Used 2002 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Most Helpful|
Clutch and Transmission Failure
By Fun in Del Mar

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a lot of trouble initially with the computer system of the car, but the worst is that I had to have the clutch replaced at 75,000. miles and now I need a new transmission at 83,000. miles. Dealer tells me it's my driving - but I have been driving Beemer stick-shifts my whole life - I never had to have either one of those parts replaced until I got to 175,000. miles. Furthermore, all maintenance the car needs is very expensive - which may have to do with individual dealerships. Nor am I happy about the acceleration of the car. It certainly does not compare to any of the 3- series of the BMW's - but then again it's also cheaper.

Favorite Features

Design inside and out

Suggested Improvements

More pep, better cupholders

Best small car on the road!
By tywashin

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have only owned it for about two months, so far it has been a great car. It's very fun to drive. And I like how other mini owners wave when ever we see each other. I draw attention wherever I go. It's also the best car I have ever had on gas. The seats could be a little more comfortable for long road trips.

Favorite Features

I like the 5 spd transmission, which is very fun to drive. And sound system in the car, which has one of the best sounds ever.

Suggested Improvements

I think it needs better arm rests. And a locking gas cap would be nice. And there should be more dealers that work on mini coopers, the closest one to me is a hour away. And most of the parts in the auto parts store has to be ordered. I almost forgot, cup holders could have been twice as big.

Stay Away!
By jennyj

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the previous owner who babied the car and had virtually no mileage. I argued with my family and friends that if I had to drive a "fuel economy" car it would at least not be generic, so I bought the Mini. To say I have been let down with this car and BMW's backing of this car would be the understatement of the millennium! The transmission went at 42,000 miles and the wanted 7,500 to replace it, even though there were hundreds of similar complaints of faulty tranny's, BMW simply turned its head! Next were the window motors, the end caps of the rain gutters, the exhaust (at over a grand), the power steering pump, and more! This car is the biggest pile of garbage around!

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive (when it's running) but that is quickly overshadowed by its poor reliability. BMW should have spent more time mechanically engineering their car instead of spending more on advertising and getting them out to the public before they were ready. It is a mechanical nightmare.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should simply give this car company back to the English because they haven't improved it at mechanically, and that is sad! It actually slid backwards down a hill in the winter through a traffic light! Do not buy this car despite its fun and cute appearance, it is an absolute pile of garbage.

Kudos to this car, so far
By Jim from Indy

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles almost as well as my 1991 Dodge Stealth. Plenty of leg room for 6'2 and above. Just bought it a week ago but no complaints as of yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

Favorite Features

Handling, and fuel economy. Head and leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lamps should be more stable as they vibrate with the more than unstable rubber bushings on the end of the screw bases.

2002 Mini Cooper S
By Lisa

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car has been a real joy to drive. Not only does it handle exceptionally well in all weather conditions, it gets great mileage and has been very reliable. I replaced the run-flat tires with some wider softer tread tires, and that really made the car ride much more smoothly. I just carry a can of flat fixer in case I ever get a flat, which I have not in all the years I've owned it. I always tell people that the mini is not a luxury car, it drives like a sports car. The design is extremely utilitarian, which I like! I think everyone should own a Mini!

Favorite Features

Dashboard design, handling around curves, responsiveness... when I step on the gas she goes!