2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
A great car if you have a spare one and money
By hankmanz on 08/29/12 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It holds the road like it was glued to it and it is easy to drive, but after that it is all bad. I have lost track of the repairs it has needed. Three transmissions and four clutches with the first transmission and clutch at 10K so it isn't the driver. The front air dam falls off it you even touch a curb. The leather seats are falling apart. Heat and AC haven't worked in two years. The third stop light leaks and goes bad every couple of years. The muffler failed at 21K. The key doesn't work if you are more than ten feet from the car. I would never buy another even though the repair record on the newer models looks a lot better than the one for 2004.

Best car ever!
By ksunshine11 on 04/12/12 09:08 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 base cooper with 90,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier! Getting 36-38 mpg average, and I don't drive like a grandma! I did my research beforehand, learned cvt transmissions and standard automatic transmissions have major problems, but standard manual is fine. Also the supercharged have water pump and cooling system issues, they do have 60 more horsepower (but only .2 sec faster than base, wth?) Repair cost are about the same as any other car, just dont take it to the dealer! But DO stay on top of maintenence. Go for the base manual, you won't be disappointed!

Mini USA's little ATM machine!
By Honda owner now on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

With 60k miles on it CVT transmission failed on the freeway at rush hour, they tried to charge me $10k to replace it, talked em down to $3k but still then the fuel gauge, again, leaving me stranded on the freeway $1200, then the power steering $1000, then the mysterious $1200 thermostat repair that took them over a week to diagnose, apparently I hit a pot hole on the way home from the dealership (I have no memory of hitting anything) but the next day all the radiator fluid was on the ground so back she went to where they set me back another $2200 for a new radiator. I'm not even listing the numerous repairs that cost under $500 that I had to do, all for a car with less than 85k miles.

Mini Review
By RaquelleS on 04/27/10 08:38 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have absolutely loved being a Mini owner. I got the car with 39k i think and now I am at over 90k and haven't had any real problems out of it. I really wish that it was easier to work on. Im a 24 yr and am not made of money to go to the dealer every time I need to change the oil. I haven't had any tranny problems like all the other comments, but Im guessing that theirs is automatics.

My Mini
By JoBob on 03/21/10 05:55 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

If you lease this car it's great! I bought it, and I keep buying it every time I go in for the scheduled service. I am going to miss this car after I trade it in. The money it costs to run it is 10 times the amount you will save in gas costs. Also you need to pack a lunch to drive to the very rare and exclusive mini service dealerships.After you get there eat that lunch you packed while you wait for hours to find out that there is more than just an oil change. Have a strong heart for the bill you get. I know for a fact I could have been driving a Lincoln cheaper than this. If you have lots of money and time to blow, buy this car!

Yippee
By Eagles on 11/20/09 09:32 AM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a cooper S in October of 09. I have always wanted a mini since the age of 16. Now at the age of 46 it was well worth the wait. I have had no bad experiences with this car. It is as fun to drive as it looks. I was hesitant to purchase after reading all the negative reviews. To compensate for unwarranted repairs, I purchased a 2 year extended warranty. I would strongly recommend this car for the person who loves having fun and enjoying life.

Midlife Crisis Car
By Downtown111 on 10/24/09 11:32 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the 09 MINIs the first time my wife and I drove a brand new 08 in the Spring of 09. But I was reluctant to spend the 28K on the sticker. Then I found an 04 with 50K miles for half that and thought it would be a good way to see if we really wanted one. This car has exceeded every expectation we had for fun, economy and attention-getting. We occasionally read about CVT issues for this year, but after 6 months of daily commutes of 70 miles we still love this reliable, trouble-free sports car. Just put snow tires on for our winter commuting. My wife thinks it is a sensible choice for a mid-life crisis vehicle, and nothing we have ever owned is this much fun to drive!

Back to the Shop Again
By BarbAnn50 on 10/19/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission died on this car with only 54K miles on it. Had a rebuilt installed (these do not come cheap) and less than a year later, having problems again. I'm so incredibly disappointed; I'll never buy another one.

Tranny Problems?
By J-man shipes on 09/14/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Mini cooper is very fun car to drive. Great on gas, fast, and is very easy to get around in. It is a tight ride in the seats, so it's not the funnest to drive for long periods of time. NOW! The downfall. Mini cooper has had problems with the junk transmissions they put into the coopers. Despite being built by BMW, it is not a BMW tranny in the car. My car has 67000 mile on it and the transmission is acting up in it, the cost to fix it? Try $6000, since mini does not sell parts to fix the bad trannies. Other than that, it's a very cool car to drive until you get to high miles on the car and it will cost you.

MONEY PIT! DON'T BUY!
By Chris P on 07/11/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 mini cooper in the summer of 2008 used. I am the second owner. It is a blast to drive and gets tons of curb appeal. However, it is a complete piece of garbage. Literally over night about a month ago...the engine started to sound like a blender. After going to 2 mechanics to get opinions...I need a new transmission!...which baffles me since it is manual and i drive very carefully. Many other small problems, such as pwr windows breaking, airbag sensor light turning on, squeaky brakes, terrible to drive when A/C is on. It is SOOO expensive to maintain. I am currently looking to trade it in before problems get worse. Complete garbage. Dont waste your money.