2003 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Miss it, but GLAD it's gone!

2003 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

2003 MINI Cooper

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Miss it, but GLAD it's gone!
By zmr359 on

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cooper used w/ 68,000 miles.
W/in 4 months this happened: First the key fob quit locking/unlocking door & would instead spontaneously open all the windows. Then the driver's side door handle quit working so I had to roll window down to get out, until window quit too, then I had to crawl out passenger side. Electrical issues caused all windows + sunroof to open when it rained which ruined the cloth seats. Then it started running out of gas before it was on E. Doors locked shut once so my bf had to crawl out window & I had go out trunk so I could roll window up. Then the tranny quit! $5k for a rebuilt! So then I had to give car back to bank 6 months after I got it.

It was really cute on the outside, and would fit in any parking spot. It was also very fun to drive and got great gas mileage! Even though it took premium gas, it got very good gas mileage so it worked out.

Where I live it was hard to find an oil change clinic that seemed like they really knew how to service a MINI cooper. I loved the open glass top of the roof, but it seemed like it made the car so hot it would take quite a while to cool down. Tint on the side windows might have helped that. Cups in the cup holder would block the little toggle switches, but I didn't really mind. Apparantly the trannys are known for problems which I wish I wold have researched, as I am still in school & now have no car since I cant afford 5000 to fix that! Then when you replace the transmission how do you know you're not putting the same problematic tranny back into it? Who can afford taking that chance?

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review