2004 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
DONT BUY A MINI!
By Ali T on 01/04/10 12:48 PM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this mini just over 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems! Got it from a local deal with a 3 month warrenty, kept having to take it back and now have a constant reoccuring problem that no local garage can find let alone sort!!! Warrenty has run out now the costs keep rolling in!!!

Yippee
By Eagles on 11/20/09 09:32 AM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a cooper S in October of 09. I have always wanted a mini since the age of 16. Now at the age of 46 it was well worth the wait. I have had no bad experiences with this car. It is as fun to drive as it looks. I was hesitant to purchase after reading all the negative reviews. To compensate for unwarranted repairs, I purchased a 2 year extended warranty. I would strongly recommend this car for the person who loves having fun and enjoying life.

Midlife Crisis Car
By Downtown111 on 10/24/09 11:32 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the 09 MINIs the first time my wife and I drove a brand new 08 in the Spring of 09. But I was reluctant to spend the 28K on the sticker. Then I found an 04 with 50K miles for half that and thought it would be a good way to see if we really wanted one. This car has exceeded every expectation we had for fun, economy and attention-getting. We occasionally read about CVT issues for this year, but after 6 months of daily commutes of 70 miles we still love this reliable, trouble-free sports car. Just put snow tires on for our winter commuting. My wife thinks it is a sensible choice for a mid-life crisis vehicle, and nothing we have ever owned is this much fun to drive!

Back to the Shop Again
By BarbAnn50 on 10/19/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission died on this car with only 54K miles on it. Had a rebuilt installed (these do not come cheap) and less than a year later, having problems again. I'm so incredibly disappointed; I'll never buy another one.

The Best of Times & Worst of Times
By drea111 on 10/18/09 12:14 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was a Mini Cooper Fan-Fantastic. every time, I saw another Mini Cooper driver I would wave emphatically or nod knowingly. Not so ecstatic now. After only 15,000 miles my 04 Certified Pre-Owned Mini Cooper S w/extended warranty fell-to-pieces. Here is the quick math (approx. miles): 38,700 miles Bought a Certified Pre-Owned Mini w/ extended warranty-April 08 38,708 miles Returned car because the rear bumper was two-toned-April 08 46,629 miles The crankshaft pulley, bolt, tensioner were repaired-Jan. 09 53,000 miles The Clutch, tire arms, tire bolts, tiresÂ…all need repairs-Oct. 09 The "True Cost of owning this Mini is just starting @ $6,600. Read the forums & know before you buy.

Tranny Problems?
By J-man shipes on 09/14/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Mini cooper is very fun car to drive. Great on gas, fast, and is very easy to get around in. It is a tight ride in the seats, so it's not the funnest to drive for long periods of time. NOW! The downfall. Mini cooper has had problems with the junk transmissions they put into the coopers. Despite being built by BMW, it is not a BMW tranny in the car. My car has 67000 mile on it and the transmission is acting up in it, the cost to fix it? Try $6000, since mini does not sell parts to fix the bad trannies. Other than that, it's a very cool car to drive until you get to high miles on the car and it will cost you.

MONEY PIT! DON'T BUY!
By Chris P on 07/11/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 mini cooper in the summer of 2008 used. I am the second owner. It is a blast to drive and gets tons of curb appeal. However, it is a complete piece of garbage. Literally over night about a month ago...the engine started to sound like a blender. After going to 2 mechanics to get opinions...I need a new transmission!...which baffles me since it is manual and i drive very carefully. Many other small problems, such as pwr windows breaking, airbag sensor light turning on, squeaky brakes, terrible to drive when A/C is on. It is SOOO expensive to maintain. I am currently looking to trade it in before problems get worse. Complete garbage. Dont waste your money.

Fun Fun Fun !
By Steve Mowle on 06/22/09 04:15 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned 22 cars over the years, many with performance in mind, including Mustang, Camaro, HSV V8'8, BMW coupe etc, but nothing beats the Mini Cooper S for the sheer fun factor of driving! Have a go!

Don't buy a mini with a CVT!!!!
By Cindy on 06/08/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had my heart set on a mini, and I wanted an automatic, so I purchased a used 04 mini CVT 38k,mile. The day after purchase , it would red line at 15 mph. I took it to the local mini dealership, and they told me that it was normal, that I probably was not driving it aggressively enough. So then it stalled on me at a red light, and they said this was normal, still not driving it aggressively enough. After this happening probably 9-11 times in the 6 weeks I had it, I sold it. I would have to drive it around the parking lot for about 20 min. to get it to get back to its normal self. Some people say that theirs goes out completely. I am lucky I got rid of mine while I could! DON'T BUY MINI

Super Car
By stan on 02/26/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought it off ebay in 1/08. I really like the feel the car it is solid. I have had 4 people in it back seats are ok. It is a gocart I driver a nice curving road to work OH MY what fun. Fuel MPG I get 31.6/32.3 most of the time. I hope I never have to sell it to pay the place off.