Used 2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2004 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

A Year with a Mini
By Christie FIsher

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fun car to drive. People see me on the road and smile. It is extremely stable and handles well. Because it is a "driving machine" the ride is a bit rough. The main problem I have had is that it shifts quite roughly. Sometimes I have to try many times to get into reverse. I have asked the dealer about this and have been told I do not know what I am talking about. The rubber gasket around the top of the windshield has come apart three times now. The cruise control is not very good. When I set the cruise control, it lunges and usually slows down a few mph from where I set it.

Favorite Features

heat and air system handling many safety features that helped the insurance rate tires that don't go flat

Suggested Improvements

have a cover rather than a screen on the sunroof to keep the sun out in the heat of the day improve the cruise control put the gas gauge in front of the driver

The best car I've ever owned
By Stroudnyrfan

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini Cooper is by far the best car I've ever owned. It is a great deal of fun to drive, handles extremely well and is suprisingly comfortable even on long trips. Very fuel efficient too, a big plus with gas prices rising daily! I highly recommend this car!

Favorite Features

The best feature is the unique body styling.

love my mini
By Hollyct

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to go zipping around in. comfortable on long trips, and good on gas. Makes us pack lighter since not much trunk room. Xenon Headlights work great! Can see all around you! Will never buy another car without heated seats now that I have them.People seem to always smile when they see you coming, less road rage for sure! Teenagers don't mind being seen with Mom in this car! Looking for second MINI

Favorite Features

heated seats and optional headlights. friendly drivers and safe feeling when in this car. So glad we bought a mini.

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders and more storage compartments. back windows should open. nicer salespeople who aren't so snobby!

Interior Ergonomics Need Work
By babelfish

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The car looks cool on the outside but it needs some help with the interior finish. The sunroof rattles. My dealer pretends the problem does not exist. The biggest pain is the placement of the foot pedals. Every time you use the clutch, your left foot smacks against the door of the fuse box. It makes a resounding smack and is quite annoying. The interior styling is nice, but the color choices are limited. For example, a tan interior looks good with British Racing Green paint. However, they charge $1300 more for that! Otherwise your choices are limited to black with silver plastic, or black with grey plastic.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature: the exterior styling. What a cool looking car. It is fun to drive, and the motor seems very well designed.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the lame sunroof. Fix the stupid fuse box door. Give customers more interior color choices.

Fun on Mountain Roads
By Aimless

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive. We live in the Colorao Mountains and it handles the hills and curves quickly and with stable steering. Nothing like blowing by everyone as you head up the pass on I-70. I will admit it is a bit like riding a rollercoaster when we get more than 6 inches of snow. But hey, on those days we just use the SUV. We have had this car since 2002 and people still point and stare as I zip by. It really is the most fun I have had driving, including several more expensive luxury sporsters. When we first got it we were afraid that it would not be comfortable for long trips. I have driven it on several 6 hour trips and it has been great.

Favorite Features

The big sun roof and the racing stripe paint job. The interior climate control works great.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to see a convertable.