2004 MINI Cooper 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Good little car

2004 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Good little car
By BD on

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Mini with CVT. It has enough power for San Francisco conditions. It will easily do high speeds on the freeway. My car was jerky with the CVT at first, but a change in the chip due to California emissions stopped it. The sun visors are worthless, too short when put to the side and block too much vision straight ahead. The Harmon Kardon stereo is sometimes distorted and not worth the money. I have had no problems with the sunroof yet, the mesh filter seems ok in the hot sun. My car hasn't been back to the dealer for any problems except the rear hatch is hard to close tight. It is hard to get appointments at some dealers, others are better. I did not notice any major build defects when my car was new.

Favorite Features

Build quality was excellent. Good handling.

Suggested Improvements

It needs better sunvisors. The CVT transmission is a different driving feel. It did jerk when new, but it doesn't jerk now. There is still a lag and no instant throttle response. A non-supercharged engine should be certified to run on regular fuel instead of premium. The interior should have more little item storage areas standard.