Used 2012 MINI Cooper Roadster Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 MINI Cooper Roadster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Roadster model:

2012 Mini Cooper Roadster (base w/Auto Trans)
By wade09

2012 MINI Cooper Roadster Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a used 2012 Mini Cooper Roadster Base model with auto transmission about 1 year ago. This car is my first convertible and is more fun than any other car I have owned in the past 40 years. I am constantly looking for an excuse to drive it. I get favorable comments from strangers about the car all the time. It now has 17k miles on it and I have not had any mechanical issues at all. The car as purchased did ride too rough for my taste but switching to Koni FSD struts and non-run flat tires has cured that issue. I have no idea what car I could ever buy to replace this. Even my Nissan 370Z seemed boring in comparison.

Handles like a go-cart. Great fuel economy. The convertible top goes up and down very quickly. The trunk is very big. The base stereo system works very well. Tons of head and legroom (i am 6'2").

Koni FSD struts should be standard equipment, or at least optional.

2012 MINI Roadster Convertible S
By bardoc

2012 MINI Cooper Roadster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun, fun, and more fun! This is the most amount of fun I have ever had driving a car. Nothing else compares! As far as convertibles I have owned a Miata, Z4 and a Mustang GT in the past and this Mini has a fun factor those 3 could not touch. Sure the Mini is not the fastest out of those 3, but they did not evoke a fun to drive attitude as much as the Mini. The option list on the Mini is crazy good, and (take note BMW) everything works like it is supposed to. The upgraded stereo is a must and so is the semi automatic top. By the way the 2013 have the semi-auto top standard.

So hard to narrow this down but....... Stereo, Nav, Mini connect (sooo many things you can do with this one), look of the upgraded leather seats, sound of the exhaust, gas mileage, how it shifts/transmission, how it drives/amazing handling ability, trunk size, easy to park, rear parking sensor, auto windshield wipers, pass through to trunk, toggle switches, build your own options, and most of all, all the non-stop great comments I get at the gas station, traffic lights and getting out at grocery store.

My only frustration is the convertible could use a second layer as it is noisy like my first Miata was, and no universal remote available yet. Come on Mini, really?

Cooper S Roadster
By fasttr

2012 MINI Cooper Roadster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Probably the most fun you can have on the road. Yes the ride is a little stiff (which is not helped by the OEM run-flat tires provided) but drop the top and begin to smile. The roadster actually has a trunk that is usable along with a package storage shelf behind the seats that can hold small parcels, small gym bag, etc. Add to that Mini build quality and BMW engineering and the result is one of the best cars I have owned.

Convertible top and 181HP turbocharged engine. I'm 6 feet tall and I can easily open and close the manual top while seated. The wind deflector is designed to fold in half to allow you to more easily reach the top to lift it. Depending on your height you may be better off jumping out of the car to lift the top up. I suspect most drivers could drop the top while seated. Putting the top down does not change the luggage space. It's remarkably well designed when folded and the top creates it's own tonneau cover.

Run flats just ride rough, this is true on all makes of cars it is especially noticeable on the roadster.