2003 MINI Cooper 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Nice drivability but Horrible Reliability

2003 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Nice drivability but Horrible Reliability
By caroleza27 on

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I have had nothing but problems since I purchased this car used less than a year ago. When I got it I seemed to be in ok condition even after 2 previous owners and 140k. Starting in the 2nd month o ownership I began having to replace things--each time a cost of $500-$600 mainly due to the high price of the parts. Every time I fix something, I have another problem. I am looking to get rid of the car as soon as I can because I cannot afford to keep fixing it nor can I spend all of my time at the shop. Great car in its younger years--definitely not a primary vehicle or one that will hold up over the years.

Favorite Features

I love hownthe car drives and how you feel connected to the ground. Other small cars feel like the wind can knock them over--not a MINI. Still feels spacious even as its so small.

Suggested Improvements

Everything is in mini form--cup holder included. Also, the windshield is shaped in such a way that when you pull up to a traffic light you often cannot see the light without craning your neck--I am only 5'5"... MINIs have a recall on the power steering pump--mine went out just 4k over the 150k limit and the dealer wouldn't budge to help me cover the cost--$1200. I hope later models do not have this same tendency or if they do, BMW needs to correct it. MINI makes shiny, cute cars but shorts the consumer in ways you don't find out until later. Not an everyday, primary car though the company promotes it as so.