Used 2004 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My "Lil Blue"
By Kramer

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a Mini for three years, and after much research and patience I finally bought one! I cannot say enough amazing things about this car, but first what I learned from reviews was DON'T BUY AN AUTOMATIC. They have major problems. (I only buy stick anyways) And the "S" model may be faster but seems to have more issues. So I bought the good ol' regular Coop. I just bought it with 99,000 miles and it drives and rides like it's brand new! It's it so fun to drive, ever night after I get off work I find myself aimlessly driving around because it's so fun to drive. The big mph gauge in the middle is awesome, and everything has a round and sophisticated feel to it. The clutch is so smooth. It handles like a dream. The seats HUG my back, even my dad was really impressed with the car. (And he's owned over 50 cars) He owns a Mercedes convertible which is fun to drive, but I have to say I enjoy driving this more! The second I test drove it I knew that was it. The car just feels like one with you. I will keep this car going for as long as possible unless I get a newer one. You are missing out if you don't have one! Just do the maintenance yourself and you'll be fine.

A great car if you have a spare one and money
By hankmanz

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It holds the road like it was glued to it and it is easy to drive, but after that it is all bad.
I have lost track of the repairs it has needed.
Three transmissions and four clutches with the first transmission and clutch at 10K so it isn't the driver.
The front air dam falls off it you even touch a curb.
The leather seats are falling apart.
Heat and AC haven't worked in two years.
The third stop light leaks and goes bad every couple of years.
The muffler failed at 21K. The key doesn't work if you are more than ten feet from the car.
I would never buy another even though the repair record on the newer models looks a lot better than the one for 2004.

Holds the road. Handling is terrific. Acceleration is fine. Braking is fine. Seats are comfortable, but the stitching ripped out and now they are pretty much gone. The seat warmers are nice, especially since the main heater has been out for two years because nobody can figure out what is wrong with it.

There is so much it needs like a decent drivetrain. Get a key that can transmit farther than ten feet. Put locks on ALL the doors, not just the driver side. Put in decent seats. Put in speakers for the radio that don't fail in two years. Put in some decent cupholders and door pockets that actually hold things. Fix the cigarette lighter receptacle so American plugs fit it. Install bigger mirrors.

Best car ever!
By ksunshine11

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 base cooper with 90,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier! Getting 36-38 mpg average, and I don't drive like a grandma! I did my research beforehand, learned cvt transmissions and standard automatic transmissions have major problems, but standard manual is fine. Also the supercharged have water pump and cooling system issues, they do have 60 more horsepower (but only .2 sec faster than base, wth?) Repair cost are about the same as any other car, just dont take it to the dealer! But DO stay on top of maintenence. Go for the base manual, you won't be disappointed!

Eveything. It's fun, sport, fuel efficient, and classy.

Mini USA's little ATM machine!
By Honda owner now

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

With 60k miles on it CVT transmission failed on the freeway at rush hour, they tried to charge me $10k to replace it, talked em down to $3k but still then the fuel gauge, again, leaving me stranded on the freeway $1200, then the power steering $1000, then the mysterious $1200 thermostat repair that took them over a week to diagnose, apparently I hit a pot hole on the way home from the dealership (I have no memory of hitting anything) but the next day all the radiator fluid was on the ground so back she went to where they set me back another $2200 for a new radiator. I'm not even listing the numerous repairs that cost under $500 that I had to do, all for a car with less than 85k miles.

None. I have never had such anxiety over a car in my life. I researched and read all the reviews but I guess I've learned to never buy a car within the first few years of production and never to trust BMW/Mini. I hate that they made so much money off of me with their defective car.

Take responsibility for the numerous well documented design flaws that have cost your FORMER customers thousands of dollars and compromised our safety. Recall the transmission, power steering, and fuel gauge. I traded it in for a Honda last week, I'll never trust BMW again.

Mini Review
By RaquelleS

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have absolutely loved being a Mini owner. I got the car with 39k i think and now I am at over 90k and haven't had any real problems out of it. I really wish that it was easier to work on. Im a 24 yr and am not made of money to go to the dealer every time I need to change the oil. I haven't had any tranny problems like all the other comments, but Im guessing that theirs is automatics.

I recommend Minis, great gas mileage, handles extremely well around curves, and suites my personality very well. My onboard computer system!

I wish that the air vents were in different places...it sure does keep my steering wheel cool or warm, but not me.