2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
'04 Mini Cooper S, The Best!
By soldier73 on 03/03/13 06:50 AM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought it with 128K miles 5 months ago as a comuter car, I drive 100 miles round trip daily to and from work in Germany. I beat this car up, over 100 mph on the autobahn all of the time and it hasn't missed a beat yet and I've put over 11K miles on it. Ok, I've had to add oil here and there, but that's true with many turbo/super charged car.I'm a little bigger than the average guy, 6'2" but to my surprise the car is just right. I've even made trips with my family, wife and two boys 10 and 11 y/o in it and haven't had any issues with space. I've owned multiple BMWs, to include the E46 M3 and this car is on par with the best of them with better fuel economy.

A great car if you have a spare one and money
By hankmanz on 08/29/12 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It holds the road like it was glued to it and it is easy to drive, but after that it is all bad. I have lost track of the repairs it has needed. Three transmissions and four clutches with the first transmission and clutch at 10K so it isn't the driver. The front air dam falls off it you even touch a curb. The leather seats are falling apart. Heat and AC haven't worked in two years. The third stop light leaks and goes bad every couple of years. The muffler failed at 21K. The key doesn't work if you are more than ten feet from the car. I would never buy another even though the repair record on the newer models looks a lot better than the one for 2004.

Best car ever!
By ksunshine11 on 04/12/12 09:08 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 base cooper with 90,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier! Getting 36-38 mpg average, and I don't drive like a grandma! I did my research beforehand, learned cvt transmissions and standard automatic transmissions have major problems, but standard manual is fine. Also the supercharged have water pump and cooling system issues, they do have 60 more horsepower (but only .2 sec faster than base, wth?) Repair cost are about the same as any other car, just dont take it to the dealer! But DO stay on top of maintenence. Go for the base manual, you won't be disappointed!

My Favorite Little Red Car
By bveracka7 on 01/06/11 05:45 AM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a blast to drive. The first thing people notice is how roomy the interior is for a car that is so small. I love the size, it is just right for me. The Mini S gives you the best of both worlds; it's speedy as heck and rides like a European sportscar but doesn't waste too much fuel. I get an average of 35mpg, but you get a lot less if you drive fast. Main things I like are the interior set-up; the dash is beautifully shaped and covered with nice material that's easy to keep clean. I like how the switches & controls are centralized around the console and steering wheel. The interior is not small compared with the outside, and it gives you that feeling of being safe that only a European car gives. When you drive the Mini, you won't feel like you're in a claustrophobic box but rather a pretty comfy sportscar! I've used it to commute 35 miles each way Monday thru Friday for the past 3 months with no complaints or problems. I found mine at a repo-auction where I got a great price on it, although it had 103K miles, it was a clean Florida car with no issues and a pretty reasonable price for me. I will be investing in a different set of wheels and tires for the winter though, as the 17-inch custom wheels & tires don't like snow at all and I can't drive in the heavy snow. I have been told by a fellow Mini owner that with the right tires and wheels, the car will deal with the snow much better.

Mini USA's little ATM machine!
By Honda owner now on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

With 60k miles on it CVT transmission failed on the freeway at rush hour, they tried to charge me $10k to replace it, talked em down to $3k but still then the fuel gauge, again, leaving me stranded on the freeway $1200, then the power steering $1000, then the mysterious $1200 thermostat repair that took them over a week to diagnose, apparently I hit a pot hole on the way home from the dealership (I have no memory of hitting anything) but the next day all the radiator fluid was on the ground so back she went to where they set me back another $2200 for a new radiator. I'm not even listing the numerous repairs that cost under $500 that I had to do, all for a car with less than 85k miles.

Best car all around
By spencer wiley on 07/25/10 09:41 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My MINI is the best car I have ever had. I have the John Cooper Works model with work done making 249 hp. Besides the incredible power everything else about this car is spot on. For the money the interior is GREAT quality and flashy. Nothing is broken or falling off. I get 40 mpg highway with the work done and all. With 47k miles and the only problem was a leak in the slave cylinder. All in all the most fun car in the world. It is cheap, economical, high quality, fast, great handling, attractive, and always puts a smile on your face

repairs, repairs, repairs
By terrie on 06/23/10 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love my mini, I hate the repair costs. It was great until Dec. when I ended up spending $4000.00 in repairs. The single largest expense was the clutch flywheel. I have it repaired at an independent shop where I purchased the car or it would have been twice as expensive. I called the dealer to compare prices. I was able to get 286,000 mi.on my last clutch so I do know how to drive a car without abusing a clutch. This car has been a delight to own otherwise. I have been tempted to sell, but I love driving it. I keep hoping each repair is the last. Let's hope it is. I do agree each time I take it in, just to get oil changed, it cost about $1000.00.

Mini Review
By RaquelleS on 04/27/10 08:38 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have absolutely loved being a Mini owner. I got the car with 39k i think and now I am at over 90k and haven't had any real problems out of it. I really wish that it was easier to work on. Im a 24 yr and am not made of money to go to the dealer every time I need to change the oil. I haven't had any tranny problems like all the other comments, but Im guessing that theirs is automatics.

My Mini
By JoBob on 03/21/10 05:55 AM (PDT)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

If you lease this car it's great! I bought it, and I keep buying it every time I go in for the scheduled service. I am going to miss this car after I trade it in. The money it costs to run it is 10 times the amount you will save in gas costs. Also you need to pack a lunch to drive to the very rare and exclusive mini service dealerships.After you get there eat that lunch you packed while you wait for hours to find out that there is more than just an oil change. Have a strong heart for the bill you get. I know for a fact I could have been driving a Lincoln cheaper than this. If you have lots of money and time to blow, buy this car!

Great Car
By billdcat on 01/25/10 05:02 AM (PST)

2004 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

2004 Cooper S with 124000+ Miles. Only problem encountered was the stock tires. The car is used for work commute of 100 miles round trip per day in Mighigan. In rain and snow, stock tires did not hack it. The dealer has been great. The only maintenance so far has been service periods which for me clock in at about 23000 miles.