Used 2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2004 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

What to DRIVE
By MiniCooperJD

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

If you like to DRIVE, then the Mini Cooper is your car! This is not the sort of car that likes to be driven along in a slow and boring fashion! Live it up! The car is SPUNKY, FUN, COLORFUL, and most of all it has a PERSONALITY. How many new cars can boast that? My reliability has been good, build quality is good, though you can certainly tell it is not a Honda. Now, I will let you all be the judge of whether that is a good or bad thing. The interior cupholders are a joke, but other than that, I have NO complaints.

Favorite Features

color, style, looks, performance, handling

Suggested Improvements

cupholders, build quality

2004 Mini Cooper S
By Karmays

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Within 11 months we have had the window motor replaced, the drivers side door mechanism replaced and a speaker replaced. Also, had a run flat tire replaced at 340.00. It's cute and fun to drive, but there are some quality issues.

Suggested Improvements

More attention to exterior integrity.

Expensive to own!
By carrieb

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is a really fun car to drive but very expensive to own. Have owned less than two years and have had one thing after another malfunction. Fragile and only the dealer seems to know how to repair. Hit a pothole and had to replace the tire and rim for $1000! Considering selling and buying something more reliable.

Favorite Features

Zippy to drive, bonnet stripes, cute to look at

Suggested Improvements

Bigger cupholders, easier way to hook up ipod, smoother ride

The Best of Times & Worst of Times
By drea111

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was a Mini Cooper Fan-Fantastic. every time, I saw another Mini Cooper driver I would wave emphatically or nod knowingly. Not so ecstatic now. After only 15,000 miles my 04 Certified Pre-Owned Mini Cooper S w/extended warranty fell-to-pieces. Here is the quick math (approx. miles): 38,700 miles Bought a Certified Pre-Owned Mini w/ extended warranty-April 08 38,708 miles Returned car because the rear bumper was two-toned-April 08 46,629 miles The crankshaft pulley, bolt, tensioner were repaired-Jan. 09 53,000 miles The Clutch, tire arms, tire bolts, tires…all need repairs-Oct. 09 The "True Cost of owning this Mini is just starting @ $6,600. Read the forums & know before you buy.

Favorite Features

I have a 6 speed manual transmission that is great to drive and handles well when cornering. Driving a Mini gives you a sense of esprit de corp and euphoria. It is pure fun and makes you laugh.

Suggested Improvements

Investigate, redesign & please fix the recurring clutch/transmission problem.

repairs, repairs, repairs
By terrie

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love my mini, I hate the repair costs. It was great until Dec. when I ended up spending $4000.00 in repairs. The single largest expense was the clutch flywheel. I have it repaired at an independent shop where I purchased the car or it would have been twice as expensive. I called the dealer to compare prices. I was able to get 286,000 mi.on my last clutch so I do know how to drive a car without abusing a clutch. This car has been a delight to own otherwise. I have been tempted to sell, but I love driving it. I keep hoping each repair is the last. Let's hope it is. I do agree each time I take it in, just to get oil changed, it cost about $1000.00.

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

interior amenities, though may have happened since 2004