Used 2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 364 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My "Lil Blue"
By Kramer

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a Mini for three years, and after much research and patience I finally bought one! I cannot say enough amazing things about this car, but first what I learned from reviews was DON'T BUY AN AUTOMATIC. They have major problems. (I only buy stick anyways) And the "S" model may be faster but seems to have more issues. So I bought the good ol' regular Coop. I just bought it with 99,000 miles and it drives and rides like it's brand new! It's it so fun to drive, ever night after I get off work I find myself aimlessly driving around because it's so fun to drive. The big mph gauge in the middle is awesome, and everything has a round and sophisticated feel to it. The clutch is so smooth. It handles like a dream. The seats HUG my back, even my dad was really impressed with the car. (And he's owned over 50 cars) He owns a Mercedes convertible which is fun to drive, but I have to say I enjoy driving this more! The second I test drove it I knew that was it. The car just feels like one with you. I will keep this car going for as long as possible unless I get a newer one. You are missing out if you don't have one! Just do the maintenance yourself and you'll be fine.

'04 Mini Cooper S, The Best!
By soldier73

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought it with 128K miles 5 months ago as a comuter car, I drive 100 miles round trip daily to and from work in Germany.
I beat this car up, over 100 mph on the autobahn all of the time and it hasn't missed a beat yet and I've put over 11K miles on it. Ok, I've had to add oil here and there, but that's true with many turbo/super charged car.I'm a little bigger than the average guy, 6'2" but to my surprise the car is just right. I've even made trips with my family, wife and two boys 10 and 11 y/o in it and haven't had any issues with space.
I've owned multiple BMWs, to include the E46 M3 and this car is on par with the best of them with better fuel economy.

Fuel economy, build quality, handling, performance.

A great car if you have a spare one and money
By hankmanz

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It holds the road like it was glued to it and it is easy to drive, but after that it is all bad.
I have lost track of the repairs it has needed.
Three transmissions and four clutches with the first transmission and clutch at 10K so it isn't the driver.
The front air dam falls off it you even touch a curb.
The leather seats are falling apart.
Heat and AC haven't worked in two years.
The third stop light leaks and goes bad every couple of years.
The muffler failed at 21K. The key doesn't work if you are more than ten feet from the car.
I would never buy another even though the repair record on the newer models looks a lot better than the one for 2004.

Holds the road. Handling is terrific. Acceleration is fine. Braking is fine. Seats are comfortable, but the stitching ripped out and now they are pretty much gone. The seat warmers are nice, especially since the main heater has been out for two years because nobody can figure out what is wrong with it.

There is so much it needs like a decent drivetrain. Get a key that can transmit farther than ten feet. Put locks on ALL the doors, not just the driver side. Put in decent seats. Put in speakers for the radio that don't fail in two years. Put in some decent cupholders and door pockets that actually hold things. Fix the cigarette lighter receptacle so American plugs fit it. Install bigger mirrors.

Best car ever!
By ksunshine11

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 base cooper with 90,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier! Getting 36-38 mpg average, and I don't drive like a grandma! I did my research beforehand, learned cvt transmissions and standard automatic transmissions have major problems, but standard manual is fine. Also the supercharged have water pump and cooling system issues, they do have 60 more horsepower (but only .2 sec faster than base, wth?) Repair cost are about the same as any other car, just dont take it to the dealer! But DO stay on top of maintenence. Go for the base manual, you won't be disappointed!

Eveything. It's fun, sport, fuel efficient, and classy.

My Favorite Little Red Car
By bveracka7

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a blast to drive. The first thing people notice is how roomy the interior is for a car that is so small. I love the size, it is just right for me. The Mini S gives you the best of both worlds; it's speedy as heck and rides like a European sportscar but doesn't waste too much fuel. I get an average of 35mpg, but you get a lot less if you drive fast. Main things I like are the interior set-up; the dash is beautifully shaped and covered with nice material that's easy to keep clean. I like how the switches & controls are centralized around the console and steering wheel. The interior is not small compared with the outside, and it gives you that feeling of being safe that only a European car gives. When you drive the Mini, you won't feel like you're in a claustrophobic box but rather a pretty comfy sportscar! I've used it to commute 35 miles each way Monday thru Friday for the past 3 months with no complaints or problems. I found mine at a repo-auction where I got a great price on it, although it had 103K miles, it was a clean Florida car with no issues and a pretty reasonable price for me. I will be investing in a different set of wheels and tires for the winter though, as the 17-inch custom wheels & tires don't like snow at all and I can't drive in the heavy snow. I have been told by a fellow Mini owner that with the right tires and wheels, the car will deal with the snow much better.

This car gives you a great feeling of truly driving the car especially with it's beautiful 6-Speed manual transmission. The Mini S makes you feel like a real driver. This transmission is set-up just right to accomodate the different driving styles and situations you will encounter on the road. Comfortable and stylish interior is something I've always been serious about, after-all that's where you sit. The Mini's INTERIOR is very comfortable, especially considering how small the car is. The first thing people mention when they get in it is how roomy the interior feels. The seats feel like they belong in a much bigger car, as they're very big and comfy. Although the back-seats have been called a joke by many, they are fine for short rides and my buddies gladly hop in the back. Fold the seats down and there's plenty of space for my music amplifier and instruments. EXTERIOR - I really like the way this car looks. Every little detail makes it look great, including the double sun-roof, functional rally lights, hood-scoop, and so much more! Little things like fast heat even when it's really cold, the windshield-wiper & washing fluid system is great, it's nice to have a rear wiper with a fluid-sprayer too. Another final and big selling point is the great gas mileage you get with this car. Of course because it's supercharged it doesn't get the same mileage as the regular model but 35mpg is great for a car that drives like this! If you have been thinking about buying a Mini, now is the time to do it!

There are not many things that I can say that the British Motor Company could've done better with this car. They really covered all their bases here for what they were trying to do. Although the "trunk" is really small compared to a regular trunk, the fold-down seats help if you have a lot of luggage. As I try to think of ways to improve the Mini S, it becomes obvious that the BMC already thought of these things. This is a truly awesome little car and I have no complaints with it whatsoever. It is the first really cool car I've ever owned so I guess I can't compare years of having other nice cars to it, but I know a good car when I drive one, especially now that I've owned it for a while. Any shortfalls with this car are made-up for with this car's base concept of a fun, upgraded and modernized re-issue of an old classic. In many ways, this car just can't be beat if you want to have an exciting, fun, stylish, and economical car.