2002 MINI Cooper Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2002 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

Big Kids Go Cart
By Nextboat

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I used to own a 1967 MINI Coooper S. It was great fun, but unreliable, and in the shop constantly. The new MINI Cooper S is everything I could have wanted back then, and more. Handling, Safety, creature comforts, and feels better at 100 miles an hour than most cars. We use this car to move theings when we can't use our 5 series BMW, because we can fit more in with the seats folded down. This is a great car.

Favorite Features

Nav system, and Large sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

A Leather or wood shift knob that doesn't burn your hand on hot days. Better drink holder, although there is an accessory one now.

An Excellent Adventure
By Fanfare

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Never was a car person,but LOVE this car. Great road feel,well-engineered for cheap, and an attention-getter (unforseen outcome). While no 50 mpg,I'm feeling smug with prices at $2.50 per gallon. Don't be deceived by size.Have pictures of car loaded for ski weekend for 2 adults with 3 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of skis, and a snowboard. Not even packed. Only thing I've had to borrow a car for was to borrow a ladder. Both are better borrowed. Couple of little troubles (Power steering pump {made noise,took it in}, loose battery conection {had it towed,felt stupid}, vibration on sunroof easily resealed. All under warranty,as are oil changes every 10K. What a peach. Buying out the lease.

Favorite Features

Transmission, road feel, unobstructed view, ease of parking, radio controls, seat warmers. Appeal!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders don't support American- sized portions, but I like this. It reminds me that we overindulge.

Holy S@#%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By king mini 05'

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Wow!!!!! This car is absolutley amazing. Everything about it rocks!

Favorite Features

The looks you get when you pass Porsches and Mercedes on the highway!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Absativley posilutley NONE! Perfect car in every way!

Love this car
By shuck

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives our MINI Cooper. I wish we had two so that I could drive it all the time. I just can't say enough good things about this car.

Favorite Features

Handling, quality of build, styling,

Suggested Improvements

Just a little more power would be nice.

MINI Cooper
By V M

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My MINI Cooper has been one of the best cars that I have ever owned. I would buy another MINI in a heartbeat. I am 5'10" 240 lbs. and fitting in cars with the width of my back is hard but I fit in this car with no problem. Everyone I know fits in my car, from my 6'4" brother to my 5'4" 120lb girlfriend. This car is great.

Favorite Features

I blove the toggle switches.

Suggested Improvements

Larger cupholders.

Fun Fun Fun!
By rangermike

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my Cooper S for over a year and it has been a wonderful car. Great handling, stable on the highway and lots of fun at the track! It wasn't hard to pass cars 2, 3 and 4x more expensive than the Mini.

Favorite Features

The handling.

Suggested Improvements

More durable interior paint/trim. It scratches really easily.

Nothing "Mini" About It!
By cjkinpa

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I drove an RX7 for the past 15 years and it was hard to give up, but with 2 little boys, I needed a back seat. I still wanted something fun and sporty though. The Cooper certainly fits the bill. Lot's of power, even for the non-S version. A "big car" ride for such a little shrimp. And typical superior Beemer quality throughout. The Sport and Premium packages (leather, on board computer, sunroof, cd player etc.) make it feel even more like a luxury car. But the best part is the feel of this little guy gripping the road. It is an absolute joy to drive. Be prepared to stop and answer lot's of questions about it.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort: It rides smoother than my wife's Accord. Looks: Who couldn't love the design of this thing? Great gas mileage too!

Suggested Improvements

A glove box organizer. Everything falls out upon opening. They are available aftermarket right now and I bought one.

Fun Fun Fun!
By mini cooper

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely fun to drive, excellent handling even without the optional sport suspension! At it's best on the turns, where most other cars have to slow down, the Mini does it with ease. Definitely an eye catcher, solid built construction, economic. Go drive one, take it on a windy road, and get ready to smile :)

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs.

Suggested Improvements

Hope BMW comes up with an even more powerful engine choice for the Cooper S! Perhaps a M-series Mini? With the addition of a more potent powerplant combined with AWD, it would put the Mini ahead of its competitors by a far margin.

Love my Cooper
By sierraja

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a good car to have

Favorite Features

Easy to park, drive and on gas.

Suggested Improvements

None

Mini Mania
By dsmatl

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mini used, only 11,000 miles, as a gas miser. I've only had it a couple of months, but now I can't stand to drive any of our other vehicles. It's June in Atlanta and I'm still driving without the A/C: it's just so darn FUN! I still have one year's worth of bumper-to-bumper manufacturer's warranty (exc. tires). My windshield is cracked, but not unsafe; it's been backordered for 6 weeks so far.

Favorite Features

Handling: I tend to want to speed up going into corners. Looks: total strangers want to talk to you in parking lots about it. Huge Sunroof. Massive engineering points, inside and out. Price:Performance.

Suggested Improvements

More authorized dealerships.