a used Mini again, because all of the problems came out of nowhere, and my Local Mini Dealership did not have any clue how to fix most of the problems. After replacing the body control module, my tach still does not work, and when it is dark out, I can't see how fast I am going as the lighting is out. Luckily I only have a couple of days left with my ex-dream car. LESSON LEARNED!!

i luv my mini*
By mini-bmw

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

i bought my mini s when he was 5 years old w/65k on him. no problems w/ole mini, 10k miles & 8 months later. we seem thirstier than usual in regards to drinking oil & water-no leaks found. the mini people are more expensive than others, but it's German. the BMW feel is felt throughout- quality, handling, throttle, & performance overall. its true w/the German autos; the harder you drive em, the better they perform. the kick down is nice-no problems passing others. holds the road well, rain or shine. i've had none of the issues others have mentioned. i dont think the mini was meant for stop & go traffic, it likes to run the roads. unlike others, i keep up on my maintenance. more than oil changes.

ELECTRIC BLUE paint color. better mileage than epa estimates & I'm sure i drive more aggressive than most. excellent 3 mode transmission. great traction control, almost too good. wonderful cornering abilities. the sound of the supercharger when really being spun. impressive braking from 80. road hold.

when in manual shift mode, dont let the computer up shift when nearing red line. work on the cup holder situation. delete the "leatherette" option & the dash top vent. improve cabin sound isolation. add a volt & boost gauge to the chrono pkg.

Cute Car, Expensive up keep
By redthirteen

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love the look of the Mini. I love driving the mini it actually makes driving in traffic fun. But once you have to fix something on your mini, it can be very expensive. Once your car is out of warranty, Mini USA refuses to take any responsibility for their cars. They will not fix even a manufacturers defect, and cover themselves by saying it is out of the 3 year warranty. They are cute cars but are not made to last.

The exterior look, how it drives and the speed.

Mini USA needs to back up their cars and take responsibility for making mistakes. I have had the worst customer service with every mini employee I have worked with.

Paper Weight
By opusiam

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Perhaps, the 2nd worst vehicle I have ever owned. Too many warranty fixes from one previous owner and myself to list but include everything from water leaks to fluid leaks to repeat seat cover replacements, front seat replacement, loss of compression, etc. Compared to my previous vehicle, a Miata, it shifts like a truck. Handling is no where close to the Miata's. It would make a cute 3000 lb. paperweight.

It's "cute."

Prototypical German car-if you get a good one they can be terrific, unless of course it's a BMW 7 series or an Audi 6 or a V.W. Over-hyped with a host of reliability issues. Suggestion: put a Japanese or Ford engine in the thing with a Miata transmission.