Used 2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Mini and Me
By Holly Bell

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Owning a MINI Cooper S is like having a Corvette. Every Mini owner you pass by on the road waves just like the Vette owners. It andles well on the road. I am able to keep up with all the other traffic on the highway. The Cooper S is nimble and quick enough to react in tricky situations, but it is a heavy vehicle that doesn't sway back and forth on the highway when its windy like other vehicles I have owned. this is especially nice when passing tractor trailors.

Favorite Features

I like how easy it is to fit into tight parking spots in this car. Another nice feature is that both back seats go down and you can fit pretty big items back there.

Suggested Improvements

Give it better cup holders that can handle tall coffee cups. Different levels of heat control for the seats instead of high and low would also be nice.

Excellent Car, Too Bad...
By Tomas N

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the MINI Cooper is the most fun that anybody can have with their pants on; it really is that good. It's fast (although could be faster), and the phrase "corners like it's on rails" is a tremendous understatement. Unfortunately, the fun can only be had for 4, maybe 5 days a week, as the Cooper will inevitably spend the rest of the week getting fixed. In the 2+ years that I've had my car, it has been in the shop for a total of about 14-16 times. Everything has been replaced (from the power steering fan, to the entire transmission, and everything in between). I would estimate that the total cost of repairs (under warranty) has been approximately $10-$12K CDN.

Favorite Features

Sharp and edgy styling, Ferrari-like attention for the price of a bag of milk, and most importantly of all performance, performance, performance!

Suggested Improvements

This car is incredible, but unfortunately it's also very, very unreliable. In short, it's more like dating a woman with issues than like being a stable long-term relationship. As great as things can possible be, when it rains it pours, and it's awfully frustrating...

Best Small Car in the World
By st13scott

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Well I haven't had my MINI Cooper S for very long, but it meets or exceeds every expectation I had for the car. How is it that MINI (Read BMW) can pack so much stuff into this price point but no one else can? Bi-xenon lamps in a car with a base price of $20,000! This can not be possible. Then you drive the car, its engine is smooth with a very linear feel to the power, especially considering that it is supercharged. Then you take your favorite corner and realize that it is going to be one of the most fun cars you will ever drive. Taking that corner at great speed, I had as big a smile on my face as I did the first time I hammered on a new 911 Turbo S. The moral of the story is stop reading buy a MINI Cooper S.

Favorite Features

The handling.

Suggested Improvements

Give the car better interior pieces.

Booo for Mini
By CIndy

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My transmission and clutch went out on my car at nearly 68,000 miles. I had to spend $4,000 to have them replaced. I learned how to drive a car with a manual transmission so the problem isn't me riding the clutchor abusing the car. This car is junk. I'd NEVER tell anybody to buy one again!

Favorite Features

The cute design.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality!

love it / hate it
By urbanllc

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can't think of another car I could want after having a MINI; however, especially for the first two years, I can't think of another car that could have given me so much trouble. I'll chalk it up to having bought the first model year. The mpg is poor and not nearly as high as represented. Still, it's a good city car, fun to drive and easy to park. Service at my dealer is superb. Surprisingly, with the backseats down, it can transport quite a lot of cargo.

Favorite Features

The design and looks can't be beat.

Suggested Improvements

Extensions for the sun visors (on the 2002 they are too short to help on the sides); buttons on the steering wheel to switch from AM to FM and/or CD.