Used 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

Love my little mini!
By minilover5982

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for a car that would be perfect for my family if 3 but still work if we decide to have another child. My husband and I were both astonished by the room in the backseat! He could sit back there no problem and he's 6'3. I knew I wanted a suv but I wanTed something not too bulky. This fit the bill and then some. The sound is good so I won need to replace anything and I love how the keyless entry is standard. It's a joy to drive and my husband and I fight over the drivers seat. Even my 7 year old thinks mommy has a cool car. We don't drive to work so I doubt we will have much engine problems and it's keeps the gas cheap. Wasn't a fan to find out it takes premium gas.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry. Push to start. panoramic sunroof. Spacious cargo space. Acceleration is fab. Easy to park!

This was my dream car
By lizzy_2005

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Emphasis on was. I have owned this car for just under 1 year, less then 10k miles on it and already having major issues that I haven't experienced with any other car brand. AC and acceleration are both having issues. There is an oil leak that is a manufacturer defect that they cant pin-point. The AV jack takes the perfect amount of TLC to function. The dealership I took it in to service for makes the whole experience even worse. Over all the quality and craftsmanship make this car not worth the price. This car is a absolute joy to drive but I am not sure it is worth it. Maybe a good car to rent but with my experience I will not buy another MINI.

Favorite Features

Center speedometer, like the classic Austin MINI. Cold weather package- heated seats. All wheel drive handles really well in snow and bad weather. Fun and responsive handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the known manufacturer defects that are common in MINI's or lower the price. Improve quality of the engineering.

Poor Clutch Design
By dhtchk

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned 7 manual cars over my lifetime. My year old MC Countryman S 2013's clutch never felt quite right, especially on hills. I learned this past week how wrong it is --and that MC knows this and does not have a fix. I was stuck in a mile of stop and go traffic --ON A HILL. By 1/3 of the way up, the clutch was burning and smoking and I had tremendous difficulty getting to the top safely. Although the burn smell lingered for another week, the clutch performed fine after that --no smoking no slipping. I finally took it into the dealer to check it out. Bottom line: Countryman clutches smoke on hills; expect it to burn out; hopefully it'll do so within warranty period. YIKES.

Suggested Improvements

Engineer a clutch that can actually support the weight of the Countryman and retrofit it to all Countrymans!

Simply the best bang for your buck.
By ijeremy

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

In this price range you're faced with a dreary econo-box, stripped out sedan or something else uninspired. My main goal when purchasing a brand new car was something with space, great gas mileage and FUN to drive. The Countryman checks every box and then some! Don't get me wrong... There are other cars in this segment that are great value, but the Countryman is the only one you'll take a second look at when you're walking away from it in a parking lot. Why not have your cake and eat it too?!

Favorite Features

Heated leather, snappy gear-change, TONS of space considering the dimensions, great handling, MPG's, Bluetooth as standard.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would be welcomed, but revving the nuts off of it constantly is sorta' the idea!

Not "more fun in a MINI"
By samalita

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman John Cooper Works ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Since the day I picked the car up at the dealer I had a problem. The radio overheated and turned off on my drive home. I've had it in the shop over four times, the radio replaced, and it still has the same problem. Apparently all Mini's have this problem; it's not just mine. They pulled other Coopers off the lot to perform the same test, and found the same result. I was finally was turned over to the regional office to resolve my issue since the radio is "operating as designed". After four months of dealing with them, I'm offered either a buy back for a fraction of the price, or a cash settlement to buy an after market radio which doesn't exist.

Favorite Features

The heated seats and headlamps; that's it.

Suggested Improvements

Design a radio that works for longer than an hour Install the suspension from the BMW's on the MINI's Work on the automatic 2WD to 4WD; it needs much improvement Build a satisfactory product instead of trying to buy off unhappy customers