Fun to drive but interior so so
By dipankarc on
2012 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Fun car to drive (not sure why one of the reviewers didn't like it so much) - I think the boost of the turbocharger on the Cooper S is great. I drive a six speed and find changing gears smooth specially between 1 and 2 which to me is the true test of a manual. I used to drive an Accord with a manual and it was a pain to shift (if you can find one these days). I find it a pleasant change from drive a boat of an average mid size car however the looks of a Ford Fusion is tempting. Interior not so great. Bench seat is an option!!
Favorite Features
I have to say the best feature of the car is it's pickup. I have never driven another Mini in the past and can't compare to one - but I like the way the car moves from 2nd to 3rd to 4th. I was a bit surprised how roomy the car is. I also like the gas mileage it gives - time will tell how well it will hold up. I have mine outfitted with Neon lights and enjoyed playing around with all the different color and roof color options. I gave a '5' for performance I find the pickup of this car exhilarating. I wish Japanese and American cars returned to their roots - I remember seeing a Toyota Celica many years back and nowadays Toyota does not even offer a sports car!!
Suggested Improvements
Again given everything said interior leaves a little to be desired. Radio is a bit quirky and took me some time to figure out the speed sensitive wipers. Settings button is a pain and not sure why Mini couldn't do something better. I definitely recommend $250 USB port option if you don't sign up for the nav package. And speaking about options - everything is a option which could add up the $$ quickly. I wish BMW kept it simple and came out with different packages for options as it does for the different engine types - base, S and All 4. Interior design is '3' and leaves room for improvement.