Used 2002 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Fun
By MILTON

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun car I have ever driven. Its only downfall is that it is a little weak on take off. Its high end speed and gas mileage at the high end are great. There is no way to explain the handling and fun factor.

The handling, fun, and how easy it is to park.

The climate controls are a little hard to reach at 6'3". But on auto you really don't have to adjust them.

Can't Wait to Get Another One
By AimlssVail

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car for 4 1/2 years in the Colorado High country. Even on a powder day I wouldn't trade it. It loves the snow and handles awesome. I average well over 30 miles a gallon around town and 40 on a road trip. It will wiz up Vail Pass at high speeds (shhhh don't tell). OK so it can't handle a snowboard over 156cm, I guess that is what the sunroof is for!

I love the five Channel CD player and sunroof. The leather interior has held up well, even with the dogs riding shotgun.

I understand the lame cup holders have been improved, so no other suggestions.

Runabout Plus!
By johnnie3

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is an amazing automobile for what I got it for. I drive a lot coming and going to work and wanted something other than the traditional Toaster-Box commuter car (PT Cruiser, Toyota Yaris, Ford Focus, etc.) This car has as much equipment as my larger SUV and is just a comfortable and I'm a rather large fellow of 6', 250 lbs. I can still even get four folks in for a run to the movies, mall or what have you. I love it and so far and I'm glad that I bought it. I wish I could have gotten a smarter salesperson at the Mini dealer who told me that there was no certified used program thus causing me to get one someplace else. Whatever, I do most of my own maintenance anyway.

I love the large sunroof and anti-glare screen. The cruise control is nice, not herky jerky.

A longer wheelbase might be a good one, but then again I hear that the '07s are just that...bigger! I would also like more of an EQ Type of adjustment in the stereo as I listen to various types of recordings that don't reproduce without sounding a bit tinny.

2002 MINI Cooper S
By CqqPER

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For a first year of production vehicle, my Mini has been almost trouble-free. It's a bargain to boot. It is very well designed and constructed. This car is so much fun one should be issued at birth.

The handling, braking, safety and reliability.

Even better gas mileage?

Love My Mini
By steve

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was totally bummed when my Alfa was totaled (pun intended) but owning this Mini has made the passing a positive experience. This is the most fun car I have driven in a long time. Even though I didn't get the faster model, it is plenty quick around town. On a recent 4 hour road trip, we couldn't believe the gas mileage we got on the highway going back and forth from NY to DC in one tank of gas! The car cruised effortlessly at 80 mph the whole way and was a comfortable ride.

I love the responsiveness of the steering. The car turns on a dime.