2003 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Nice drivability but Horrible Reliability
By caroleza27 on 03/29/14 07:33 AM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I have had nothing but problems since I purchased this car used less than a year ago. When I got it I seemed to be in ok condition even after 2 previous owners and 140k. Starting in the 2nd month o ownership I began having to replace things--each time a cost of $500-$600 mainly due to the high price of the parts. Every time I fix something, I have another problem. I am looking to get rid of the car as soon as I can because I cannot afford to keep fixing it nor can I spend all of my time at the shop. Great car in its younger years--definitely not a primary vehicle or one that will hold up over the years.

Cute on the Outside, Scarey Under the Hood
By ddealminana on 05/26/12 09:17 AM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was given this car in 2004 as a gift from my parents. I could not have been happier. After having it for over eight years now, I am ready to drive it into the Hudson. This car has been nothing but one major problem after another. The first year I got it I was on the highway and the car just stopped switching gears above third gear. Luckily that was covered under warranty. Since, I have had the air conditioning go out twice, the power steering go out, windows stopped, door locks stopped, numerous overheating episodes, etc. My poor father has spent numerous hours and dollars repairing this thing. Thank goodness I have him though, because I would have spent several thousands by now

Miss it, but GLAD it's gone!
By zmr359 on 08/02/11 13:24 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cooper used w/ 68,000 miles. W/in 4 months this happened: First the key fob quit locking/unlocking door & would instead spontaneously open all the windows. Then the driver's side door handle quit working so I had to roll window down to get out, until window quit too, then I had to crawl out passenger side. Electrical issues caused all windows + sunroof to open when it rained which ruined the cloth seats. Then it started running out of gas before it was on E. Doors locked shut once so my bf had to crawl out window & I had go out trunk so I could roll window up. Then the tranny quit! $5k for a rebuilt! So then I had to give car back to bank 6 months after I got it.

Won't drive anything but a Mini
By jbmsgg2010 on 01/02/11 22:11 PM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Mini new in 2003. There have been a few issues with squeeks and rattles, but the dealership has remedied them all. I rated the comfort at 4 only because the Sport Suspension is a bit stiff, with the run flat tires, but it is NOT a complaint. The design is rated at 4 only because of the cup holders. I drove my car everyday, 70 miles round-trip to work, on wet and icy roads. The front-wheel drive is amazing! I'm getting ready to sell my baby for a new one -- 2011 Mini Countryman. Can't wait!!

Cons outweigh the Pros
By MIssMyVW on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2007 and I didn't even get 5000 miles on it before the clutch went out on it the first time. Six months after that replacement, I had to have it back in the shop because the clutch pedal had a master/slave issue and I had to have the cylinders replaced. Then, just this past week, after approximately 21 months and 9,000 more miles on the car, I had to have the clutch replaced again. Seriously, while the car looks really cool and is sometimes fun to drive, it is *not* worth all the extra money it will cost you for ownership. I can't wait to pay this thing off and go back to driving a VW again.

Super Fun But Also Expensive to Own
By Vespa2t on 08/19/10 05:54 AM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After owning a MINI S for 2.5 years and 15,000 miles I can say this is the most fun car I have ever had. However, it has been the most troublesome car for me to date as well with $2000 in repairs, and that is parts only because I can repair it myself. Now, this is a car that was owned by the lead MINI tech at the dealership for its first 70,000 miles and maintained religiously since new. And now it has rust, yes rust on a 7 year old car. There are two big holes in the sheet metal just below the taillights. Keep in mind when buying one that you are buying a BMW product and thus comes with BMW prices for parts and service.

Worst car ever built
By notaminifan on 02/06/10 22:59 PM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I see them everywhere,so you estimate reliability as possibly "how bad could it be". I didn't do my research. 58,000 miles- almost no bearings left around the input shaft of the transmission- I only got 8000 miles out of it since I bought it used. It is a manual. Found it cause bleeding oil into the clutch and slipping. After reading about the problems, I want to drive it thru the showroom glass at the Mini dealership just to help the people with these problems with a national news story. This car is disgrace to BMW and to all German cars. Think they improved? Research "death knock". I would trade it for a Ford Pinto. A bicycle is worth more.

I <3 my Mini
By Michela8090 on 07/05/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My mini is my first car, i bought it myself and absolutely love it!!! My mom has one also and we both couldn't be happier with there performances. My mini was built with the sports package and its the best, the seats are so comfortable and the steering quality is excellent. The Mini Cooper is a great car for people of all ages and heights, even my 6 foot 4'' Grandpa fits in it with ease. Great over all car!!!

Long Time Owner - Still Happy
By Dwayne Hayes on 05/11/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I use this as my daily commuter, year-round in Chicago winter driving with a 20+ mile commute on local roads (lots of stop-and-go). Other than a few interior squeaks from the dash, I have little complaint. I can't find another economy car that can be equipped as nicely and handle solid on slippery roads and high winds. When it comes to running errands, city driving/parking (even grocery runs) for 6 years we always gravitate to the Mini. Only major repair: I had the fuel injector replaced at 70K. Drawbacks are that it's a high-strung breed - higher revs, noisier on the highways and a bouncy ride on rough roads. Be prepared if you're a big coffee drinker -- you will need a good, no-spill mug

Think twice-Novelty wears off quick
By Peter Rorie on 04/22/09 17:06 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a medical rep. that drives 70 miles a day of hard driving. I've put 10,000 miles and 3,000.00 bucs into the car!--all new brakes,fan assembly, electric windows,clutch, ect,ect. It's cool for the first month, then guess what? It's just another gutless little car. Resale is still good-(x car salesman). For a toy, it's great. If your gonna make it your work car--buy something else.--If I had it to do again, I'd of bought a clean used BMW 325. I paid 14k a year ago for it--I'll get 9500- in trade for it next month-(already had a quote)- make sure you love em' if you make the purchase--your gonna spend a little $ on it. (Also, MAKE SURE there's a dealer close by) You'll be appreciated.