Used 2012 MINI Cooper Countryman S Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mini Cooper-countryman - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

Fun to drive but interior so so
By dipankarc

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive (not sure why one of the reviewers didn't like it so much) - I think the boost of the turbocharger on the Cooper S is great. I drive a six speed and find changing gears smooth specially between 1 and 2 which to me is the true test of a manual. I used to drive an Accord with a manual and it was a pain to shift (if you can find one these days). I find it a pleasant change from drive a boat of an average mid size car however the looks of a Ford Fusion is tempting. Interior not so great. Bench seat is an option!!

Favorite Features

I have to say the best feature of the car is it's pickup. I have never driven another Mini in the past and can't compare to one - but I like the way the car moves from 2nd to 3rd to 4th. I was a bit surprised how roomy the car is. I also like the gas mileage it gives - time will tell how well it will hold up. I have mine outfitted with Neon lights and enjoyed playing around with all the different color and roof color options. I gave a '5' for performance I find the pickup of this car exhilarating. I wish Japanese and American cars returned to their roots - I remember seeing a Toyota Celica many years back and nowadays Toyota does not even offer a sports car!!

Suggested Improvements

Again given everything said interior leaves a little to be desired. Radio is a bit quirky and took me some time to figure out the speed sensitive wipers. Settings button is a pain and not sure why Mini couldn't do something better. I definitely recommend $250 USB port option if you don't sign up for the nav package. And speaking about options - everything is a option which could add up the $$ quickly. I wish BMW kept it simple and came out with different packages for options as it does for the different engine types - base, S and All 4. Interior design is '3' and leaves room for improvement.

Could Have Been SO Much Better
By so_cali

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own a 2012 Mini Countryman S AT FWD. Apparently Edmunds doesn't think they make an auto trans as there is no option for choosing one as your model. This car looks SO cool and drives great except for the harshness of the runflat tires. No spare tire and no place for one. No back up camera. Cupholders placement and size are a joke and the whole rail system is silly and causes rattles. Get the three across back seat and avoid the rear rail at least. AC could be better. Navi and almost everything about the interior is pointless in that you need to take a class to learn how everything works and everything is placed where it shouldn't be. A whole lot of counter intuitive design.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, roof colors, how it drives (except for the runflat tires).

Suggested Improvements

Where to start. The base model is a complete dog. The S should be the base model. The interior needs a complete redesign. Deeper armrest - it won't even hold a CD, move parking brake and then cupholders further back. Put window controls on the doors and improve door armrest location. Lose the center rail - it causes rattles and is way too cute to be functional. Put in a navi system that is worth what it costs. Hint: Garmin does it right - why try to reinvent the best? Take responsibility for gaffes - like cupholders, weak AC, overpriced Navi, no spare or place for one and on and on. There is no excuse for not improving this vehicle. If BMW did, wow - it would be SO much better!

Great car
By mike360

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought the 2012 Countryman S with an automatic transmission. This car is really fun to drive - the most fun I've had driving since my 1965 MGB. I love the steering - it's tight and very responsive. Acceleration is fantastic, and the sport mode is awesome. The design of this car is really cool, and it's great having a car that doesn't look like the "cookie cutter" cars out there - they all look pretty much the same. We've only had it for about two months, and it's amazing how many people have asked about the car when we pull into a parking lot. Everyone thinks it's really a neat car. I'm 6'2", and there's plenty of head room and leg room.

Favorite Features

Overall design - interior and exterior, handling, seat comfort while driving, heated seats, sport mode, sound system, storage in the rear, headlights are great, and the FUN factor.

Suggested Improvements

There's nothing I would suggest to improve - it's perfect.