2005 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
i luv my mini*
By mini-bmw on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

i bought my mini s when he was 5 years old w/65k on him. no problems w/ole mini, 10k miles & 8 months later. we seem thirstier than usual in regards to drinking oil & water-no leaks found. the mini people are more expensive than others, but it's German. the BMW feel is felt throughout- quality, handling, throttle, & performance overall. its true w/the German autos; the harder you drive em, the better they perform. the kick down is nice-no problems passing others. holds the road well, rain or shine. i've had none of the issues others have mentioned. i dont think the mini was meant for stop & go traffic, it likes to run the roads. unlike others, i keep up on my maintenance. more than oil changes.

Cute Car, Expensive up keep
By redthirteen on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love the look of the Mini. I love driving the mini it actually makes driving in traffic fun. But once you have to fix something on your mini, it can be very expensive. Once your car is out of warranty, Mini USA refuses to take any responsibility for their cars. They will not fix even a manufacturers defect, and cover themselves by saying it is out of the 3 year warranty. They are cute cars but are not made to last.

Paper Weight
By opusiam on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Perhaps, the 2nd worst vehicle I have ever owned. Too many warranty fixes from one previous owner and myself to list but include everything from water leaks to fluid leaks to repeat seat cover replacements, front seat replacement, loss of compression, etc. Compared to my previous vehicle, a Miata, it shifts like a truck. Handling is no where close to the Miata's. It would make a cute 3000 lb. paperweight.

Auto transmission
By Ron on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a gem when we first got it however in year 4 at 30,000 km the ac went and recently the CVT has developed a clunk when cold and put into drive. Have just sold it as the transmission is poor and have no intention of putting another 7k into the dealers pocket.

Fun to drive when I can
By JaeC on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

First off, this is a very fun car to drive. The wheels always sticks to the road and the supercharger helps with instant push on road. BMW has done a great job putting the car together but also failed horribly on some parts. German engineering is seen and felt every where, for better or for worse. (See 'Suggested Improvements')

2005 Mini S
By Mini S on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Let me first say that I love my Mini. I have never had another car that I felt this way about. I love the feel of it, the size, the leather interior, the ability to get an entire shopping cart in the back. It is fun to drive and has the power I want to get around. I have had some major mechanical problems: rear main seal replaced at 34K and now lost a valve at 39K. Seems problems that shouldn't come up at the mileage.

Low miles does not equal low wear.
By Rich on 07/27/10 22:29 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, sure. Surprisingly comfortable and quiet for size. Mine has 39,000 miles on it. Paint chips everywhere, scratched glass everywhere. Tires lasted only 30k miles. Just put new ball joints on it. Mechanic surprised I don't need new gaskets and seals yet. Service is expensive. Still I enjoy it so much I will probably get another one in two years.

It's a Keeper
By lombardoca on 07/06/10 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought my 2005 Cooper S used (one year old and 12,000 miles on it). Don't put a lot of miles on it, but it is driven most days. Repairs needed by 25,000-30,000 miles indicate that many of the components just aren't the sturdiest (wheels, tires, multiple oil leaks and a power steering fluid leak, suspension parts in need of replacement), but with the work done, it seems like new, and I would like to drive it forever.

Cute Sexy but not for everyone
By minime on 06/15/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Forever contemplated getting a brand new VS. used. Found a used on Craigslist for a reasonable price so took the plunge. Mine is a decked out Mini Cooper S convertible with all the options and JCW package (except the nav system). Quick & nimble but harsh and jolting ride (17" run flats + stiff suspension = good looks+performance but uncomfortable) While no match for a hardcore RWD sports car, it has a very good vehicle dynamics characteristics for a FWD. Neutral steer with a hint of tail-out oversteering when pushed. Overly intrusive ESP (but you can turn it off). Not recommended if this is going to be your one and only car. Not many 4 seater convertible that can match fun factor as Mini Cooper

Poor Quality
By riverbendmike on 03/19/10 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. I have spent thousands of dollars in out of warranty repair bills. My problems have been. 1. Convertible mechanism cable replacement. 2. Oil gasket replacement. 3. Power steering failure (safety issue) 4. Trunk latch replacement. 5. Shift mechanism replacement. The car is at the dealer and the oil issue is being looked at again because I've had to add oil too often. So that may need to get done again. I'm seriously thinking of just leaving the car there. There is a reason it has go-cart handling. - It's built like a go-cart.