2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
You need one of these!
By laclede on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It's a MINI. It's a blast. Let's Motor!

Gotta Love It!
By bigblockrumble on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had this car for 15 months and still love it! It is a real kick to drive and corners like a go-kart. Suspension is stiff, but expected in a car that corners like it is on rails. I traded in a Porsche Boxster for this and have never regretted it. Not as refined, but just as tight and really more fun to drive hard. If you try it, you'll like it!

Perfect Metro Car
By aileen on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I live, work, and play in Portland OR, which makes the Mini the perfect car for me. There are few activities more satisfying than sneaking around the behemouth SUVs in traffic or squeezing into tiny little parking spots no normal vehicle could manage. I've had this car for a year and they are an increasingly common site in Portland, but people still comment on it on a near-daily basis. It is impossible for me not to smile when I see it each morning.

Best car for daily fun.
By jeffng65 on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The past 13 months have been absolutely thrilling with this little "supercar." Every day I can't wait to drive it. Of course it is most fun on the twisties. I've driven Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Mercs, and Audis but I wouldn't want any other car as a daily driver. Lots of people complain ride is too stiff but I like it. I have had problems. Its been into service seven times for such things as leaking water pump, leaking coolant tank, to replace lower steering column, a/c howling noise, peeling interior paint, and many rattles. I'm sticking with it though because it is just too much fun!

Maine Mini
By Jano on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my Mini S since February and have been smiling ever since. What a blast to drive! All is well with the S and the service from the dealership has been great.

BUY YELLOW - IT MAY BE A LEMON...:-(
By trbo on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The styling is new and fun. A great go- cart for people that are single, no kids etc etc... Cornering is like that of Porches & Bmws. BUT - once you hit the AC button. Bye bye power... hello lawnmower engine. Give lots of gas off the line to go with AC on. It's like a motorcycle... only have it if it is a 2nd vehicle. here comes the bad part. My first was a lemon - battery blew, shift liinkage broke, and they replaced all drive shafts and bearings...within 4000 miles.

Get One, You'll be Glad You Did
By MGCMAN on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Want to feel 18 again? Be a celeb in your neighborhood? Change from an introvert to an extrovert? Then get a MINI Cooper S. This car begs you to take that bend just a little bit faster, spend some extra time driving the long way home, and talk to complete strangers about it every time you fill up, or even stop for a traffic light. You will enjoy this car.

More Beauty Less Filling
By nyrogrl on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Don't get me wrong...I bought the car out of sheer beauty, and art. Plus was very interested in the sport of the car. My impressions are mixed. First, I also own a 2000 Miata, which was my second for them. So, when I got the MINI S I was prepared to absolutely fall in love. I did, but...little things bug me...1st gear is loud and I do not understand that, cheap sunroof covers, lousy air conditioning, really bad. the handling is great, but the Miata kills it in my opinion. It is a looker, and a great little car, but as much as I wanted to just completely lather over it, my Miata is fantastic too.

Great little car
By Paul Jones on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my Mini Cooper S for 1 year. When I bought it, I thought I would sell it and make a few dollars on the inflated prices of 2002. After driving it for a few days - I had to keep it. This thing handles better than 98% of the cars on the road. It has great power, all the comforts of any luxury car, and is very safe too. The performance aftermarket is very strong too, so there are no compromises to owning this foreign brand (thanks BMW!) I would give the car a big thumbs up.

Brand new, so subjective to some degree
By EricH on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Raw numbers can't explain the experience driving this car! you cannot go (or stop) anywhere without people coming over and asking about it everybody smiles and points and wants to know about the car. I would upgrade to a dustless aftermarket brake pad. The setup of the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal makes the car difficult to downshift using the "heel & toe" technique. Did I mention the car was way too much fun to drive?