2014 MINI Cooper Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 MINI Cooper Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Coupe model:

Extroverted Car
By Ralph M. Ciccarelli

2014 MINI Cooper Coupe John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

2014 JCW Coupe with auto transmission. I got this car with track days in mind. I have had about five other Mini's and I wanted the sport, JCW model with paddle shifters for the track and road trips. So, I figured good sporty road trip car and competent track car, kind of like a BMW M.

The best things about the car are the styling inside and out. I do not drive boring cars. You will not look like anything else on the road. One of the best things is the trunk. With the rear seats of a regular MINI removed you get an amazing amount of room. Two people with modest to light duffle bag type luggage will have no problem. Compare to any car of similar size like a Miata. The gas mileage is amazing for a peppy sporty car. I got over 40mpg at times in the mountains and pretty much mid to high 30's going to Vegas. Next, the sound system rocks and they finally got much better at sound proofing the Mini, too, although it is not lux sedan quiet.

My biggest disappointment is that the suspension is the same as a standard MINI. You get Brembo's which look cool and stop on a dime but unless you order upgraded and sport suspension items it is the same as a standard hardtop. The pedal is standard, too with near soccer mom delays. I did an autocross with quick accelerations and decelerations and it was always a hair behind. You can get a chip to put behind the pedal but why isn't a JCW retuned for that to start? On a track at speed probably not a problem but I have not done it, yet.

• Sedan