2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Best small car on the road!
By tywashin on 07/07/10 03:58 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have only owned it for about two months, so far it has been a great car. It's very fun to drive. And I like how other mini owners wave when ever we see each other. I draw attention wherever I go. It's also the best car I have ever had on gas. The seats could be a little more comfortable for long road trips.

Stay Away!
By jennyj on 06/06/10 23:11 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the previous owner who babied the car and had virtually no mileage. I argued with my family and friends that if I had to drive a "fuel economy" car it would at least not be generic, so I bought the Mini. To say I have been let down with this car and BMW's backing of this car would be the understatement of the millennium! The transmission went at 42,000 miles and the wanted 7,500 to replace it, even though there were hundreds of similar complaints of faulty tranny's, BMW simply turned its head! Next were the window motors, the end caps of the rain gutters, the exhaust (at over a grand), the power steering pump, and more! This car is the biggest pile of garbage around!

Very upset!!
By ghost on 09/30/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2002 Mini last Aug. 2007. I have driven it less than 3 thousand miles..if even that much. I was told today that something called the Final Drive needed to be replaced and the Transmission was messed up. Being that our economy is so great and I can't get a job- I couldn't afford the thousands it cost to fix it.. and lost over thousands in letting it go for pennies. I am saddened beyond belief that a car that I thought was so incredible, after all, a BMW etc., turned out to be the biggest lemon that I have ever purchased. OK.. I loved that car for the whole time I had it.. and now.. feel so very let down!

Kudos to this car, so far
By Jim from Indy on 06/09/08 19:52 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles almost as well as my 1991 Dodge Stealth. Plenty of leg room for 6'2 and above. Just bought it a week ago but no complaints as of yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

"uncle"
By cheryl, on 05/26/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive, rivaling other imports I've had. It has plenty of power to render confidence in passing and on ramp approach, corners on a dime, and has awesome gas milage without performance trade-off. However, I've experienced way too many costly repairs ie. engine wire harness, intake valve module, cooling fan module, power steering pump etc. It's time to cut my losses. Regretable, I scream uncle.

Clutch and Transmission Failure
By Fun in Del Mar on 04/03/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a lot of trouble initially with the computer system of the car, but the worst is that I had to have the clutch replaced at 75,000. miles and now I need a new transmission at 83,000. miles. Dealer tells me it's my driving - but I have been driving Beemer stick-shifts my whole life - I never had to have either one of those parts replaced until I got to 175,000. miles. Furthermore, all maintenance the car needs is very expensive - which may have to do with individual dealerships. Nor am I happy about the acceleration of the car. It certainly does not compare to any of the 3- series of the BMW's - but then again it's also cheaper.

Mighty
By T Ritchison on 02/08/08 08:33 AM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My Mini S, makes me smile. It's everything I ever wanted in a small car. Lots of fun to drive. The 6 speed is awesome. The engine is very reponsive. I've taken many long trips. The hum of the engine & exhaust at 60- 80 MPH, is music. Never had so much fun. I'm a backpacker. The room in the back is perfect for wine, hiking poles, cooler, 1 large suitcase and 2 back packs. My only dislike; the run flat tires. Expensive to replace and are good for about 25-27 G's. But I can live with that! I believe, its the best reproduction ever. My Mini & Me. My license plate is MIGHTY. Its that and then some. Wow!

2002 Mini Cooper S
By Lisa on 10/01/07 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car has been a real joy to drive. Not only does it handle exceptionally well in all weather conditions, it gets great mileage and has been very reliable. I replaced the run-flat tires with some wider softer tread tires, and that really made the car ride much more smoothly. I just carry a can of flat fixer in case I ever get a flat, which I have not in all the years I've owned it. I always tell people that the mini is not a luxury car, it drives like a sports car. The design is extremely utilitarian, which I like! I think everyone should own a Mini!

Best Car. . .Ever
By Drew on 06/07/07 10:21 AM (PDT)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The MINI Cooper S is, without a doubt, one of the greatest autos ever delivered to the masses. It combines just about every ideal for a car, from safety to sporty, economy to performance, capacity to compactness (read "park it anywhere"). I've had mine for a year and have literally nothing but praise for it, and can't wait to drive it every time I've got to go somewhere. Now I'm just wondering when the honeymoon will end.

Fun
By MILTON on 02/15/07 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun car I have ever driven. Its only downfall is that it is a little weak on take off. Its high end speed and gas mileage at the high end are great. There is no way to explain the handling and fun factor.