Used 2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

'04 Mini Cooper S, The Best!
By soldier73

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought it with 128K miles 5 months ago as a comuter car, I drive 100 miles round trip daily to and from work in Germany. I beat this car up, over 100 mph on the autobahn all of the time and it hasn't missed a beat yet and I've put over 11K miles on it. Ok, I've had to add oil here and there, but that's true with many turbo/super charged car.I'm a little bigger than the average guy, 6'2" but to my surprise the car is just right. I've even made trips with my family, wife and two boys 10 and 11 y/o in it and haven't had any issues with space. I've owned multiple BMWs, to include the E46 M3 and this car is on par with the best of them with better fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, build quality, handling, performance.

A great car if you have a spare one and money
By hankmanz

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It holds the road like it was glued to it and it is easy to drive, but after that it is all bad. I have lost track of the repairs it has needed. Three transmissions and four clutches with the first transmission and clutch at 10K so it isn't the driver. The front air dam falls off it you even touch a curb. The leather seats are falling apart. Heat and AC haven't worked in two years. The third stop light leaks and goes bad every couple of years. The muffler failed at 21K. The key doesn't work if you are more than ten feet from the car. I would never buy another even though the repair record on the newer models looks a lot better than the one for 2004.

Favorite Features

Holds the road. Handling is terrific. Acceleration is fine. Braking is fine. Seats are comfortable, but the stitching ripped out and now they are pretty much gone. The seat warmers are nice, especially since the main heater has been out for two years because nobody can figure out what is wrong with it.

Suggested Improvements

There is so much it needs like a decent drivetrain. Get a key that can transmit farther than ten feet. Put locks on ALL the doors, not just the driver side. Put in decent seats. Put in speakers for the radio that don't fail in two years. Put in some decent cupholders and door pockets that actually hold things. Fix the cigarette lighter receptacle so American plugs fit it. Install bigger mirrors.

Best car ever!
By ksunshine11

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 base cooper with 90,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier! Getting 36-38 mpg average, and I don't drive like a grandma! I did my research beforehand, learned cvt transmissions and standard automatic transmissions have major problems, but standard manual is fine. Also the supercharged have water pump and cooling system issues, they do have 60 more horsepower (but only .2 sec faster than base, wth?) Repair cost are about the same as any other car, just dont take it to the dealer! But DO stay on top of maintenence. Go for the base manual, you won't be disappointed!

Favorite Features

Eveything. It's fun, sport, fuel efficient, and classy.

My Favorite Little Red Car
By bveracka7

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a blast to drive. The first thing people notice is how roomy the interior is for a car that is so small. I love the size, it is just right for me. The Mini S gives you the best of both worlds; it's speedy as heck and rides like a European sportscar but doesn't waste too much fuel. I get an average of 35mpg, but you get a lot less if you drive fast. Main things I like are the interior set-up; the dash is beautifully shaped and covered with nice material that's easy to keep clean. I like how the switches & controls are centralized around the console and steering wheel. The interior is not small compared with the outside, and it gives you that feeling of being safe that only a European car gives. When you drive the Mini, you won't feel like you're in a claustrophobic box but rather a pretty comfy sportscar! I've used it to commute 35 miles each way Monday thru Friday for the past 3 months with no complaints or problems. I found mine at a repo-auction where I got a great price on it, although it had 103K miles, it was a clean Florida car with no issues and a pretty reasonable price for me. I will be investing in a different set of wheels and tires for the winter though, as the 17-inch custom wheels & tires don't like snow at all and I can't drive in the heavy snow. I have been told by a fellow Mini owner that with the right tires and wheels, the car will deal with the snow much better.

Favorite Features

This car gives you a great feeling of truly driving the car especially with it's beautiful 6-Speed manual transmission. The Mini S makes you feel like a real driver. This transmission is set-up just right to accomodate the different driving styles and situations you will encounter on the road. Comfortable and stylish interior is something I've always been serious about, after-all that's where you sit. The Mini's INTERIOR is very comfortable, especially considering how small the car is. The first thing people mention when they get in it is how roomy the interior feels. The seats feel like they belong in a much bigger car, as they're very big and comfy. Although the back-seats have been called a joke by many, they are fine for short rides and my buddies gladly hop in the back. Fold the seats down and there's plenty of space for my music amplifier and instruments. EXTERIOR - I really like the way this car looks. Every little detail makes it look great, including the double sun-roof, functional rally lights, hood-scoop, and so much more! Little things like fast heat even when it's really cold, the windshield-wiper & washing fluid system is great, it's nice to have a rear wiper with a fluid-sprayer too. Another final and big selling point is the great gas mileage you get with this car. Of course because it's supercharged it doesn't get the same mileage as the regular model but 35mpg is great for a car that drives like this! If you have been thinking about buying a Mini, now is the time to do it!

Suggested Improvements

There are not many things that I can say that the British Motor Company could've done better with this car. They really covered all their bases here for what they were trying to do. Although the "trunk" is really small compared to a regular trunk, the fold-down seats help if you have a lot of luggage. As I try to think of ways to improve the Mini S, it becomes obvious that the BMC already thought of these things. This is a truly awesome little car and I have no complaints with it whatsoever. It is the first really cool car I've ever owned so I guess I can't compare years of having other nice cars to it, but I know a good car when I drive one, especially now that I've owned it for a while. Any shortfalls with this car are made-up for with this car's base concept of a fun, upgraded and modernized re-issue of an old classic. In many ways, this car just can't be beat if you want to have an exciting, fun, stylish, and economical car.

Mini USA's little ATM machine!
By Honda owner now

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

With 60k miles on it CVT transmission failed on the freeway at rush hour, they tried to charge me $10k to replace it, talked em down to $3k but still then the fuel gauge, again, leaving me stranded on the freeway $1200, then the power steering $1000, then the mysterious $1200 thermostat repair that took them over a week to diagnose, apparently I hit a pot hole on the way home from the dealership (I have no memory of hitting anything) but the next day all the radiator fluid was on the ground so back she went to where they set me back another $2200 for a new radiator. I'm not even listing the numerous repairs that cost under $500 that I had to do, all for a car with less than 85k miles.

Favorite Features

None. I have never had such anxiety over a car in my life. I researched and read all the reviews but I guess I've learned to never buy a car within the first few years of production and never to trust BMW/Mini. I hate that they made so much money off of me with their defective car.

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for the numerous well documented design flaws that have cost your FORMER customers thousands of dollars and compromised our safety. Recall the transmission, power steering, and fuel gauge. I traded it in for a Honda last week, I'll never trust BMW again.