Used 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

This was my dream car
By lizzy_2005

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Emphasis on was. I have owned this car for just under 1 year, less then 10k miles on it and already having major issues that I haven't experienced with any other car brand. AC and acceleration are both having issues. There is an oil leak that is a manufacturer defect that they cant pin-point. The AV jack takes the perfect amount of TLC to function. The dealership I took it in to service for makes the whole experience even worse. Over all the quality and craftsmanship make this car not worth the price. This car is a absolute joy to drive but I am not sure it is worth it. Maybe a good car to rent but with my experience I will not buy another MINI.

Favorite Features

Center speedometer, like the classic Austin MINI. Cold weather package- heated seats. All wheel drive handles really well in snow and bad weather. Fun and responsive handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the known manufacturer defects that are common in MINI's or lower the price. Improve quality of the engineering.

Nothing But Problems....Throw-Away Cars
By dxtreem1

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman John Cooper Works ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

THOSE CARS ARE GARBAGE I would give them "0" stars if I could..... Very long story but I will keep this brief . Just picked up my 7 month old car which has been shopped on 4 different occasions 31 days and a full car payment, not to include the days spent sitting in they lot before getting diagnosed..... Twice for tires, run flats suck btw, once for water/ coolant pump failure (replaced with refurbished pump) lastly for new engine........yes I said it new engine.....11,500 miles The service manager tried to blame me initially, stated that mini wouldn't cover a new engine repair, buuuuutttttt then when they found that the oil had coolant in it, they changed their tune. CORPORATE USELESS👎

FUn to drive
By rvanurse

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Handles like a dream and good mpg's for a sporty taller carlike "SUV. Perfect ride height, plenty of interior space. Power and accelerator feel are excellent. Get the S, get the manuel 6 speed and you will not be disappointed. Take good care of it and maintain it and it will take care of you for years to come and you will have so much fun. This is my second mini-cooper purchase and I have owned all brands. In my opinion this is one of the most satisfying mini coopers. Also HK system rocks if you can spring for it!

Favorite Features

S model, panoramic sunroof, MPG's, refined smooth BMW like drive and power feel.

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility improvement, back up camera std.

Not "more fun in a MINI"
By samalita

Since the day I picked the car up at the dealer I had a problem. The radio overheated and turned off on my drive home. I've had it in the shop over four times, the radio replaced, and it still has the same problem. Apparently all Mini's have this problem; it's not just mine. They pulled other Coopers off the lot to perform the same test, and found the same result. I was finally was turned over to the regional office to resolve my issue since the radio is "operating as designed". After four months of dealing with them, I'm offered either a buy back for a fraction of the price, or a cash settlement to buy an after market radio which doesn't exist.

Favorite Features

The heated seats and headlamps; that's it.

Suggested Improvements

Design a radio that works for longer than an hour Install the suspension from the BMW's on the MINI's Work on the automatic 2WD to 4WD; it needs much improvement Build a satisfactory product instead of trying to buy off unhappy customers

Poor Clutch Design
By dhtchk

2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned 7 manual cars over my lifetime. My year old MC Countryman S 2013's clutch never felt quite right, especially on hills. I learned this past week how wrong it is --and that MC knows this and does not have a fix. I was stuck in a mile of stop and go traffic --ON A HILL. By 1/3 of the way up, the clutch was burning and smoking and I had tremendous difficulty getting to the top safely. Although the burn smell lingered for another week, the clutch performed fine after that --no smoking no slipping. I finally took it into the dealer to check it out. Bottom line: Countryman clutches smoke on hills; expect it to burn out; hopefully it'll do so within warranty period. YIKES.

Suggested Improvements

Engineer a clutch that can actually support the weight of the Countryman and retrofit it to all Countrymans!