Used 2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2004 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Tranny Problems?
By J-man shipes

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Mini cooper is very fun car to drive. Great on gas, fast, and is very easy to get around in. It is a tight ride in the seats, so it's not the funnest to drive for long periods of time. NOW! The downfall. Mini cooper has had problems with the junk transmissions they put into the coopers. Despite being built by BMW, it is not a BMW tranny in the car. My car has 67000 mile on it and the transmission is acting up in it, the cost to fix it? Try $6000, since mini does not sell parts to fix the bad trannies. Other than that, it's a very cool car to drive until you get to high miles on the car and it will cost you.

Favorite Features

Go-kart like to drive, Flashy exterior, Unique, Great on gas

Suggested Improvements

Put a reliable transmission in the car, and it would be unbeatable.

MONEY PIT! DON'T BUY!
By Chris P

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 mini cooper in the summer of 2008 used. I am the second owner. It is a blast to drive and gets tons of curb appeal. However, it is a complete piece of garbage. Literally over night about a month ago...the engine started to sound like a blender. After going to 2 mechanics to get opinions...I need a new transmission!...which baffles me since it is manual and i drive very carefully. Many other small problems, such as pwr windows breaking, airbag sensor light turning on, squeaky brakes, terrible to drive when A/C is on. It is SOOO expensive to maintain. I am currently looking to trade it in before problems get worse. Complete garbage. Dont waste your money.

Favorite Features

Attention getter. Great handling. Leather seats smell soooo good. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Quality. Price and availability of parts.

Fun Fun Fun !
By Steve Mowle

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned 22 cars over the years, many with performance in mind, including Mustang, Camaro, HSV V8'8, BMW coupe etc, but nothing beats the Mini Cooper S for the sheer fun factor of driving! Have a go!

Favorite Features

Handling; cornering speed; 6 speed 'box is tops; supercharger rush as revs get up.

Suggested Improvements

Front bumper bar / spoiler sits a little too low, tending to bottom out & scrape often.

Don't buy a mini with a CVT!!!!
By Cindy

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had my heart set on a mini, and I wanted an automatic, so I purchased a used 04 mini CVT 38k,mile. The day after purchase , it would red line at 15 mph. I took it to the local mini dealership, and they told me that it was normal, that I probably was not driving it aggressively enough. So then it stalled on me at a red light, and they said this was normal, still not driving it aggressively enough. After this happening probably 9-11 times in the 6 weeks I had it, I sold it. I would have to drive it around the parking lot for about 20 min. to get it to get back to its normal self. Some people say that theirs goes out completely. I am lucky I got rid of mine while I could! DON'T BUY MINI

Favorite Features

The look and style.

Suggested Improvements

Make it a reliable car.

Super Car
By stan

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought it off ebay in 1/08. I really like the feel the car it is solid. I have had 4 people in it back seats are ok. It is a gocart I driver a nice curving road to work OH MY what fun. Fuel MPG I get 31.6/32.3 most of the time. I hope I never have to sell it to pay the place off.

Favorite Features

Looks, the way it takes turns, gas MPG. Very safe car has 6 airbags

Suggested Improvements

wings that pop out for speeds over 110