Used 2002 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

"uncle"
By cheryl,

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive, rivaling other imports I've had. It has plenty of power to render confidence in passing and on ramp approach, corners on a dime, and has awesome gas milage without performance trade-off. However, I've experienced way too many costly repairs ie. engine wire harness, intake valve module, cooling fan module, power steering pump etc. It's time to cut my losses. Regretable, I scream uncle.

I live on a hill in New England. The traction control makes it a great winter car.

Quality. This could be a great eco friendly car.

Clutch and Transmission Failure
By Fun in Del Mar

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a lot of trouble initially with the computer system of the car, but the worst is that I had to have the clutch replaced at 75,000. miles and now I need a new transmission at 83,000. miles. Dealer tells me it's my driving - but I have been driving Beemer stick-shifts my whole life - I never had to have either one of those parts replaced until I got to 175,000. miles. Furthermore, all maintenance the car needs is very expensive - which may have to do with individual dealerships. Nor am I happy about the acceleration of the car. It certainly does not compare to any of the 3- series of the BMW's - but then again it's also cheaper.

Design inside and out

More pep, better cupholders

Mighty
By T Ritchison

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My Mini S, makes me smile. It's everything I ever wanted in a small car. Lots of fun to drive. The 6 speed is awesome. The engine is very reponsive. I've taken many long trips. The hum of the engine & exhaust at 60- 80 MPH, is music. Never had so much fun. I'm a backpacker. The room in the back is perfect for wine, hiking poles, cooler, 1 large suitcase and 2 back packs. My only dislike; the run flat tires. Expensive to replace and are good for about 25-27 G's. But I can live with that! I believe, its the best reproduction ever. My Mini & Me. My license plate is MIGHTY. Its that and then some. Wow!

Style, comfort, the dash board and CD. Awesome sound. I love the tu-tone paint. The six speed transmission is tight. The Mini brings lots of smiles to children and adults alike. I think when people see it, it makes them have a happier day. I know it does me.

Better cup holder's, solid colors, with large GT stripes down the middle (complete wrap). Rear intense red light for driving in fog or severe weather. (European)

2002 Mini Cooper S
By Lisa

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car has been a real joy to drive. Not only does it handle exceptionally well in all weather conditions, it gets great mileage and has been very reliable. I replaced the run-flat tires with some wider softer tread tires, and that really made the car ride much more smoothly. I just carry a can of flat fixer in case I ever get a flat, which I have not in all the years I've owned it. I always tell people that the mini is not a luxury car, it drives like a sports car. The design is extremely utilitarian, which I like! I think everyone should own a Mini!

Dashboard design, handling around curves, responsiveness... when I step on the gas she goes!

Best Car. . .Ever
By Drew

2002 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The MINI Cooper S is, without a doubt, one of the greatest autos ever delivered to the masses. It combines just about every ideal for a car, from safety to sporty, economy to performance, capacity to compactness (read "park it anywhere"). I've had mine for a year and have literally nothing but praise for it, and can't wait to drive it every time I've got to go somewhere. Now I'm just wondering when the honeymoon will end.

Size for parking is #1. Gas mileage, grip and cornering, acceleration, huge sunroof, transmission.

Seats are comfy, but could be a little better for longer rides. Engine/road noise is great for the sporty feel of the car, but can get tiresome if you spend the whole day driving. Stock stereo could use an upgrade (standard AUX input would be nice).