Used 2002 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2002 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Can't Wait to Get Another One
By AimlssVail

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car for 4 1/2 years in the Colorado High country. Even on a powder day I wouldn't trade it. It loves the snow and handles awesome. I average well over 30 miles a gallon around town and 40 on a road trip. It will wiz up Vail Pass at high speeds (shhhh don't tell). OK so it can't handle a snowboard over 156cm, I guess that is what the sunroof is for!

Favorite Features

I love the five Channel CD player and sunroof. The leather interior has held up well, even with the dogs riding shotgun.

Suggested Improvements

I understand the lame cup holders have been improved, so no other suggestions.

Runabout Plus!
By johnnie3

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is an amazing automobile for what I got it for. I drive a lot coming and going to work and wanted something other than the traditional Toaster-Box commuter car (PT Cruiser, Toyota Yaris, Ford Focus, etc.) This car has as much equipment as my larger SUV and is just a comfortable and I'm a rather large fellow of 6', 250 lbs. I can still even get four folks in for a run to the movies, mall or what have you. I love it and so far and I'm glad that I bought it. I wish I could have gotten a smarter salesperson at the Mini dealer who told me that there was no certified used program thus causing me to get one someplace else. Whatever, I do most of my own maintenance anyway.

Favorite Features

I love the large sunroof and anti-glare screen. The cruise control is nice, not herky jerky.

Suggested Improvements

A longer wheelbase might be a good one, but then again I hear that the '07s are just that...bigger! I would also like more of an EQ Type of adjustment in the stereo as I listen to various types of recordings that don't reproduce without sounding a bit tinny.

2002 MINI Cooper S
By CqqPER

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For a first year of production vehicle, my Mini has been almost trouble-free. It's a bargain to boot. It is very well designed and constructed. This car is so much fun one should be issued at birth.

Favorite Features

The handling, braking, safety and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Even better gas mileage?

Love My Mini
By steve

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was totally bummed when my Alfa was totaled (pun intended) but owning this Mini has made the passing a positive experience. This is the most fun car I have driven in a long time. Even though I didn't get the faster model, it is plenty quick around town. On a recent 4 hour road trip, we couldn't believe the gas mileage we got on the highway going back and forth from NY to DC in one tank of gas! The car cruised effortlessly at 80 mph the whole way and was a comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

I love the responsiveness of the steering. The car turns on a dime.

"Monster"
By MonsterMINI

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Monster is the license plate of my 2002 Chili Red Mini Cooper S with black bonnet stripes. It is BMW technology at its best - an affordable, compact car that people from all walks of life desire. The history plays a major roll for this car, yet even if this was its first time around, I believe it would be equally as popular simply because of its perfect engineering and carefree lifestyle that it promotes. Whenever MINI owners pass one anther on the street they most always wave or honk, very unusual in today's world of "iPods."

Favorite Features

I love the shift knob, road feel (grip) around corners, dual sunroofs / moonroofs, and radio controls on the steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

nothing!