2002 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Can't Wait to Get Another One
By AimlssVail on 12/11/06 20:13 PM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car for 4 1/2 years in the Colorado High country. Even on a powder day I wouldn't trade it. It loves the snow and handles awesome. I average well over 30 miles a gallon around town and 40 on a road trip. It will wiz up Vail Pass at high speeds (shhhh don't tell). OK so it can't handle a snowboard over 156cm, I guess that is what the sunroof is for!

Runabout Plus!
By johnnie3 on 11/16/06 08:32 AM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is an amazing automobile for what I got it for. I drive a lot coming and going to work and wanted something other than the traditional Toaster-Box commuter car (PT Cruiser, Toyota Yaris, Ford Focus, etc.) This car has as much equipment as my larger SUV and is just a comfortable and I'm a rather large fellow of 6', 250 lbs. I can still even get four folks in for a run to the movies, mall or what have you. I love it and so far and I'm glad that I bought it. I wish I could have gotten a smarter salesperson at the Mini dealer who told me that there was no certified used program thus causing me to get one someplace else. Whatever, I do most of my own maintenance anyway.

2002 MINI Cooper S
By CqqPER on 09/09/06 09:40 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For a first year of production vehicle, my Mini has been almost trouble-free. It's a bargain to boot. It is very well designed and constructed. This car is so much fun one should be issued at birth.

Love My Mini
By steve on 05/31/06 12:51 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was totally bummed when my Alfa was totaled (pun intended) but owning this Mini has made the passing a positive experience. This is the most fun car I have driven in a long time. Even though I didn't get the faster model, it is plenty quick around town. On a recent 4 hour road trip, we couldn't believe the gas mileage we got on the highway going back and forth from NY to DC in one tank of gas! The car cruised effortlessly at 80 mph the whole way and was a comfortable ride.

"Monster"
By MonsterMINI on 05/20/06 23:32 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Monster is the license plate of my 2002 Chili Red Mini Cooper S with black bonnet stripes. It is BMW technology at its best - an affordable, compact car that people from all walks of life desire. The history plays a major roll for this car, yet even if this was its first time around, I believe it would be equally as popular simply because of its perfect engineering and carefree lifestyle that it promotes. Whenever MINI owners pass one anther on the street they most always wave or honk, very unusual in today's world of "iPods."

Mini and Me
By Holly Bell on 02/02/06 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Owning a MINI Cooper S is like having a Corvette. Every Mini owner you pass by on the road waves just like the Vette owners. It andles well on the road. I am able to keep up with all the other traffic on the highway. The Cooper S is nimble and quick enough to react in tricky situations, but it is a heavy vehicle that doesn't sway back and forth on the highway when its windy like other vehicles I have owned. this is especially nice when passing tractor trailors.

Excellent Car, Too Bad...
By Tomas N on 01/23/06 11:46 AM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the MINI Cooper is the most fun that anybody can have with their pants on; it really is that good. It's fast (although could be faster), and the phrase "corners like it's on rails" is a tremendous understatement. Unfortunately, the fun can only be had for 4, maybe 5 days a week, as the Cooper will inevitably spend the rest of the week getting fixed. In the 2+ years that I've had my car, it has been in the shop for a total of about 14-16 times. Everything has been replaced (from the power steering fan, to the entire transmission, and everything in between). I would estimate that the total cost of repairs (under warranty) has been approximately $10-$12K CDN.

Best Small Car in the World
By st13scott on 01/01/06 12:14 PM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Well I haven't had my MINI Cooper S for very long, but it meets or exceeds every expectation I had for the car. How is it that MINI (Read BMW) can pack so much stuff into this price point but no one else can? Bi-xenon lamps in a car with a base price of $20,000! This can not be possible. Then you drive the car, its engine is smooth with a very linear feel to the power, especially considering that it is supercharged. Then you take your favorite corner and realize that it is going to be one of the most fun cars you will ever drive. Taking that corner at great speed, I had as big a smile on my face as I did the first time I hammered on a new 911 Turbo S. The moral of the story is stop reading buy a MINI Cooper S.

Booo for Mini
By CIndy on 10/06/05 18:33 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My transmission and clutch went out on my car at nearly 68,000 miles. I had to spend $4,000 to have them replaced. I learned how to drive a car with a manual transmission so the problem isn't me riding the clutchor abusing the car. This car is junk. I'd NEVER tell anybody to buy one again!

love it / hate it
By urbanllc on 09/06/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can't think of another car I could want after having a MINI; however, especially for the first two years, I can't think of another car that could have given me so much trouble. I'll chalk it up to having bought the first model year. The mpg is poor and not nearly as high as represented. Still, it's a good city car, fun to drive and easy to park. Service at my dealer is superb. Surprisingly, with the backseats down, it can transport quite a lot of cargo.