2002 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Stay Away!

2002 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Stay Away!
By jennyj on

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the previous owner who babied the car and had virtually no mileage. I argued with my family and friends that if I had to drive a "fuel economy" car it would at least not be generic, so I bought the Mini. To say I have been let down with this car and BMW's backing of this car would be the understatement of the millennium! The transmission went at 42,000 miles and the wanted 7,500 to replace it, even though there were hundreds of similar complaints of faulty tranny's, BMW simply turned its head! Next were the window motors, the end caps of the rain gutters, the exhaust (at over a grand), the power steering pump, and more! This car is the biggest pile of garbage around!

It is fun to drive (when it's running) but that is quickly overshadowed by its poor reliability. BMW should have spent more time mechanically engineering their car instead of spending more on advertising and getting them out to the public before they were ready. It is a mechanical nightmare.

BMW should simply give this car company back to the English because they haven't improved it at mechanically, and that is sad! It actually slid backwards down a hill in the winter through a traffic light! Do not buy this car despite its fun and cute appearance, it is an absolute pile of garbage.